New Version?

  • Roland
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2004
      Charles,

      Now that HeroQuest is out, and I've actually got players who want to
      play, I thought I'd pop in and ask: any chance of a new version of
      the program being released? I'd think the changes to the Program
      would be fairly minor, even though characters would need to be
      converted to the new system to be entered (an automated conversion
      utility would be nice but unnecessary IMO).

      Roland
    • Charles Corrigan
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2004
        --- In HeroWarsProgram@yahoogroups.com, "Roland" <rmv1@o...> wrote:
        > Now that HeroQuest is out, and I've
        > actually got players who want to
        > play, I thought I'd pop in and ask:
        > any chance of a new version of
        > the program being released? I'd
        > think the changes to the Program
        > would be fairly minor, even though
        > characters would need to be
        > converted to the new system to be
        > entered (an automated conversion
        > utility would be nice but
        > unnecessary IMO).

        Roland,

        thanks for the interest. Unfortunately, I can't as I am generally
        too busy at work (it is 22:25 here in Bangkok and I have just
        finished for the day). And when I go home to Singapore at weekends,
        my children and wife demand a lot of time, strangely enough!

        The changes from HeroWars to HeroQuest are a lot more than you might
        think. Bad enough when changing rules in the paper game - I do not
        think I will ever play HeroQuest correctly (that is if I get an
        opportunity to play at all) - but far worse when programming.

        The easier piece of work is on the contest resolution system. Rip
        out ability tests, fix the resolution table, disable edges (or make
        them a hidden advanced option) and many more changes that I have
        probably forgotten.

        The difficult piece of work is on the charcater storage. Keywords
        are vastly more important in HQ than they were in HW. There would be
        a lot of work to upgrade this part of the program.

        regards,
        Charles
      • Manuel MOLINIER
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2004
          The question would then be : is the program free ?
          if yes maybe others can see for the change.

          Manuel
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Charles Corrigan
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2004
            --- In HeroWarsProgram@yahoogroups.com, "Manuel MOLINIER" wrote:
            > The question would then be : is the program free ?
            > if yes maybe others can see for the change.

            The program and its sources are free, released under the GPL (see
            the help while runnng the program). This means that anyone can take
            the source code (available in the files area) and make any changes
            they like. If they pass the modified program on to anyone else, they
            must also offer to give that person the source code.

            If anyone is willing to take the software and upgrade it to support
            HeroQuest then I will be delighted to offer lots of help. However,
            as a matter of courtesy, I would suggest asking Issaries for their
            approval.

            regards,
            Charles