where

  • lynn
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 20, 2010
      Do you get your hemp? I have been using global hemp,but have recently found hemptique which is 6 ply!Haven't tried it yet, does any one use hemtique?
    • Denyse
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 21, 2010
        I spin and ply my own. :-)

        Cheers!
        Denyse

        lynn wrote:
        > Do you get your hemp? I have been using global hemp,but have recently found hemptique which is 6 ply!Haven't tried it yet, does any one use hemtique?

      • Dude
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 25, 2010
          Are you serious? I love this kind of stuff. Where can I find info on
          spinning my own hemp? Do you have any good sources?

          > Do you get your hemp? I have been using global hemp,but have recently
          found hemptique which is 6 ply!Haven't tried it yet, does any one use
          hemtique?

        • Christina Ortega Phillips
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 25, 2010
            Really?! Denyse, that is impressive. How does one spin and ply their own?

            Chris

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 27, 2010
              Yep, I'm serious. I buy hemp roving (sliver)in bulk and spin it similar
              to this lady:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tnwcAf4VIw

              I spin it mainly on my Fricke E Spinner (electric spinning wheel) but
              also on my Ashford Kiwi (manual wheel). I "wet spin" it the first time
              and ply it dry. I've got a recently spun ball that I'm going to ply this
              weekend. I tend to use it as soon as it's "rested" enough so I never
              have much on hand. I'll post a pic of this ball before I use it all up. :-)

              As for sources, other than the video above, hemp spins similar to flax
              so any flax spinning instructions would be a good place to start. If
              ya'll like, I'll post a list of resource links in a few days. I'm
              self-employed and behind a bit due to an injury so I need to fill a few
              orders first. :-)

              Cheers!
              Denyse

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 28, 2010
                Hi Chris,

                Yes, really. :-) Spinning hemp is similar to flax -- a bit fidgety
                because it's wiry. It takes time and patience but the softer, more even
                single strand is worth it. On a good day I can spin 10 yards an hour.
                Plying takes less time and decreases the original yardage by half. Then
                you have to skein and boil it, hammer it and wait for it to air dry. It
                takes a long time, but the end result is more than worth it. :-)

                Cheers!
                Denyse

                Christina Ortega Phillips wrote:
                > Really?! Denyse, that is impressive. How does one spin and ply their own?
                >
                > Chris

              • Dude
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 28, 2010
                  Denyse, please, do tell!

                  Really?! Denyse, that is impressive. How does one spin and ply their own?

                  Chris

                  > Do you get your hemp? I have been using global hemp,but have recently found hemptique which is 6 ply!Haven't tried it yet, does any one use hemtique?

                • Katie Wiseman
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 31, 2010
                    WOW! Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom with us! That really is amazing - seems like something weavers/knotters/macrame-ers would be instantly attracted to since we already work with our hands.

                    ~Katie
                    Milton, WV

                  • retired_kite_flyer
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 25, 2010
                      I'm
                      > self-employed and behind a bit due to an injury so I need to fill a few
                      > orders first. :-)
                      >
                      > Cheers!
                      > Denyse

                      Hey Denyse,
                      Let me know when you get caught up and I'll put you to work again spinning some 2-ply for me. Can you make it 2mm or less in diameter? ;-D
                      Seriously,
                      Keith
                    • Denyse
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 27, 2010
                        HI Keith,

                        I'm all caught up and feeling great. Yes, I can make it 2mm or less in
                        diameter -- 2 ply of course. :-)

                        Seriously,
                        Denyse