Monsterforge 1.1 problem

  • bothokaese
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2007
      Rob, all:

      The new version of Mosterforge, which is awesome by the way (that is,
      on a PC), does not work on Macs.

      I have a new Core Duo Intel Mac running latest OS and latest update of
      Excel 2004; upon opening Monsterforge 1.1, it goes into debugger.
      (Specifically, Compile Error: Sub or Function not defined.)

      Someone told me that he believes the problem is that Active X was used
      in the creation of your spreadsheet, and Macs choke on Active X.

      Or, perhaps there is some other reason?

      Thanks much,

      Botho
    • Rob Cottrell

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2007
          10 to 1 says its the same VBA issue that kills HF on the Mac

          Mac VBA is old.

          Thats it. It really has never been upgraded, fixed, or improved. Soon it is going away altogether.

          Ian

          --
          I wish my grass was emo, so it would cut itself.
        • bothokaese
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 2, 2007
            Rob: modMain is highlighted in the projects window; and the following
            windows are open: Sheet1, Sheet9, and ModQSort--is that what you are
            asking?

            Ian: HF mostly works on Mac. 5.0.5 is the most stable for me and seems
            to have all features/macros working, so I'll stick with that. Office
            2007 for Mac is supposed to be released mid-year; I hope that helps.
            Won't bet on it, tho.

            --- In Hero_Forge@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Greulich" <ian.greulich@...>
            wrote:

            > 10 to 1 says its the same VBA issue that kills HF on the Mac
            >
            > Mac VBA is old.
            >
            > Thats it. It really has never been upgraded, fixed, or improved.
            Soon it is
            > going away altogether.
            >
            > Ian
            >
            > On 2/1/07, Rob Cottrell <robcottrell@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I don't have a Mac, so I can't debug this myself. When the debugger
            > > opens, what function/sub is it opening to?
            > >
            > > -Rob
            > >

            > > On 2/1/07, bothokaese <bothokaese@...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Rob, all:
            > > >
            > > > The new version of Mosterforge, which is awesome by the way
            (that is,
            > > > on a PC), does not work on Macs.
            > > >
            > > > I have a new Core Duo Intel Mac running latest OS and latest
            update of
            > > > Excel 2004; upon opening Monsterforge 1.1, it goes into debugger.
            > > > (Specifically, Compile Error: Sub or Function not defined.)
            > > >
            > > > Someone told me that he believes the problem is that Active X
            was used
            > > > in the creation of your spreadsheet, and Macs choke on Active X.
            > > >
            > > > Or, perhaps there is some other reason?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks much,
            > > >
            > > > Botho
            > > >

            > --
            > I wish my grass was emo, so it would cut itself.

          • Robert Daneri
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 2, 2007
              Message
              Office 2007 for Mac doesn't support VB or VBA at all from what I understand.

              Robert "Dark Star" Daneri
              Hero Forge Development Team

              Even if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

              wrote:

              > 10 to 1 says its the same VBA issue that kills HF on the Mac
              >
              > Mac VBA is old.
              >
              > Thats it. It really has never been upgraded, fixed, or improved.
              Soon it is
              > going away altogether.
              >
              > Ian
              >
              > On 2/1/07, Rob Cottrell <robcottrell@ ...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I don't have a Mac, so I can't debug this myself. When the debugger
              > > opens, what function/sub is it opening to?
              > >
              > > -Rob
              > >

              > > On 2/1/07, bothokaese <bothokaese@ ...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Rob, all:
              > > >
              > > > The new version of Mosterforge, which is awesome by the way
              (that is,
              > > > on a PC), does not work on Macs.
              > > >
              > > > I have a new Core Duo Intel Mac running latest OS and latest
              update of
              > > > Excel 2004; upon opening Monsterforge 1.1, it goes into debugger.
              > > > (Specifically, Compile Error: Sub or Function not defined.)
              > > >
              > > > Someone told me that he believes the problem is that Active X
              was used
              > > > in the creation of your spreadsheet, and Macs choke on Active X.
              > > >
              > > > Or, perhaps there is some other reason?
              > > >
              > > > Thanks much,
              > > >
              > > > Botho
              > > >

              > --
              > I wish my grass was emo, so it would cut itself.

