Re: The Missionaries

  • Madeleine Eid
    Message 1 of 73 , Jan 1, 2006
      >> Then again we use magic to determine whether stuff
      >> is fresh or not
      >> - the supermarket label giving the "best before" or
      >> "sell by" date.
      >
      >Good grief, you don't believe/trust those things do
      >you???

      Having just eaten some rice that according to the packet was sell by
      2000, certainly not! It had been kept in a closed jar fortunately,
      otherwise I wouldn't have used it, but there was no visible signs of
      spoilage and smelt quite fine! Very tasty it was too, cooked with a
      beef and bean stew.

      TTFN

      Maddy
    • nichughes2001
      Message 73 of 73 , Jan 3, 2006
        --- In HeroQuest-RPG@yahoogroups.com, David Weihe <blerg2@y...> wrote:

        > nichughes2001" <nicolas.h@v...>
        > > The people would retain folk tales, local habits and
        > > the ways of their ancestors. The place to look for
        > > these remnants in the 3rd age would probably be in the
        > > common magic religions of the region and in the folk
        > > tales told to children and largely disregarded by the
        > > powerful and pious. Some of these lessons will suddenly
        > > prove valuable again when Whitewall falls.
        >
        > No, they will be useless. The Missionaries describes a visit to the
        > Talastari, who are all within the modern Glowline, and beyond the
        > magic-killing effects of the Windstop (except for some wandering
        > individuals, of course).

        I think you misunderstood my point, the lessons of this particular
        clan would have become part of the knowledge of the common religion.
        After all it seems very likely that the lightbringers would have had a
        Flesh Man representative with them even though I don't recall a
        specific mention in the story.

        Other clans would benefit, perhaps even Heortling clans. The transfer
        of knowledge need not have been entirely one-way and when it says the
        Hagolings told their own survival story it implies that it was not.

        I am less clear whether Flesh Man ever was the common magic religion
        this far north or whether there were two common magic religions with
        an amount of cross-fertilisation of ideas. The lists of talents for
        the Heortlings and Tarshites are remarkably similar.

        --
        Nic