RE: [HeroQuest-RPG] Re: odds

  • chris jensen romer
    Message 1 of 32 , Feb 23, 2012
      On the subject of odds I was thinking of using 'high roll wins ties' to slightly increase the chance of the higher ability winning. How would that effect Dan's 10 vs 15 example mathematically? And is there a downside?

      To: HeroQuest-RPG@yahoogroups.com
      From: lightcastle@...
      Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 10:18:23 -0500
      Subject: Re: [HeroQuest-RPG] Re: odds

      Yeah, it always struck me that the idea in HQ is that people of about

      the same mastery level are very evenly matched, with big differences

      noticeable when you shift over a level.

      Mind you, since most games seem to have everyone clustered around the

      same level except in their specialties, this means most things are

      toss-ups. At the same time, I suspect this is the point. Only roll when

      it is an interesting contest and all that.

      If I recall from the old spreadsheet that calculated odds, one of the

      things that is interesting with HQ is that due to the weird edge effects

      caused by bumping and masteries, the actual odds bonuses for a given

      spread of points and for a given augment or situational modifier is not

      obvious. +3 or +6 in a 10 v 15 situation does not change things exactly

      the same way as it would in a 13 v 18 situation. All you know is your

      odds are "better than they were".

      Neil Smith wrote:

      >It depends on your expectations. In HQ, you need about a mastery

      advantage

      >over someone to have a good chance of defeating them. So long as everyone

      >knows that, I don't see what the problem is.

    • chris jensen romer
      Message 32 of 32 , Feb 23, 2012

        To: HeroQuest-RPG@yahoogroups.com
        From: lightcastle@...