            • Stephen Wilcoxon

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 2, 2007
                  VBA is on its death bed... It will be gone from the next Mac Office, and is being phased out for .NET (which, while it is called VB 7 or 8 ,I can't recall, is not actually VB at all.) in the Win Office.

                  Everytime I turn around.., the modularization of HF seems to look more and more enticing.

                  As far as HF and Mac compatibility..

                  There are 3 crash points that I have found... (or was it 2?). There is one associated with the shifter drop down menu (easy to by pass.., don't play a shifter.. if you do.., well sorry there is no real work around to that one). The other (and bigger one) is associated with the lvl based stat increases which has a work around. Since the 'Inherent Gains' boxes were not removed when the drop down menus were added, just use those.

                  Is HF Mac compatible? Sort of. Will it ever be 100% again? Not unless the Applescript gods grant either me (or one of BetaForge Mac users) all the knowledge I (he/she) lack(s), or Microsoft changes their current VBA destructive plans, and Fix Office:mac.?

                  All in all, HF:mac is not what I would call stable, or compatible, but usable.

                  Ian

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 2, 2007
                    Thanks to Alwyn Smith, I've been able to find the problem (or one of them, at least) with MonsterForge on the Mac.  The Mac version of Office doesn't support all of the VB functions that Office 2000 and greater (on the PC) support.  Some of those new functions (notably Split and Join) are used quite heavily in MonsterForge.

                    So, long story short, MonsterForge is currently only compatible with Windows versions of Office 2000 or greater.

                    -Rob

                    wrote:

                    > 10 to 1 says its the same VBA issue that kills HF on the Mac
                    >
                    > Mac VBA is old.
                    >
                    > Thats it. It really has never been upgraded, fixed, or improved.
                    Soon it is
                    > going away altogether.
                    >
                    > Ian
                    >
                    > On 2/1/07, Rob Cottrell <robcottrell@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I don't have a Mac, so I can't debug this myself. When the debugger
                    > > opens, what function/sub is it opening to?
                    > >
                    > > -Rob
                    > >

                    > > On 2/1/07, bothokaese <bothokaese@...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Rob, all:
                    > > >
                    > > > The new version of Mosterforge, which is awesome by the way
                    (that is,
                    > > > on a PC), does not work on Macs.
                    > > >
                    > > > I have a new Core Duo Intel Mac running latest OS and latest
                    update of
                    > > > Excel 2004; upon opening Monsterforge 1.1, it goes into debugger.
                    > > > (Specifically, Compile Error: Sub or Function not defined.)
                    > > >
                    > > > Someone told me that he believes the problem is that Active X
                    was used
                    > > > in the creation of your spreadsheet, and Macs choke on Active X.
                    > > >
                    > > > Or, perhaps there is some other reason?
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks much,
                    > > >
                    > > > Botho
                    > > >

                    > --
                    > I wish my grass was emo, so it would cut itself.

                  • Horst Klinkenborg
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 2, 2007
                      Do you have a list of all the functions that Heroforge uses and that
                      are no longer supported? I just had a quick look at what the split
                      function does and I think it shouldn't be too hard to write your own
                      version of it. It might suck performance wise but it would be better
                      than nothing. There seem to be enough VB wizards in the forum so odds
                      are someone should be able to do it.

                      Just an idea.

                      Horst

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 8, 2007
                        I have opted for the insane complicated workaround: running the
                        Windows XP emulator Paralles and then installing Office 2003. Works
                        great! That is, until you all start using Vista and Excel 2007--at
                        least I can use the spreadsheet a little while longer.

