Hello

  • clan_geddin
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
      Hello All

      This is the obligatory intro. I have been gaming for a long time.

      I originally started updating my own forge form heroforge97 back in
      1999. A year or two ago I ran across Shannon Greene web sit with the
      3.5 version on it. I have now been updating that sheet with the rest
      of the 3.5 books that I have. I have gotten a little lax in the last
      couple of months, and have not been updating it as much. The latest
      book I am adding into my sheet is the races of stone.

      I was running around the net the other day. I went to check up on
      Shannon's sight and saw that this group had been formed to work on the
      Excel Sheet. I was interested to see what other people had done and
      possibly work cooperatively on it with people.

      Todd
    • drakos_dj
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 26, 2010
        Hello,

        I am happy to be here and to have the oppertunity to contribute to the
        process. I'll begin by offering two suggestions for enhancements.

        I see from the roadmap that you are planning to change the save format
        to allow transfer of characters between different versions. I would
        suggest that you look into using XML as the new save file format. I
        would also suggest that instead of saving the index of things like the
        Class choices that you store the text name and have the import functions
        lookup the appropriate index. This way when the indexes change because
        of the addition of options, the import will still get the correct entry,
        unless the item was removed.

        Another suggestion I have is that you remove the lookup table for
        strength. The appropriate heavy load can be calculated with a formula
        and the other load (light, medium, drag, lift, etc...) afe fust
        derivatives of the heavy load (light is 1/3, medium is 2/3, and so on..)

        Either of these two formulas will calculate the heavy load based on the
        effective strength value:

        =MAX(Str*10,ROUND(MIN(Str*10,100)*2^(MOD(Str,5)*0.2)/5,0)*5*2^(INT(Str/5\
        )-2))

        =IF(Str<10,Str*10,ROUND(100*2^(MOD(Str,5)*0.2)/5,0)*5*2^(INT(Str/5)-2))

        I also have a VBA function if you would prefer that.

        Public Function CalcHvyLoad(ByVal str As Integer, ByVal size As Double)
        As Integer
        Dim i As Double
        Dim iStr As Integer

        iStr = Int(str / 5)

        Select Case True
        Case str <= 10: i = str * 10
        Case str - iStr * 5 = 1: i = 115 * 2 ^ (iStr - 2)
        Case str - iStr * 5 = 2: i = 130 * 2 ^ (iStr - 2)
        Case str - iStr * 5 = 3: i = 150 * 2 ^ (iStr - 2)
        Case str - iStr * 5 = 4: i = 175 * 2 ^ (iStr - 2)
        Case Else: i = 200 * 2 ^ (iStr - 3)
        End Select
        CalcHvyLoad = Int(i * size)
        End Function

        Hope this is helpfull.
      • Rainer Åhlfors
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 26, 2010

          If I am not completely mistaken, that formula does not take into account a size different from medium, correct?

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 26, 2010
            You are correct , The two formulas only give you the base heavy load. From there you would need to adjust for modifiers like Quadraped, Larger than medium, Smaller, etc... All of these are derived from the base strength. Small being 3/4 load, large being X2 and so on.