Updates

  • Denise Gloster
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 4:25 AM

      Hello HCBA, Hillman City residents, and friends,

      I hope you are all doing well!  And, hope you are preparing for more citizen action on community building, clean up, organizing, marching, training, and planning to work with us to make change rather waiting to see what happens.  Though I have a lot to communicate to you and piles of work besides, I'll try to be entertaining to some degree and hopefully provide a least a small bit of information that is significant to you specifically.

      Thank you for supporting our work over the last three years!  As we begin our fourth year (YAY!!) I'll start by announcing our newest members and welcome to the Eyman's Pizza, Brooks Barbershop, and SE Senior Center to HCBA!  Other recent memberships are AfrikandoAfrikando and Gambia International.

      At HCBA we are pretty short-handed, things are going well regardless, and we could use your help.  There are lots of things to do!  Please join us at one of our next meetings to see how you can help out.

      HCBA GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at Rainier House, 5270 Rainier Av S., from 9:30- 10:45am

      Joining us this month is Jennifer Britton from SDOT/DON; she'll be explaining about how and when our NSF project will be happening.  Everyone I've spoken with at the City tells me this is a pretty big project and we should be very happy about it. Along with Jennifer, to inform us on how CIP funds will be incorporated complete HCBA's sidewalk project, will be Jonathan Dong, also of SDOT.

      At our last meeting we heard a little about the timecapsule project and that the radio hart heart may be sold back to radio hart the original owners.

      Crime, safety, leaving and new business updates...

      There's a new dollar store in town and the owner/operator has applied for a liquor license.  Please see the "Notice of Liquor License Application" pdf attached to this message and posted at our yahoo group (    ) for more information.  Anyone wishing to protest the application may do so as follows:

      From: <LILAC.citywide@...>
      Date: 17 Mar 2009 08:58:56 -0700
      To: Shelly Bates <sbates@...>, <DianeC.davis@...>,
      <rebecca.frestedt@...>, Kathy Kaminski <kathy@...>,
      <james.koutsky@...>, <Ann.Martin@...>, John McGoodwin
      <John.McGoodwin@...>, Kathy Nyland <alamodem@...>,
      <bob.peth@...>, Mariana Quarnstrom <mquarn@...>,
      <Ralph.siu@...>, <Christopher.skilton@...>, Sharron
      Underwood <Sharron.Underwood@...>, <Rachel.white@...>
      Subject: New Application Review Assignment

      DATE:03/17/2009
      TO:SEE DISTRIBUTION
      FROM:Bill Reddy, Nightlife Premises Coordinator
      Revenue and Consumber Affairs/License Enforcement Unit
      SUBJECT:New Application

      The attached Notice of Liquor License Application was recently received
      by the City of Seattle.  The applicant(s) has applied for a license to
      sell liquor within the City limits.  The City is seeking comments or
      information concerning whether to support the issuance of this license.

      NAME OF LICENSEE:MENGISTU, ALEXANDER A.
      ADDRESS:5603 RAINIER AVE. S., SEATTLE, WASH.  98118-2442
      TRADE NAME:A  G DOLLAR STORE
      LICENSE#:087775

      YOU HAVE 10 DAYS TO RESPOND TO THIS NOTICE.  Please submit any comments
      or information concerning the location, applicant(s) or type of license
      that you believe will assist the City in making its decision.  If we do
      not receive a response we will assume you have no comments or
      information to provide.  Send responses to Mr. Bill Reddy, Dept. of
      Executive Administration/Revenue and Consumer Affairs/License
      Enforcement Unit; 700 – 5th Ave., Ste. 4250, P.O. Box 34214 Seattle,
      Wash.  98104-5020
      .

      LICENSE DESK NO LATER THAN 03/27/2009
      For City of Seattle Reviewers:  Please log in to the Lilac system
      http://lilac/ to enter your comments regarding this Liquor License
      Application
      .

      For community group participants:  Please reply to this email
      notification by adding any comments or observations about the
      establishment that you wish to make.

      Thank you for providing your comments.

      THERE IS NO NEED TO RESPOND

      During the last 6-8 months, the building at the SE corner of Rainier Av S and S Findlay St changed hands and now has a new owner.  I recently attended a meeting with local police and other law officials.  At that meeting the current owner of the building was informed of felony activity at the site, reportedly several police in heavy gear were at the scene during the last few weeks and the tenants of the non-cafe are being evicted.  We are glad to see the gambling den leave HC and concerned about the number of we are storefronts sitting empty.

      Empty storefronts as well as the level of and/or lack of activity on our streets, are related to crime and safety.   Take a look for yourself at some of the available spots in Hillman City and consider that you may know a perfect business or business person for that store, for HC, and to serve your community's needs.  You can make a few phone calls; it can't hurt.

      Kate Quinn Organics recently moved business to Kirkland and the BBQ Pitt owner, Ed Whitfield finally decided to throw in the towel.

      More BUSINESS NEWS

      I stopped in to Eyman's Pizza if you haven't tried it, you should; the pizza is delicious!  The owner's name is Thunni (pronounced tune--ee) and you'll like him too.  Pizza at Eyman's is Halal!  Be sure to tell your friends!

      Some IMPORTANT DATES and ACTIVITIES!

                APRIL 25, 2009 -- B2B Clean Up on EARTH Day 2009!

      Come out and help pick up litter, weed treewells and traffic circles, paint out grafitti.  HCBA will offer coffee from 10:30am at Jean VelDyke Properties, LLC. Let me know if you are able to help out with organizing the clean up in Hillman City or if you can help out that day.  I can always use help with picking up and returning coffee containers, donuts, and tools.

      Help HCBA pick dates and themes for other calendar events this year...

      JUNE -- a community picnic

      JULY -- outdoor movie

      AUGUST 4, 2009, Night Out!

      SEPTEMBER -- outdoor movie

      OCTOBER -- Fall clean up

      Rainier Avenue Church -- Help out with the Devine Makeover and bring your friends!  There is a need for skilled craftsmen to come out to share their skills during weekends in April and May.  Please call Debra Davis-Bell at 722.5616 and sign up today!

      That's all for now.  Good day to you!

      Denise Gloster, President'

      HCBA

      206.723.4637

      206.795.5824

    • zanefitchsr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1 2:50 PM
        Denise it would not be good for our area

        Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

        From: Michael Williams
        Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 14:51:23 -0700 (PDT)
        To: <HillmanCityBusinessAssociation@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Re: [HillmanCityBusinessAssociation] Updates

        Thanks for the update, Denise, and for all your efforts on behalf of our community.  In our efforts to fill empty storefronts, let us not be tempted to support businesses that are not approved.

        On the dollar store liquor application, let me just say:  If they can sell anything stronger than beer for a dollar, I'm all for them.

        -- Michael Williams

        From: <LILAC.citywide@ seattle.gov>
        Date: 17 Mar 2009 08:58:56 -0700
        To: Shelly Bates <sbates@zipcon. com>, <DianeC.davis@ seattle.gov>,

[...]