Re: [HeroQuest-RPG] Re: Dungeoneering with Heroquest?

  • Bruce Baugh
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 5, 2012
      On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 8:39 AM, Jeff <richaje@...> wrote:

      **
      > I've run a few old AD&D adventures using HQ2 and players had a wonderful
      > time. One thing that was interesting is how much *more* tactical and shrewd
      > the players felt they needed to be to survive in HQ2; while in AD&D we knew
      > our hit points and could use "rules tactics" to simply take down fire
      > giants, the HQ2 players concluded that fighting a fire giant would likely
      > be Very Hard or Nearly Impossible, so tended to sneak around a lot more and
      > be far more judicious in choosing battles.

      I've dabbled a little bit (and want to do more) and had similar
      experiences. The system really rewards the thought "OK, what can we do to
      shift odds in our favor?" There's a lot of stuff in old dungeons that we
      never used much at the time, like setting off alarms in one part of the
      hill giants' steading and then looting through another part, but HQ
      augments make such things very worthwhile.