Re: [HeroQuest-RPG] Re: Inspirational reading etc. for a Pavis campaign

  • lev@mimesisrpg.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2012
      > Make sure you get hold of the Griselda stories by Oliver Dickinson!

      Seconded. I took the opportunity to use Treasure Trove Hurbi as an regular
      NPC and made use of one of Oliver's famous scenario:

      http://mimesisrpg.com/pipermail/runequestprax_mimesisrpg.com/2009-May/000057.html

      >> What would you include in a Pavis bibliography + cinematography?

      We used Peter Gabriel's "Rhythm of the Heat" as a theme song, if that
      helps any.

      I think you'll have to use a "The Magnificent Seven" scenario at some
      point, probably not for Pavis, but certainly for outlying town, perhaps in
      an isolated corner of Sun County. The usual great fare by Sergio Leone of
      course, and if you want some comic relief, "Straight to Hell".

      Hope this helps, Lev
    • differentcomputers
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 14, 2012
        I think my Pavis is different from most. I've never seen quite the same emphasis on its broken magical nature, or on how the 800 year occupation affects the culture, and how that culture is different from the immigrant culture of New Pavis.

        So:
        Anything about the siege of Stalingrad.
        All of Tanith Lee's Flat Earth books. (Excellent for Glorantha as a whole, really.)
        Big Trouble in Little China
        ROME
        Raymond Chandler novels.

        I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of them at the moment.

        You might find some inspiration for Pavis at http://commonworlds.org
        It chronicles my now 12 year long Pavis game.

        Mike Dawson
      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 21, 2012
          For what it is worth, the main books I was reading while I wrote Pavis were:

          "The Maltese Falcon" and "The Continental Op" collection by Dashiell Hammett.
          "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy
          Oxford History of the American West
          Collection of Babylonian stories (Gilgamesh, Descent of Ishtar in the Underworld, etc)
          "The French Quarter" and "The Gangs of New York" by Herbert Asbury
          The Complete Chronicles of Conan" by Robert E. Howard
          "Titus Groan" by Mervyn Peake
          The Kalevala
          "Die Heroen der Griechen" by Karoly Kerenyi
          "The Complete Griselda" by Oliver Dickinson

          The books may or may not have influenced bits of Pavis, but were certainly circulating around in my head at the time.

          > So:
          > Anything about the siege of Stalingrad.
          > All of Tanith Lee's Flat Earth books. (Excellent for Glorantha as a whole, really.)
          > Big Trouble in Little China
          > ROME
          > Raymond Chandler novels.
          >
          > I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of them at the moment.
          >
          > You might find some inspiration for Pavis at http://commonworlds.org
          > It chronicles my now 12 year long Pavis game.
          >
          > Mike Dawson

        • differentcomputers
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 12, 2012
            Any and all Raymond Chandler.

            More generally, focus early on. Pick one major villain for the Heroes, then work out from him/her/it so you understand how the Big Bad controls the people who the Heroes think are the Big Bad. Layers in layers.

            Consider whether the Big Events are going to be background or the sorts of things the Heroes will be pulled directly into. If it's the latter, then one of your heroes could be a last Arrowsmith scion, or Argrath of Pavis, or attuned to the Ghost of Genert, or some such.

            Also, think hard about whether the game will emphasize New Pavis, Prax, or the Rubble. These are three potentially VERY different settings, with very different feels to the games.

            Personally, I encourage you to embrace and extend the great heroic plots for Pavis:

            The Cradle
            Expulsion of the Lunars and destruction of New Pavis
            Rebirth of the Old City
            Renaissance of Trade (especially rice/grain from Kralorela to Sartar)
            Restoration of Genert
            Return to the Green Age and disappearance of Pavis from history

            All that said, as I mentioned in earlier posts, my Pavis is much weirder and more magically significant than that described in the Pavis books.

            Mike Dawson