[Hero_Forge]

  • Alexandre Gondim
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
      Dear all,

      I am using the Heroforge for a little time and when I
      find some bugs I try to fix and improve what I think
      is cool to the program.
      Some thing that I have done in my Heroforge 5.0.8
      beta:

      - Stunning Attacks (with the DC save and qty of
      Stunning) in the attacks;
      - Sneak Attacks in the attacks;
      - Fixed the bug of the 3rd level of Blessed Defender
      Prestige Class;

      This bug is that when you choose this 3rd level the
      Special Abilities Field at Character Sheet II went to
      fault.

      To correct this bug you have to go to "Class
      Abilities" Sheet and in the cell A2887 and put this in
      the cell: ="• Defender's Edge (Ex): You receive the
      Expertise feat. "&SE(BDfLvl>=3;"You may use
      your Expertise to act in defense of a chosen ally
      within 5 feet. The
      adjustments to attack and AC are
      ";"")&SE(BDfLvl>=3;"-"&INT(BDfLvl/3)&"/+"&INT(BDfLvl/3);"")&""

      Thanks

      Fale com seus amigos de graça com o novo Yahoo! Messenger
      http://br.messenger.yahoo.com/
    • donmp
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 2, 2007
        I believe that the developers purposely do not include stunning
        attacks and sneak attack because those effects/damages do not apply
        all the time. Heroforge only lists bonuses/effects/etc. that apply to
        each attack.

        I have to agree that it is much better for a player to forget to add
        damage to an attack than for a player to accidentally add too much.

        --- In Hero_Forge@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Gondim <alex_gondim@...>
        wrote:

        > Dear all,
        >
        > I am using the Heroforge for a little time and when I
        > find some bugs I try to fix and improve what I think
        > is cool to the program.
        > Some thing that I have done in my Heroforge 5.0.8
        > beta:
        >
        > - Stunning Attacks (with the DC save and qty of
        > Stunning) in the attacks;
        > - Sneak Attacks in the attacks;
        > - Fixed the bug of the 3rd level of Blessed Defender
        > Prestige Class;
        >
        > This bug is that when you choose this 3rd level the
        > Special Abilities Field at Character Sheet II went to
        > fault.
        >
        > To correct this bug you have to go to "Class
        > Abilities" Sheet and in the cell A2887 and put this in
        > the cell: ="• Defender's Edge (Ex): You receive the
        > Expertise feat. "&SE(BDfLvl>=3;"You may use
        > your Expertise to act in defense of a chosen ally
        > within 5 feet. The
        > adjustments to attack and AC are
        > ";"")&SE(BDfLvl>=3;"-"&INT(BDfLvl/3)&"/+"&INT(BDfLvl/3);"")&""
        >
        > Thanks

        > Fale com seus amigos de graça com o novo Yahoo! Messenger
        > http://br.messenger.yahoo.com/

      • Rob Cottrell
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 3, 2007
          It would be nice to have more things like this added to the Feat/Ability section on the Attacks tab.  Definitely not a requirement (I usually add them to the Properties override), but a nice addition if there's time.

          -Rob

          wrote:

          > Dear all,
          >
          > I am using the Heroforge for a little time and when I
          > find some bugs I try to fix and improve what I think
          > is cool to the program.
          > Some thing that I have done in my Heroforge 5.0.8
          > beta:
          >
          > - Stunning Attacks (with the DC save and qty of
          > Stunning) in the attacks;
          > - Sneak Attacks in the attacks;
          > - Fixed the bug of the 3rd level of Blessed Defender
          > Prestige Class;
          >
          > This bug is that when you choose this 3rd level the
          > Special Abilities Field at Character Sheet II went to
          > fault.
          >
          > To correct this bug you have to go to "Class
          > Abilities" Sheet and in the cell A2887 and put this in
          > the cell: ="• Defender's Edge (Ex): You receive the
          > Expertise feat. "&SE(BDfLvl>=3;"You may use
          > your Expertise to act in defense of a chosen ally
          > within 5 feet. The
          > adjustments to attack and AC are
          > ";"")&SE(BDfLvl>=3;"-"&INT(BDfLvl/3)&"/+"&INT(BDfLvl/3);"")&""
          >
          > Thanks

          > Fale com seus amigos de graça com o novo Yahoo! Messenger
          > http://br.messenger.yahoo.com/

        • Lee Vaughan
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 3, 2007
            Yeah, It could be neat to see those things listed as an added feat, so you could have your thief with Attack #1 being 1d6+3 from his shortsword +2, and then Attack #2 being 1d6+3+10d6 :D

            wrote:

