MRJAppbuilder or Projectbuilder experience?

  • hairyorlanthi
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2002
      Hi there,

      Boy, nothing going on here for a looong time.

      I'm no programmer, but I'm forging boldly ahead trying to compile the source code for OS X using MRJappbuilder, or perferably Project Builder.

      If anyone out there has:
      experience with these products
      more than a little patience
      some time on their hands

      I'd love to ask some questions about things like "deprecated API"s.

      thanks,

      Mike
    • charlescorrigan
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2002
        --- In HeroWarsProgram@y..., "hairyorlanthi" <mdawson@m...> wrote:

        > Boy, nothing going on here for a looong time.
        Sorry. There are some things slowly bubbling away in the background
        but nothing user visible - more part of my Java learning experience
        than delivering functionality. Sadly (actually its not, but you know
        what I mean), other parts of my life are more important right now -
        like helping my wife tame our 3.5 year old boy and earning money.

        > I'm no programmer, but I'm forging boldly ahead trying to
        > compile the source code for OS X using MRJappbuilder, or
        > perferably Project Builder.
        Unless you are making code changes, there is no technical reason to
        re-compile the application. If you are teaching yourself Java, then
        that is a reason to learn how to re-compile etc..

        > If anyone out there has:
        > experience with these products
        > more than a little patience
        > some time on their hands
        I have never even heard of them - sorry.

        > I'd love to ask some questions about things like "deprecated API"s.
        A deprecated API is one that is still available and works just fine
        but it is advisable not to use it anymore. Deprecated APIs may be
        removed in a future version of Java. Basically, Sun have improved
        the way Drag and Drop works but have not provided enough
        documentation for me to work out how to replace my use of this API.
        The specific API is only used to drag to a text based application (on
        windows: Notepad, Wordpad or Winword).

        Also responding to other offline questions you asked:
        > First off, in the MANIFEST file, is that the declaration of
        > the main class for the program?
        Yes. If you look in the makejar.cmd you will see how it is used when
        building the jar file.

        > What's the purpose of the build.xml file?
        Look at http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/index.html (and
        http://jakarta.apache.org/ too) to find out about Ant. This platform
        independent tool can be used to build the application from source
        files. build.xml is the list of stages and steps within each stage
        required to build the HeroWarsProgram.

        As a final aside, did you try using the 20011125 version and using
        the new settings to see if the Metal look and feel work better than
        the OS X look and feel. I used this setting to switch the
        application to the Windows look and feel and noticed the same
        problems that you reported. A brief delve through the source code
        that Sun provide showed that someone had taken a short cut and did
        not deal with a tree view where the rows change size. I use this
        functionality when you double click on anything in a character sheet.

        regards,
        Charles
      • hairyorlanthi
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2002
          --- In HeroWarsProgram@y..., "charlescorrigan" <charles@i...> wrote:
          other parts of my life are more important right now -
          > like helping my wife tame our 3.5 year old boy and earning money.

          Absolutely understandable.

          > > I'm no programmer, but I'm forging boldly ahead trying to
          > > compile the source code for OS X using MRJappbuilder, or
          > > perferably Project Builder.
          > Unless you are making code changes, there is no technical reason to
          > re-compile the application. If you are teaching yourself Java, then
          > that is a reason to learn how to re-compile etc..

          Well, according to the Project Builder documentation, there are lots of good reasons having to do with taking full advantage of Mac OS X, though my primary motivation is to see if it will actually function if I compile it using OS X native tools.

          Thanks for the info on the deprecated API, build.xml and makejar.

          > As a final aside, did you try using the 20011125 version and using
          > the new settings to see if the Metal look and feel work better than
          > the OS X look and feel.

          I did, and it made no difference.

          By the way, I've successfully built the app using Project Builder, but it still doesn't do drag & drop, though menus now appear at the top of the screen rather than in the floating window. This is correct Mac UI, of course.

          Forging bravely ahead!

          Mike