Suggestion for New Build of HF

  • David T. Weber
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2006
      I noticed that when you choose the books allowed in your campaign etc
      that when you get the race drop down screen it gives the normal PHB
      races and then the rest of the races available are listed in
      alphabetical order.

      Is this possible to do for Base Classes and Prestige Classes ?
      Instead of listing them per source ?

      Also I probably havent paid as much attention as to what you are going
      to include in a new build of HF. But is Complete Psionic one of them ?
    • Robert Daneri
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2006
        Yes Complete Psionic is going to be added but I'm not sure as of yet if it
        is going to make the next release or the one after. The data entry is done
        but it still needs to be merged to the main copy. As for putting the Classes
        and PrC's in alphabetical order I really prefer them the way they are. But
        let's see what the community thinks.

        Does anyone else have an opinion on this matter?

        Robert "Dark Star" Daneri
        Even if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2006
          Would it be possible to have a checkbox for it, if checked then the
          classes, races and such are listed alphabetically, I personally would
          vote to have all Core classes at the top of the list and PRCs at the
          bottom, but I am with Robert in that I would like to keep them separated
          by book myself.

          Robert Daneri wrote:
          > Yes Complete Psionic is going to be added but I'm not sure as of yet if it
          > is going to make the next release or the one after. The data entry is done
          > but it still needs to be merged to the main copy. As for putting the Classes
          > and PrC's in alphabetical order I really prefer them the way they are. But
          > let's see what the community thinks.
          >
          > Does anyone else have an opinion on this matter?
          >

          > Robert "Dark Star" Daneri
          > Even if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

        • Stephen Wilcoxon
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2006
            Personally, I'd prefer all base classes alphabetically at the top and
            all PrCs alphabetically below that. I don't see how the source
            matters as long as it is one I checked to include.

            On 10/1/06, Robert Daneri wrote:
            > > Yes Complete Psionic is going to be added but I'm not sure as of yet if it
            > > is going to make the next release or the one after. The data entry is done
            > > but it still needs to be merged to the main copy. As for putting the Classes
            > > and PrC's in alphabetical order I really prefer them the way they are. But
            > > let's see what the community thinks.
            > >
            > > Does anyone else have an opinion on this matter?
            > >

            > > Robert "Dark Star" Daneri
            > > Even if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

          • Matt Roberts
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
              I agree, alphabetical base classes then alphabetical PrCs makes far more
              sense. But at the extreme very least, lets at least have the source books in
              alphabetical order! I can't see anyone having a valid argument for keeping
              them in release order as they appear to be now ;) Yes I know its just easier
              to tag on the bottom, but...

              > Personally, I'd prefer all base classes alphabetically at the top and
              > all PrCs alphabetically below that. I don't see how the source
              > matters as long as it is one I checked to include.
              >
              > On 10/1/06, Robert Daneri wrote:
              > > > Yes Complete Psionic is going to be added but I'm not sure as of yet if
              it
              > > > is going to make the next release or the one after. The data entry is
              done
              > > > but it still needs to be merged to the main copy. As for putting the
              Classes
              > > > and PrC's in alphabetical order I really prefer them the way they are.
              But
              > > > let's see what the community thinks.
              > > >
              > > > Does anyone else have an opinion on this matter?
              > > >

              > > > Robert "Dark Star" Daneri
              > > > =========================================
              > > > Even if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

            • Belorin
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
                Would it be possible to have them set up like the spells for Wizards
                in Spellforge, either a checkbox or a button to alphabetize them? If
                not them alphbetical would be my choice.

                --- In Hero_Forge@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Daneri"
                <dinelendarkstar@...> wrote:

                > Yes Complete Psionic is going to be added but I'm not sure as of
                yet if it
                > is going to make the next release or the one after. The data entry
                is done
                > but it still needs to be merged to the main copy. As for putting
                the Classes
                > and PrC's in alphabetical order I really prefer them the way they
                are. But
                > let's see what the community thinks.
                >
                > Does anyone else have an opinion on this matter?
                >

                > Robert "Dark Star" Daneri
                > Even if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
              • P DEKER
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
                  I like the classes in order of books because there are many times I remember the book and not the class that I am thinking of.  Or at least that hapens more than the other way. When they are in order of the books then you also get the information of what book to pull out for that classes full referance information.  I persoanlly, and I am probably the only one, wouldn't mind seeing the races in the same format.

