Re: New Forge Idea (maybe not new)

  • Karl
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2006
      --- In Hero_Forge@yahoogroups.com, "Brad" <warderbrad@...> wrote:
      <snip>

      > I am also interested in finding data entry people to enter not only
      > the data on the stuff from the books that HF supports but also I
      > would like to ass in the ARs that come out so that it would be
      > possible to check off the ones your character has and only those
      > items will become available.

      I assume that is meant to say "I would like to ADD in the ARs..."?
      Are you actually considering adding the details of ARs into your new
      sheet? That would a be a BAD move, IMO.

      Having selectable equipment one can add to one's sheet, including
      totalling value and weight would be good. But you can't add in ARs,
      as one is not to know the contents of an AR before playing a game.

      (note: DMs may be required to look at ARs for games they haven't yet
      played owned by characters they are DMing - they just have to do what
      they can to avoid spoilers; no other way to deal with this, really).

      Karl
    • Brad Sumner
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2006
        Ok this is a good point as what you are saying is that by putting the
        ARs in the forge players could look at the AR before playing the
        adventure. I can see why this would be a bad thing. Any ideas on how
        to get both a selectable list but also make it only show the stuff that
        each person has unlocked? Should there be a way to enter your ARs or
        something? I realize it may not seem totally necessary but I personally
        like the idea of not having to wade through lists of stuff that I don't
        have available to find the stuff that I do. I know I am lazy and
        embrace it. :)

        Karl wrote:
        > I assume that is meant to say "I would like to ADD in the ARs..."?
        > Are you actually considering adding the details of ARs into your new
        > sheet? That would a be a BAD move, IMO.
        >
        > Having selectable equipment one can add to one's sheet, including
        > totalling value and weight would be good. But you can't add in ARs,
        > as one is not to know the contents of an AR before playing a game
      • Telas
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2006
          Perhaps you could write it in the blank spaces, the way custom feats are in HF?

          Telas

          Karl wrote:
          > I assume that is meant to say "I would like to ADD in the ARs..."?
          > Are you actually considering adding the details of ARs into your new
          > sheet?  That would a be a BAD move, IMO.
          >
          > Having selectable equipment one can add to one's sheet, including
          > totalling value and weight would be good.  But you can't add in ARs,
          > as one is not to know the contents of an AR before playing a game

        • Dave Walters
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2006
            I have thought about something like an ARForge, or an AR module that could be turned on in HeroForge.  I have built a cumbersome AR tracking spreadsheet that does the math on the TUs, XP, and GP, and captures stuff like AR #, Mod # and name, GM, date, Notes, and Access information.  A second tab lists all of the access items, their cost to obtain, and access type with expiration (AR#, When Used, Never).  I also added a column to mark the items that my spellcasters with MIC can create.  Another tab captures my Favors, Influence Points, Skill Modifiers (from ARs), Location modifiers ( e.g., free upkeep in Hardby), Enmities, odd items (maybe usable in future stories in this arc...), and military commendations.  I also worked up some miscellaneous tabs for wish lists, tracking total item value, PCs that PC has adventured with, blah, blah.

            I don't have the programming skills to do what i want to do, but I do have the design skills.  I have envisioned an AR page that would function as an entry form, perhaps even looking a lot like an AR.  I just completed AR#70, so I go the AR Form tab, click a NEW button to clear the form, enter info off of AR:
            • Mod Type (drop down with COR, Special, Metaregion abbreviations, and Region abbreviations, Introductory, Interactive, Battle Interactive, Promotion Review Board, Conversion, Other)
            • Mod Year
            • Mod Number
            • Date
            • Venue
            • GM
            • Autoload starting TUs from existing data
            • TUs spent for Mod
            • Additiional TUs
            • Comment for additional TUs spent
            • Calculate TUs Remaining
            • Autoload starting XP from existing data
            • XP awarded from mod
            • Additional XP spent
            • Comment for additional XP spent
            • Current XP (calculated) - can indicate if PC leveled
            • Upkeep Type
            • Upkeep Cost
            • Additional GP Spent
            • Comment for additional GP spent
            • Autoload Starting GP from existing data
            • GP gained from Mod
            • Table for Items Sold and Value
            • Table for Items Bought and Cost
            • Final GP
            • Indicators, like Leveled, Died, Res'd, etc...
            • Table for listing Item Access, capturing Access Type and Expiration
            • Table for adding Other Access like Favors, Enmities, and so on.
            Then, a button that says ADD or something like that.  The info is added to a data sheet, while also capturing the classes and levels of the PC at the time of the AR.

            Then, another tab displays the Summary AR information (last AR #, current XP, current GP, current TUs), listing all item access. favors, etc in expandable groups.  The items could be listed with costs (from ItemForge?), and a checkbox to mark that this PC can create it with MIC, and a cell to indicate status (accessible, purchased, expired, used).  The XP and GP data would populate the already existing fidls in HF.  If an item is marked as purchased, the description and weight could be copied to Character Sheet II.  If it is a weapon or armor, HF could offer to auto-add that item to the Attacks or Armor (or Enhancements?) tabs and recalculate.

            BTW, there is NO way I can think of where you could just have the ARs pre-populated into HF or ARForge - besides the push back from the Triads, it would be almost impossible to maintain.

            Just some musings.  Again, I don't program in Excel or VB, but i would be happy to participate in design and testing.  Also, I can share my AR sheet if it would spark anyone's creative process - or if folks just want to use it.  Warning - it is a little kludgy.

            Dave Walters, PMP

            It would be interesting to find

            --
            Namaste'
            Dave Walters, PMP
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 1, 2006
              I cut myself off, it appears.

              I was going to say, It would be interesting to find a way to integrate ARForge (or an AR capability in HF) with ItemForge, so that item costs, wieghts, and so on could be automagically added to HF when they are 'purchased' from ARs.  Ditto with purchase upgrades - I know i screwed up one upgrade cost badly one time, and wished I had a tool that did the math, at least as a verification.

              Dave

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 1, 2006
                I would be interested in taking a look at what you have so far.  Please send me a copy to warderbrad <at> haridzadar <dot> com