Re: Triads

  • Ian Cooper
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2001
      Really impressed with John's material on Kennings and Triads to help
      us flavour Heortling culture with an appropriate poetic tradition.

      One idea on triads though. For the Celts 3 was a number with magical
      significance (in fact my mother still says 'Trouble comes in threes'
      and when two bad events happen, anxiously awaits the third). However,
      apart from the Unholy Trio, we don't really have such a significance
      with 3 in Orlanthi culture. 7 is the more significant number for
      Heortlings (lightbringers, virtues, seats on the ring, years of a
      king's rule). This suggests eptiads (? sorry my Ancient Greek is more
      rusty thatn my Anglo Saxon, not sure if that's right) are more
      appropriate. Though they are more work to write, and have less of a
      haiku feel than the triads, so YMMV.

      Ian
    • Bruce Ferrie
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2001
        On Monday, October 01, 2001 4:13 PM, Ian Cooper
        [SMTP:ian_hammond_cooper@...] wrote:
        > One idea on triads though. For the Celts 3 was a number with magical
        > significance (in fact my mother still says 'Trouble comes in threes'
        > and when two bad events happen, anxiously awaits the third). However,
        > apart from the Unholy Trio, we don't really have such a significance
        > with 3 in Orlanthi culture. 7 is the more significant number for
        > Heortlings (lightbringers, virtues, seats on the ring, years of a
        > king's rule).

        Maybe bad things happen in threes and good things happen in sevens (or at least
        include a seven somewhere). So in the hypothetical "How Humakt's Sword Comes
        Back", instead of being carried back by a single wolf, seven ravens fly it back
        to him.

        Though I'm damned if I'm having things happen in sevens in my myths. They'll go
        on *forever*... :)

        Regards,

        Bruce
      • Thom Baguley
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 2, 2001
          >> Four winds.
          >
          >Six - you're missing the Winds of Above and Below, and
          >I haqve suspicions that there may be a seventh...

          Well, variously 4, 7 and 12! Four fighting winds (for example).

          The Earth mother thing is trickier: virgin, mother and crone seem to be the
          archetypes (with some specialities).

          My point (if I had one) was that lots of numbers have cultural significance
          to the heortlings.

          Thom