Re: [Hemp and Macrame Jewelry Pattern Trading] New Member. Hello!

  • elena
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 6, 2011
      Hello Thomas!
      It's nice to meet such and accomplished knotter, Welcome.
      I'm in my 5th year as a macrame artist, keeping my day job and enjoying this art as a result of an empty nest. I have books on the sailors knots, wow, difficult. The chinese knots are just as difficult. I did learn the kumihimo braid but that's going slow...practice and patience is what it's all about.
      My two inspirational macrame artists are Joan Babcock (joanbabcock.com) and Marion, Jewels in fiber (jewelsinfiber.com)
      I hope to be exchanging information and learning from a pro.
      Have a great day!
      Elena

      --- In Hemp_and_Macrame_Jewelry_Pattern_Trading@yahoogroups.com, Valerie Adams <gibabe2002@...> wrote:

      > Hi Thomas! Nice to meet you!
      >
      > Valerie

    • Mary Gail
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 6, 2011
        Hi Thomas ,
        Welcome to group and I hope more people will start coming in and leave message and post their work here as often as possibole . Im here to do the samething just need to find right time to do so . I plan on getting back to macrame and would love to find time to do it without being too busy with other issues . I have book called," Micro-macrame' 30 beaded designs for jewerly using crystals and cords " by Annika deGroot love her book she also has website
        http://www.annikadegroot.com/ . Also love "The Macrame' Book" by Helene Bress she is really good too . To Elena I agree with two other woman's site that you posted their links I do check out their web site too and they do awesome job on micro-macrame jewerly too . Also if you type macrame' blog there are so many sites that has it some good and some slow like this group but , I was kinda hoping to find as many macrame' sites I want to learn again and get into the habit too. Nice to meet you Thomas and Elena . Oh here is Annika deGroot's link for free turtorail so you can learn to make aspen choker free
        http://www.annikadegroot.com/Aspen%20Choker%20Tutorial.pd
        Enjoying making one : D

        MaryGail

        --- In Hemp_and_Macrame_Jewelry_Pattern_Trading@yahoogroups.com, "Tommytroll" <thomashastay@...> wrote:

        > Hello Group, My name is Thomas and I am addicted to Knotwork!
        >
        > I have been knotting, or as we Sailors say...Practicing Marlinspike Seamanship, for 25 years now. I have not made any hemp/leather "soft jewelry" for a few years, but I would like to continue that part of knotwork now. My most profitable and recent venture was making Large scale tablet weave panels for decorative fencing, ropework railings, pillars and boat fenders/puddings.
        >
        > In 2001 I was a teacher of ropework onboard a replica ship "The Nina" traveling the Mississippi, its tributaries and the gulf coast. I also design and make woodwind instruments. I have made many fancy lanyards for ocarinas, panflutes and small Picco pipes and decorate my Walking Stick Flutes with Hemp/Lethercraft knotwork. I hope to make many new friends here(?) I'm here to learn from all of you, but if I can contribute, I would be happy to do so.
        >
        > My favorite topic books are...
        > The Ashley book of Knots by Clifford Ashley.
        > The Encyclopedia of Knots and Ropework by Raoul Gramount.
        > The Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding by Bruce Grant.
        > Kumihimo/Peruvian Braiding/Tablet Weaving books.
        >
        > Thomas.

      • elena
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 6, 2011
          Hi MaryGail,
          I just bought Annika's book to learn how to mount the cabochons. Good directions but I found her cord measurements way to long. I think the way she started the Mermaid's Trove necklace and the Mariposa necklace is pretty nifty. Love it and will be putting my new learned tricks of the trade to work for me. She also uses a tremendous amount of beads as she is a beader. I tend to use mostly knotwork. The world of macrame is endless...always good to meet new people and chat about our passions.
          Take care and happy knotting!

          --- In Hemp_and_Macrame_Jewelry_Pattern_Trading@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Gail" <m_g_36@...> wrote:

          > Hi Thomas ,
          > Welcome to group and I hope more people will start coming in and leave message and post their work here as often as possibole . Im here to do the samething just need to find right time to do so . I plan on getting back to macrame and would love to find time to do it without being too busy with other issues . I have book called," Micro-macrame' 30 beaded designs for jewerly using crystals and cords " by Annika deGroot love her book she also has website
          > http://www.annikadegroot.com/ . Also love "The Macrame' Book" by Helene Bress she is really good too . To Elena I agree with two other woman's site that you posted their links I do check out their web site too and they do awesome job on micro-macrame jewerly too . Also if you type macrame' blog there are so many sites that has it some good and some slow like this group but , I was kinda hoping to find as many macrame' sites I want to learn again and get into the habit too. Nice to meet you Thomas and Elena . Oh here is Annika deGroot's link for free turtorail so you can learn to make aspen choker free
          > http://www.annikadegroot.com/Aspen%20Choker%20Tutorial.pd
          > Enjoying making one : D
          >
          > MaryGail
          >

          > --- In Hemp_and_Macrame_Jewelry_Pattern_Trading@yahoogroups.com, "Tommytroll" <thomashastay@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello Group, My name is Thomas and I am addicted to Knotwork!
          > >
          > > I have been knotting, or as we Sailors say...Practicing Marlinspike Seamanship, for 25 years now. I have not made any hemp/leather "soft jewelry" for a few years, but I would like to continue that part of knotwork now. My most profitable and recent venture was making Large scale tablet weave panels for decorative fencing, ropework railings, pillars and boat fenders/puddings.
          > >
          > > In 2001 I was a teacher of ropework onboard a replica ship "The Nina" traveling the Mississippi, its tributaries and the gulf coast. I also design and make woodwind instruments. I have made many fancy lanyards for ocarinas, panflutes and small Picco pipes and decorate my Walking Stick Flutes with Hemp/Lethercraft knotwork. I hope to make many new friends here(?) I'm here to learn from all of you, but if I can contribute, I would be happy to do so.
          > >
          > > My favorite topic books are...
          > > The Ashley book of Knots by Clifford Ashley.
          > > The Encyclopedia of Knots and Ropework by Raoul Gramount.
          > > The Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding by Bruce Grant.
          > > Kumihimo/Peruvian Braiding/Tablet Weaving books.
          > >
          > > Thomas.