            > Dear all,
            >
            > I am using the Heroforge for a little time and when I
            > find some bugs I try to fix and improve what I think
            > is cool to the program.
            > Some thing that I have done in my Heroforge 5.0.8
            > beta:
            >
            > - Stunning Attacks (with the DC save and qty of
            > Stunning) in the attacks;
            > - Sneak Attacks in the attacks;
            > - Fixed the bug of the 3rd level of Blessed Defender
            > Prestige Class;
            >
            > This bug is that when you choose this 3rd level the
            > Special Abilities Field at Character Sheet II went to
            > fault.
            >
            > To correct this bug you have to go to "Class
            > Abilities" Sheet and in the cell A2887 and put this in
            > the cell: ="• Defender's Edge (Ex): You receive the
            > Expertise feat. "&SE(BDfLvl>=3;"You may use
            > your Expertise to act in defense of a chosen ally
            > within 5 feet. The
            > adjustments to attack and AC are
            > ";"")&SE(BDfLvl>=3;"-"&INT(BDfLvl/3)&"/+"&INT(BDfLvl/3);"")&""
            >
            > Thanks

            > Fale com seus amigos de graça com o novo Yahoo! Messenger
            > http://br.messenger.yahoo.com/

          • Alexandre Gondim
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 3, 2007
              Sorry,

              I have put just like another attack because to me it
              would be easier to manage my PC, but I think a great
              idea as well put it like a feat/ability, but not
              always you use the sneak(eg undead) or stunning, that
              is why I have put it as a new complete weapon just
              those feats..

              ;)

              Alex

              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 3, 2007
                Sorry,

                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 3, 2007
                  Sorry,

                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 3, 2007
                    Sorry,

                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 3, 2007
                      Sorry,

                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 3, 2007
                        Sorry,

                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 3, 2007
                          My characters usually have at least 3 or 4 weapons that they commonly use, so I try to avoid multiple entries per weapon.  And with something like sneak attack, it's definitely not a "default" option, because conditions have to be just right in order to use it.  (In my games, rogues probably only get sneak attack damage on about 25% of their attacks.)

                          On a character sheet format that I used before HeroForge, there was a free-form Combat Notes section on the front page, near the weapons.  This was great for things like Sneak Attack, as well as those things that you might commonly forget, like the Dodge feat and Favored Enemy bonuses.  We would also note common tactics in this area ( i.e. "likes to charge on first round", "only engages in melee when he can flank", "casts Mage Armor every morning", etc.), in case we missed a game and someone else had to run our character.

                          That's something I miss.  With HF, these notes usually go on the back page, which nobody reads during combat.

                          Oh well...

                          -Rob

                          On 4/3/07, Alexandre Gondim <alex_gondim@...> wrote:

                          Sorry,

                          I have put just like another attack because to me it
                          would be easier to manage my PC, but I think a great
                          idea as well put it like a feat/ability, but not
                          always you use the sneak(eg undead) or stunning, that
                          is why I have put it as a new complete weapon just
                          those feats..

                          ;)

                          Alex

                        • Brad Sumner

                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 4, 2007
                              So, HF would have to show:
                              Individual weapons, combinations with TWF, thrown modes for some of
                              those individual weapons, with and without PBS and/or RS... and that's
                              by level 4. Possibly with sneak attack or skirmish damage stat lines.

                              Doable, sure, but *headache* to get layout working in Excel for such
                              variability.

                              Jon

                              Brad Sumner wrote:
                              > What about removing the 5th weapon entry and having an area that HF
                              > could use to populate those kind of things if they are present, like
                              > we do with the Special Abilities/Feats area on the 2nd and 3rd pages.
                              > It could have each thing on a new line and list all these kinds of
                              > combat mods.
                              >
                              > Rob Cottrell wrote:
                              >> My characters usually have at least 3 or 4 weapons that they commonly
                              >> use, so I try to avoid multiple entries per weapon. And with
                              >> something like sneak attack, it's definitely not a "default" option,
                              >> because conditions have to be just right in order to use it. (In my
                              >> games, rogues probably only get sneak attack damage on about 25% of
                              >> their attacks.)
                              >>
                              >> On a character sheet format that I used before HeroForge, there was a
                              >> free-form Combat Notes section on the front page, near the weapons.
                              >> This was great for things like Sneak Attack, as well as those things
                              >> that you might commonly forget, like the Dodge feat and Favored Enemy
                              >> bonuses. We would also note common tactics in this area ( i.e.
                              >> "likes to charge on first round", "only engages in melee when he can
                              >> flank", "casts Mage Armor every morning", etc.), in case we missed a
                              >> game and someone else had to run our character.
                              >>
                              >> That's something I miss. With HF, these notes usually go on the back
                              >> page, which nobody reads during combat.
                              >>
                              >> Oh well...
                              >>
                              >> -Rob
                              >>

