Introduction

  • lyn day
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 16, 2008
      A long while ago (before Christmas and a bad cold!), I was very pleased to discover this group.  I am Lyn Day, living near Cincinnati, and with dry macular degeneration.  I have benefited greatly from the visual aids from Ohio's Low Vision Service. Currently I have a solo show at the Guild gallery that you can check into, if you are interested: google weavers guild cincinnati and then on the site scroll down to photos.

      For threading I use 3x lenses clipped on to my regular glasses.  A magnifying light taped to the castle of  the Dorset or an Ott floor lamp next to the Norwood are wonderful for adding light.  I try to use a larger dent reed if possible, i.e., put two threads in an eight dent reed instead using a 15 dent reed.  The extra thread doesn't seem to make any difference.  I did thread navy carpet warp in a 12 dent reed and it gave me enough trouble that I certainly wished I had a six dent reed.

      That makes me wonder if anyone in this group has tried the auto denter that I have heard AVL makes.  I don't know anything about it, does anyone else?

      Has this group made an attempt to write an article about the suggestions we have for increasing visual function?.  It was really nice to read about the group in the Complex Weavers newsletter, but are there other ways we could spread the word about our determination to keep weaving?

      Back to the loom - where I am currently weaving place mats, using for weft the clear plastic bags from around our daily newspaper.  They are quite sparkly with a warp of widely spaced black and white and red (read) stripes.   Lyn Day
    • Kati Reeder Meek
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 17, 2008
        Hi Lyn,

        Welcome to the group and good for you, doing all you can to keep on
        weaving.

        Yes, I use and depend greatly on the auto-denter! It is important to
        match the stiffness of the blade to the reed blade size. The very
        flexible denters work only in a very fine reeds. The stiffer-bladed
        denters work best in the more open reeds. Last that I knew, there
        were no size/stiffness designations on the denters and some dealers
        don't even realize they come in different stiffnesses.

        They are expensive, but for me, worth the weight in gold! I always
        suspend the reed flat. I practice running it with no thread until I
        learn how it SOUNDS when it it is working correctly. It takes a
        little care to keep it vertical, centered, and gently pressed in the
        direction that it walks. I usually dent with 2, 3, 4 or more threads
        per space - easier on the threads as well as much faster to sley.

        There are illustrations in Warp With A Trapeze and Dance with you
        Loom.

        Treadle with Joy, Kati
      • lyn day