                        Botho

                        --- In Hero_Forge@yahoogroups.com, "Horst Klinkenborg"
                        <h-klinkenborg@...> wrote:

                        > Do you have a list of all the functions that Heroforge uses and that
                        > are no longer supported? I just had a quick look at what the split
                        > function does and I think it shouldn't be too hard to write your own
                        > version of it. It might suck performance wise but it would be better
                        > than nothing. There seem to be enough VB wizards in the forum so odds
                        > are someone should be able to do it.
                        >
                        > Just an idea.
                        >
                        > Horst
                        >
                        > --- In Hero_Forge@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Cottrell" <robcottrell@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Thanks to Alwyn Smith, I've been able to find the problem (or one of
                        > them,
                        > > at least) with MonsterForge on the Mac. The Mac version of Office
                        > doesn't
                        > > support all of the VB functions that Office 2000 and greater (on
                        the PC)
                        > > support. Some of those new functions (notably Split and Join) are
                        used
                        > > quite heavily in MonsterForge.
                        > >
                        > > So, long story short, MonsterForge is currently only compatible with
                        > Windows
                        > > versions of Office 2000 or greater.
                        > >
                        > > -Rob
                        > >

                        > > On 2/2/07, bothokaese <bothokaese@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Rob: modMain is highlighted in the projects window; and the
                        > following
                        > > > windows are open: Sheet1, Sheet9, and ModQSort--is that what you are
                        > > > asking?
                        > > >
                        > > > Ian: HF mostly works on Mac. 5.0.5 is the most stable for me and
                        seems
                        > > > to have all features/macros working, so I'll stick with that. Office
                        > > > 2007 for Mac is supposed to be released mid-year; I hope that helps.
                        > > > Won't bet on it, tho.
                        > > >
                        > > > --- In Hero_Forge@yahoogroups.com
                        <Hero_Forge%40yahoogroups.com>, "Ian
                        > > > Greulich" <ian.greulich@>

                        > > > Soon it is

                        > debugger

                        > > > (that is,

                        > > > update of
                        > debugger.

                        > > > was used
                        Active X.

                      • tufrat00
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 21, 2007
                          So, I've got a Mac, and am therefore unable to use MonsterForge without a few hoops.

                          Is there anyway I can get a hold of the unprotected sheets? I specifically want to use the
                          monster stats sheet to build a Wild Shape app, and I'd really rather not enter all that
                          manually...

                          I'm also hoping I might be able to rip out the code and make a Mac compatible version...
                        • Rob Cottrell

                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 21, 2007
                              When I try to unhide the sheets they automatically pop back to hidden. I'll try it
                              tommorrow on a windows machine...

                              --- In Hero_Forge@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Cottrell" <robcottrell@...> wrote:

                              > I don't think any of the sheets are protected. You should just be able to
                              > unhide the Monster Info tab (Format --> Sheet --> Unhide) to get to the
                              > data.
                              >
                              > -Rob
                              >

                              > On 2/21/07, tufrat00 <TufRat@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > So, I've got a Mac, and am therefore unable to use MonsterForge without
                              > > a few hoops.
                              > >
                              > > Is there anyway I can get a hold of the unprotected sheets? I specifically
                              > > want to use the
                              > > monster stats sheet to build a Wild Shape app, and I'd really rather not
                              > > enter all that
                              > > manually...
                              > >
                              > > I'm also hoping I might be able to rip out the code and make a Mac
                              > > compatible version...

                            • tufrat00
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 21, 2007
                                Ahh...I've been trying to get at it via debugger... got it now. Thanks.

                                Whew what a daunting task I've set for myself...how did you ever tackle this?

                                --- In Hero_Forge@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Cottrell" <robcottrell@...> wrote:

                                > I don't think any of the sheets are protected. You should just be able to
                                > unhide the Monster Info tab (Format --> Sheet --> Unhide) to get to the
                                > data.
                                >
                                > -Rob
                                >

                                > On 2/21/07, tufrat00 <TufRat@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > So, I've got a Mac, and am therefore unable to use MonsterForge without
                                > > a few hoops.
                                > >
                                > > Is there anyway I can get a hold of the unprotected sheets? I specifically
                                > > want to use the
                                > > monster stats sheet to build a Wild Shape app, and I'd really rather not
                                > > enter all that
                                > > manually...
                                > >
                                > > I'm also hoping I might be able to rip out the code and make a Mac
                                > > compatible version...

                              • Rob Cottrell
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 21, 2007
                                  It took a LONG time... and there's still a lot more to go.  I was hoping to get the next version out sometime in the next month or so, but I have no idea when I'll be able to work on it.  :-(