any suggestions for ending a necklace that has like 8 strands nicely?

  • fsimecki
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 17, 2010
      it always seems harder to end the jewelry when there are many strands used rather than a 3 or 4 strand peice, but i LOVE the look of thicker peices... any suggestions on nice endings/closures that don't look sloppy???
    • Katie Wiseman
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 29, 2010
        I'm an old macrame-er and now my free time is spent quilting mostly - but I still love to do a project on the road or at the festival or fair... There's a product called "fray-check" that's been around for years. Lot's of manufacturers carry it and it's available at fabric and quilt stores. I would suggest taking just one or two strands and knotting your piece off with those. Paint some fray-check on the ends of the hemp (or clear nail polish maybe) to keep them from turning to mush. Maybe you could hot glue or super glue a bead on the ends of 8 even strands of hemp...
        Anyway hopefully you're doing a delicate type of knot with thin/waxed hemp - this won't be too big of a deal if you just overhand it - hopefully you're not using the fat, plant-holder hemp with 8 strands.. LOL.

        ~Katie
        www.KatiesQuiltsandCrafts.blogspot.com

      • elena
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2011
          Hello!
          When I work with thick hemp or a lot of cords I make a sinnet of square knots with 2 knotting cords and the rest fillers. As I knot I cut the inner cords down until there is only one holding cord left. Three cords are much easier to finish with. How do you finish your jewelry? With a bead and hoop, tie on?
          Peace,
          Elena

          --- In Hemp_and_Macrame_Jewelry_Pattern_Trading@yahoogroups.com, "fsimecki" <francessimecki@...> wrote:

          > it always seems harder to end the jewelry when there are many strands used rather than a 3 or 4 strand peice, but i LOVE the look of thicker peices... any suggestions on nice endings/closures that don't look sloppy???

        • Valerie Adams
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
            Cool idea Elena!
            I have recently started using metal findings to close my necklaces. This makes them adjustable and easy to put on and take off without fraying the knot or loop. Simply slip a sturdy jump ring through a cord and pull tight to lock ring in place. Do this on both sides and then you can attach whatever closing you want (lobster claw, etc). Another way if you want to stay away from metal is closing it with a button. The idea here is to attach a button on the finishing end so the loop at the beginning can wrap around it. hope this helps :)

            Val

            When I work with thick hemp or a lot of cords I make a sinnet of square knots with 2 knotting cords and the rest fillers. As I knot I cut the inner cords down until there is only one holding cord left. Three cords are much easier to finish with. How do you finish your jewelry? With a bead and hoop, tie on?

            Peace,

            Elena

            --- In Hemp_and_Macrame_Jewelry_Pattern_Trading@yahoogroups.com, "fsimecki" <francessimecki@...> wrote:

            > it always seems harder to end the jewelry when there are many strands used rather than a 3 or 4 strand peice, but i LOVE the look of thicker peices... any suggestions on nice endings/closures that don't look sloppy???

          • Mary Gail
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 4, 2011
              I agree with Valrie I have done the same with my bracelets and necklace especially friendship bracelets . Or you can use bead as end of your necklace also to fit in loop of beginning . I will try to post some of my bracelets and necklace sometime .

              MG