        • elena
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 6, 2011
            Hello again Thomas,
            I forgot to ask you if you have andy pictures of your work? I'm especially interested in the fencing and railing work.
            Peace,
            Elena

            --- In Hemp_and_Macrame_Jewelry_Pattern_Trading@yahoogroups.com, "Tommytroll" <thomashastay@...> wrote:

            > Hello Group, My name is Thomas and I am addicted to Knotwork!
            >
            > I have been knotting, or as we Sailors say...Practicing Marlinspike Seamanship, for 25 years now. I have not made any hemp/leather "soft jewelry" for a few years, but I would like to continue that part of knotwork now. My most profitable and recent venture was making Large scale tablet weave panels for decorative fencing, ropework railings, pillars and boat fenders/puddings.
            >
            > In 2001 I was a teacher of ropework onboard a replica ship "The Nina" traveling the Mississippi, its tributaries and the gulf coast. I also design and make woodwind instruments. I have made many fancy lanyards for ocarinas, panflutes and small Picco pipes and decorate my Walking Stick Flutes with Hemp/Lethercraft knotwork. I hope to make many new friends here(?) I'm here to learn from all of you, but if I can contribute, I would be happy to do so.
            >
            > My favorite topic books are...
            > The Ashley book of Knots by Clifford Ashley.
            > The Encyclopedia of Knots and Ropework by Raoul Gramount.
            > The Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding by Bruce Grant.
            > Kumihimo/Peruvian Braiding/Tablet Weaving books.
            >
            > Thomas.

          • Marsha Rader
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 7, 2011
              I have that 30 beaded designs book as well. Lovely items in there and so much inspiration. Now to get the dining room table cleared off so I can work! I am fairly new here too and getting back to macrame after spotting some lovely items on etsy and ebay that I just HAD to have! I have been buying beads and nylon and have a nice assortment of patterns. Now to find the time!

              Marsha

              My pictures: http://www.flickr.com/bearfootbeauty

              To: Hemp_and_Macrame_Jewelry_Pattern_Trading@yahoogroups.com
              From: m_g_36@...
              Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 15:20:50 +0000
              Subject: [Hemp and Macrame Jewelry Pattern Trading] Re: New Member. Hello!

              Hi Thomas ,
              Welcome to group and I hope more people will start coming in and leave message and post their work here as often as possibole . Im here to do the samething just need to find right time to do so . I plan on getting back to macrame and would love to find time to do it without being too busy with other issues . I have book called," Micro-macrame' 30 beaded designs for jewerly using crystals and cords " by Annika deGroot love her book she also has website
              http://www.annikadegroot.com/ . Also love "The Macrame' Book" by Helene Bress she is really good too . To Elena I agree with two other woman's site that you posted their links I do check out their web site too and they do awesome job on micro-macrame jewerly too . Also if you type macrame' blog there are so many sites that has it some good and some slow like this group but , I was kinda hoping to find as many macrame' sites I want to learn again and get into the habit too. Nice to meet you Thomas and Elena . Oh here is Annika deGroot's link for free turtorail so you can learn to make aspen choker free
              http://www.annikadegroot.com/Aspen%20Choker%20Tutorial.pd
              Enjoying making one : D

              MaryGail

              --- In Hemp_and_Macrame_Jewelry_Pattern_Trading@yahoogroups.com, "Tommytroll" <thomashastay@...> wrote:

              > Hello Group, My name is Thomas and I am addicted to Knotwork!
              >
              > I have been knotting, or as we Sailors say...Practicing Marlinspike Seamanship, for 25 years now. I have not made any hemp/leather "soft jewelry" for a few years, but I would like to continue that part of knotwork now. My most profitable and recent venture was making Large scale tablet weave panels for decorative fencing, ropework railings, pillars and boat fenders/puddings.
              >
              > In 2001 I was a teacher of ropework onboard a replica ship "The Nina" traveling the Mississippi, its tributaries and the gulf coast. I also design and make woodwind instruments. I have made many fancy lanyards for ocarinas, panflutes and small Picco pipes and decorate my Walking Stick Flutes with Hemp/Lethercraft knotwork. I hope to make many new friends here(?) I'm here to learn from all of you, but if I can contribute, I would be happy to do so.
              >
              > My favorite topic books are...
              > The Ashley book of Knots by Clifford Ashley.
              > The Encyclopedia of Knots and Ropework by Raoul Gramount.
              > The Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding by Bruce Grant.
              > Kumihimo/Peruvian Braiding/Tablet Weaving books.
              >
              > Thomas.

            • eribbit69
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 7, 2011
                Hi Marsha,
                Wow, looks like you are surrounded by wonderful talented people and beads! Love the iris too.
                The design book is wonderful although the cord measurements are very long. Don't know, maybe it's my measurements. I'm sure you'll be creating beautiful knotwork in no time.
                Have a peaceful evening,
                Elena