                              >> On 4/3/07, * Alexandre Gondim* <alex_gondim@...
                              >> <mailto:alex_gondim@...>> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> Sorry,
                              >>
                              >> I have put just like another attack because to me it
                              >> would be easier to manage my PC, but I think a great
                              >> idea as well put it like a feat/ability, but not
                              >> always you use the sneak(eg undead) or stunning, that
                              >> is why I have put it as a new complete weapon just
                              >> those feats..
                              >>
                              >> ;)
                              >>
                              >> Alex

                            • donmp
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 4, 2007
                                I agree, way too many possible combinations for that to be practical.
                                I personally add code to dynamically populate the properties field of
                                each attack on the Attacks tab to include all the circumstantial
                                bonuses. This is a headache for a specific character build; I can't
                                imagine what it would be like trying to accommodate every possible
                                combination. Even then I'm not sure that there would be enough room
                                in the properties field for most 20th level builds.

                                An example of one attack for my 10th level Dervish (Flaming Scimitar):
                                TWF(P),+3 Dmg(INT),+3 Hit&Dmg(Dance),1d6 fire

                                --- In Hero_Forge@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Choy <jchoy@...> wrote:

                                > So, HF would have to show:
                                > Individual weapons, combinations with TWF, thrown modes for some of
                                > those individual weapons, with and without PBS and/or RS... and that's
                                > by level 4. Possibly with sneak attack or skirmish damage stat lines.
                                >
                                > Doable, sure, but *headache* to get layout working in Excel for such
                                > variability.
                                >
                                > Jon
                                >
                                > Brad Sumner wrote:
                                > > What about removing the 5th weapon entry and having an area that HF
                                > > could use to populate those kind of things if they are present, like
                                > > we do with the Special Abilities/Feats area on the 2nd and 3rd
                                pages.
                                > > It could have each thing on a new line and list all these kinds of
                                > > combat mods.
                                > >
                                > > Rob Cottrell wrote:
                                > >> My characters usually have at least 3 or 4 weapons that they
                                commonly
                                > >> use, so I try to avoid multiple entries per weapon. And with
                                > >> something like sneak attack, it's definitely not a "default" option,
                                > >> because conditions have to be just right in order to use it. (In my
                                > >> games, rogues probably only get sneak attack damage on about 25% of
                                > >> their attacks.)
                                > >>
                                > >> On a character sheet format that I used before HeroForge, there
                                was a
                                > >> free-form Combat Notes section on the front page, near the weapons.
                                > >> This was great for things like Sneak Attack, as well as those things
                                > >> that you might commonly forget, like the Dodge feat and Favored
                                Enemy
                                > >> bonuses. We would also note common tactics in this area ( i.e.
                                > >> "likes to charge on first round", "only engages in melee when he can
                                > >> flank", "casts Mage Armor every morning", etc.), in case we missed a
                                > >> game and someone else had to run our character.
                                > >>
                                > >> That's something I miss. With HF, these notes usually go on the
                                back
                                > >> page, which nobody reads during combat.
                                > >>
                                > >> Oh well...
                                > >>
                                > >> -Rob
                                > >>

                                > >> On 4/3/07, * Alexandre Gondim* <alex_gondim@...
                                > >> <mailto:alex_gondim@...>> wrote:
                                > >>
                                > >> Sorry,
                                > >>
                                > >> I have put just like another attack because to me it
                                > >> would be easier to manage my PC, but I think a great
                                > >> idea as well put it like a feat/ability, but not
                                > >> always you use the sneak(eg undead) or stunning, that
                                > >> is why I have put it as a new complete weapon just
                                > >> those feats..
                                > >>
                                > >> ;)
                                > >>
                                > >> Alex

                              • Ian Argent
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 6, 2007

                                  I use the Props override “-2 to hit when dual-wielding, +2d6 Sneak Attack” (from a melee weapon attack entry), it does well enough.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 10, 2007
                                    Hi,

                                    I think the HF is the best tool ever to creating and
                                    developing your Character. That´s why I was thinking
                                    some ways to improve it, so What do you think putting
                                    the price, Hardness and HP for Weapons, Armor and
                                    Shileds, so we can put this information (less the
                                    price) in the Character Sheet. Another thing that I
                                    was thinking is to do a sheet were you can create your
                                    Weapon, Shield or Armor Magics and with special
                                    propieties, and then this sheet would tell you the
                                    price of that item...

                                    What do you think???

                                    Alex

                                    Fale com seus amigos de graça com o novo Yahoo! Messenger
                                    http://br.messenger.yahoo.com/
                                  • Telas
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 10, 2007
                                      The sheet you are referring to already exists.  Check http://nzcomputers.net/heroforge/default.asp and go to the Magic Item Creator.

