Re: [HeroWars] Re: Animists and their religious beliefs

  • Peter Metcalfe
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2000
      Jeffrey Kyer wrote:

      > From a game standpoint, [Animists] can
      >deal out considerable smackdown on a theist or sorcerer with their more
      >generalized fetishes.

      But their fetishes shouldn't be generalized. Improvisation is
      a theistic thing.

      --Peter Metcalfe
    • David Dunham
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2000
        Wulf

        >Problem with Animist writeups (as opposed to characters) is that most
        >don't have to state what Tradition they belong to, they get no real
        >choice - saying Wanasgard is a male Grazer tells you what tradition
        >he belongs to, stating it explicitly would waste precious words
        >(although personally I'd prefer it was stated)

        Yes, I try to be sparing in character writeups. The capitalized word
        "Warrior" in Wanasgard's writeup implies (to me at least) the Grazer
        keyword as well as the Jardan the Warrior keyword. And I was short of
        words, what with needing to detail allies/followers (even with
        fudging the animals).

        I believe it's no longer mentioned, but a version of the Hero Wars
        rules suggested that Narrators allow extra words for information
        important to their game (such as clan affiliation). I'm in this boat
        as well -- IIRC in my Jrusteli game I gave players whatever words
        they needed to mention their city of origin.

        As for Wanasgard, he didn't have an unusual (for a Grazer Warrior)
        relationship with great or lesser spirits, so I didn't mention
        anything.

        And I don't think the typical Warrior does have the same sort of
        personal relationship with Jardan as a Heortling weaponthane would
        with his deity.

        David Dunham dunham@...
        Glorantha/HW/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html
      • Tim Ellis
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2000
          --- In HeroWars@egroups.com, David Dunham <david@a...> wrote:

          > I believe it's no longer mentioned, but a version of the Hero Wars
          > rules suggested that Narrators allow extra words for information
          > important to their game (such as clan affiliation). I'm in this
          > boat as well -- IIRC in my Jrusteli game I gave players whatever
          > words they needed to mention their city of origin.

          You could almost provide a template for your Players

          [Name] is a [occupation Keyword] from [Name of Clan/Tribe/town etc -
          Implies Culture Keyword] and a [Magic Keyword. Now write another
          100/95/90 (depending on how much of the template you want to include)
          words to 'flesh out' your character.

          I'd only allow 1 (set of) keywords here, although others may still be
          taken as normal (so "Devotee of Orlanth Adventurous" would not count,
          but "and an initiate of Yinkin" would, for example.