                  Although if there were a check box that could switch between the 2 sorting methods that would be extremely helpful.  But with as little as I know of the programming part of it, it would not be easy to do.

                  ============ ========= ========= ========= ==
                  Even if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

                  I noticed that when you choose the books allowed in your campaign etc
                  that when you get the race drop down screen it gives the normal PHB
                  races and then the rest of the races available are listed in
                  alphabetical order.

                  Is this possible to do for Base Classes and Prestige Classes ?
                  Instead of listing them per source ?

                  Also I probably havent paid as much attention as to what you are going
                  to include in a new build of HF. But is Complete Psionic one of them ?

                  Do you Yahoo!?

                • Brian Bookmiller
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
                    I like the idea of base calses at the top in aplha order and the PrC below in alpha order....

                    Makes perfect sense

                    Robert Daneri wrote:

                    > Yes Complete Psionic is going to be added but I'm not sure as of yet if it
                    > is going to make the next release or the one after. The data entry is done
                    > but it still needs to be merged to the main copy. As for putting the Classes
                    > and PrC's in alphabetical order I really prefer them the way they are. But
                    > let's see what the community thinks.
                    >
                    > Does anyone else have an opinion on this matter?
                    >

                    > Robert "Dark Star" Daneri
                    > ============ ========= ========= ========= ==
                    > Even if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

                    > I noticed that when you choose the books allowed in your campaign etc
                    > that when you get the race drop down screen it gives the normal PHB
                    > races and then the rest of the races available are listed in
                    > alphabetical order.
                    >
                    > Is this possible to do for Base Classes and Prestige Classes ?
                    > Instead of listing them per source ?
                    >
                    > Also I probably havent paid as much attention as to what
                    you are going
                    > to include in a new build of HF. But is Complete Psionic one of them ?
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Rob Cottrell

                      > Personally, I'd prefer all base classes alphabetically at the top and
                      > all PrCs alphabetically below that. I don't see how the source
                      > matters as long as it is one I checked to include.
                      >
                      > On 10/1/06, Robert Daneri wrote:
                      > > > Yes Complete Psionic is going to be added but I'm not sure as of yet if
                      it
                      > > > is going to make the next release or the one after. The data entry is
                      done
                      > > > but it still needs to be merged to the main copy. As for putting the
                      Classes
                      > > > and PrC's in alphabetical order I really prefer them the way they are.
                      But
                      > > > let's see what the community thinks.
                      > > >
                      > > > Does anyone else have an opinion on this matter?
                      > > >

                      > > > Robert "Dark Star" Daneri
                      > > > =========================================
                      > > > Even if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

                    • Tui_of_Kord
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
                        To me, it makes sense to sort with base classes first and prestiege
                        clases second if and only if you remove the classes which are not
                        part of the source or campaign selected. Otherwise, the only way to
                        know you are getting an allowed class is to look by source.
                        - David Anderson
                        --- In Hero_Forge@yahoogroups.com, Brian Bookmiller
                        <b_bookmiller@...> wrote:

                        > I like the idea of base calses at the top in aplha order and the
                        PrC below in alpha order....

                        > Makes perfect sense

                      • Dale Barnett
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
                          Honestly I prefer the way it is being done now. If you are so keen on sorting the PRC classes alphabetically then sort them alphabetically by source or else give an option for which sort method the user prefers. I would much rather have the source book listing in there.

                          <b_bookmiller@ ...> wrote:

                          > I like the idea of base calses at the top in aplha order and the
                          PrC below in alpha order....

                          > Makes perfect sense

                        • Robert Daneri
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
                            Message
                            The way it works now it doesn't remove classes from the list when the source book is unchecked. I does with Races and it strikes through feats. This is why I truly believe that it should stay the way it is. Alpha order is cool and all but for simplicity to us doing the data entry and coding, it works better the way it is. We do put campaign specific material in order with each other, then in the order they are published. It seems to work fine that way and I would honestly like it to stay that way.

                            <b_bookmiller@ ...> wrote:

                            > I like the idea of base calses at the top in aplha order and the
                            PrC below in alpha order....

                            > Makes perfect sense

                          • Stephen Wilcoxon
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
                              So far, I've just been using HF including all sources so I didn't
                              realize that was how it worked.

                              Even more than a particular sorting, I really think all of the items
                              (races, classes, feats) should work consistently. The ideal would be
                              to only list items from sources included. Less desirable would be to
                              strike through those not included. Including items in the lists from
                              sources not included is just a bad idea.