                                      Adding more stats to the spreadsheet will do nothing to improve its stability over time.  There's already a thread on decreasing the amount of data.  While it would be very cool to have everything in the spreadsheet, there are some very real limits we have to work within.

                                      Telas

                                      On 4/10/07, Alexandre Gondim <alex_gondim@...> wrote:
                                      Hi,

                                      I think the HF is the best tool ever to creating and
                                      developing your Character. That´s why I was thinking
                                      some ways to improve it, so What do you think putting
                                      the price, Hardness and HP for Weapons, Armor and
                                      Shileds, so we can put this information (less the
                                      price) in the Character Sheet. Another thing that I
                                      was thinking is to do a sheet were you can create your
                                      Weapon, Shield or Armor Magics and with special
                                      propieties, and then this sheet would tell you the
                                      price of that item...

                                      What do you think???

                                      Alex

                                      <*> Your email settings:
                                          Individual Email | Traditional

                                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                                      <*> To change settings via email:
                                          mailto:Hero_Forge-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                          mailto:Hero_Forge-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                    • Jonathan Choy
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 10, 2007
                                        At first blush, it looks like too many 'pretty boxes' is a major
                                        contributor to the problem. How many format slots do Classes, Prestige
                                        Classes I, and Prestige Classes II take up? How about the formats for
                                        the character sheet pages itself?

                                        Telas wrote:
                                        > The sheet you are referring to already exists. Check
                                        > http://nzcomputers.net/heroforge/default.asp and go to the Magic Item
                                        > Creator.
                                        >
                                        > Adding more stats to the spreadsheet will do nothing to improve its
                                        > stability over time. There's already a thread on decreasing the
                                        > amount of data. While it would be very cool to have everything in the
                                        > spreadsheet, there are some very real limits we have to work within.
                                        >
                                        > Telas
                                        >

                                        > On 4/10/07, *Alexandre Gondim* <alex_gondim@...
                                        > <mailto:alex_gondim@...>> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > Hi,
                                        >
                                        > I think the HF is the best tool ever to creating and
                                        > developing your Character. That´s why I was thinking
                                        > some ways to improve it, so What do you think putting
                                        > the price, Hardness and HP for Weapons, Armor and
                                        > Shileds, so we can put this information (less the
                                        > price) in the Character Sheet. Another thing that I
                                        > was thinking is to do a sheet were you can create your
                                        > Weapon, Shield or Armor Magics and with special
                                        > propieties, and then this sheet would tell you the
                                        > price of that item...
                                        >
                                        > What do you think???
                                        >
                                        > Alex

                                        > mailto:Hero_Forge-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
                                        > <mailto:Hero_Forge-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com>

                                      • Robert Daneri
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Apr 10, 2007
                                          Another reason is all the borders. I am going through and trying to get rid of as many of those as possible too.

                                          Robert "Dark Star" Daneri
                                          Hero Forge Development Team

                                          Even if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 10, 2007
                                            Borders == pretty boxes in my world. Just what I was driving at.

                                            Jon

                                          • rumpela
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Apr 10, 2007
                                              Just so its stated and everybody is aware of it while they are
                                              looking for stuff to eliminate, if a particular cell format is used
                                              anywhere on the sheet that counts as 1 no matter how many times its
                                              used (ie. Bold, 10pt Arial in a red coloured cell could appear 1 time
                                              or 10,000 times, but as soon as you change one little thing say you
                                              underline half of them, then you now have 2 different cell formats)

                                              What I'm getting at is not that certain things have to be removed by
                                              maybe just rethought and reworked to use the same formatting that is
                                              present somewhere else on the sheet. I'm sure there's plenty of
                                              distinct formatting that is never reused in all the prestige classes
                                              and whatnot.

                                              From this information it really does make it seem like modularizing
                                              the sheet would not really help, since all the data is mostly
                                              straight, plain 10pt Arial (some bolding, and some colouring but
                                              mostly just normal 10pt Arial) by moving all this data to seperate
                                              sheets you are only eliminating, at the most, a handful of cell
                                              formats, and not even that if those particular formats happen to be
                                              repeated anywhere in the core of the sheet.

                                              So the best solution possible is to search for anywhere that a pre-
                                              existing format can be reused (like the first page I noticed that its
                                              all 9pt Arial, if it were all 10pt that would free up 1 slot)
                                            • Alexandre Gondim
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Apr 11, 2007
                                                I am creating an Character (Fighter2 /Rougue5
                                                /InvisibleBlade2) with the feats Two-Weapon Fighting,
                                                Far Shot, Weapon Focus (Dagger), Combate Expertise,
                                                Weapon Finesse, Poit Blank Shot. My question is: In
                                                the attacks how could I put to Throw a Dagger with the
                                                Off-hand (Secundary Hand), because the Character uses
                                                2 daggers and he could use then to throw both....

                                                Alex