Some Action Please!!!

  • Vernice Myers
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 5, 2007
      This is the quietest list I have ever belonged to. Isn't any member
      doing some weaving? Let's hear about what you are weaving. Any tips or
      weaving disasters? We like to hear about all of them. I did finish
      threading my floor loom with 10/2 cotton 18" width Several times I had
      to rethread the pattern due to errors.(even counting the heddles before
      threading) It is a 12 shaft pointtwill. My daughter was here last
      Sunday and she lifted the beater/reed back into place. Now it is ready
      for the sleying. I know it should be sleyed probably at 30 epi but I
      will have to be satisfied with 24 epi. I have asked Santa for one of
      those head lights. I understand that one of those should help with the
      sleying, etc. I discovered at the last Western Weavers meeting several
      members have one. They use them at night to walk theit dog (I have no
      dog just a new kitty), take the trash out (my containe is close to the
      back door), take evening walks (I can't do that as I use oxygen and a
      walker) BUT I am sure I can use it for my weaving!!!! Vernice
    • Kati Reeder Meek
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 5, 2007
        Hi Vernice,

        Thanks for the note. I was beginning to wonder if I'd been dropped off
        the list. I have asked for digest format, but when I do get any
        messages, like yours just now, the format is quite different from the
        digests I get from WeaveTech, for instance. At least I got yours.
        Hurrah!

        Threading a 12-shaft loom is tricky for ANYone. I mixed up some fiber-
        reactive red dye with rubbing alcohol (as per instructions from ProChem
        for dyeing wood) and 'painted' number 5 shaft bars - top and bottom,
        and number 5 lams, top and bottom. The contrast in value of the middle
        shaft is the real clue, I just like red, so chose that. (This is on a
        10-shaft all red Glimakra.) Bright nail polish would work on a loom
        with metal parts, I'll bet.

        I also am careful to use a contrasting value cloth to drape all parts
        of the loom and floor between my eyes and the heddles and lease
        sticks. For white warps I use a dusty rose color, for dark warps, I
        use white. It also helps me to suspend my lease sticks close to the
        heddle eyes. I hang them one over the other so I can see both halves
        of the cross in the same focal-plane.

        I just finished and cold-mangled a large (34" x 59") 10/1 linen sauna
        towel - I used (a clean place on) my laminated floor and my marble
        rolling pin. The towel shines!

        Happy weaving, Kati
      • Kati Reeder Meek
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 5, 2007
          (This is on a 10-shaft all red Glimakra.) Kati

          Duh, my loom is not 'red' it is WOOD. Sorry is this was confusing. KM.

          PS the speed with which I received my posting to the list back, it
          would appear that I am not getting the digest format. KM
        • Kenneth & Peggy Hoyt
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 6, 2007
            Hi Kati and Vernice,
            Kati, such good suggestions for handling a multi-shaft loom. I find contrast very important too. And I am so interested to hear about your work with linen--it's my favorite fiber too. I'm working with some fine linen, doubled for weft with a 32 epi cotton warp on my little 4 shaft loom as seen in that 'article' in the Complex Weaver Journal. It's working out well with an 'orange peel' overshot.  My big Glimakra loom is at our museum set up for drawloom weaving. at www.kirkmanhousemuseum.org
            I hope to hear from other about what they are doing.
            Peggy Hoyt

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 6, 2007
              The link that Peggy gave to Kirkman House Museum is certainly worth a
              look. Lots of fiber activities going on and suspect that since Peggy
              has loaner her Glimakra, that she is one of the movers and shakers of
              this beautiful old and active home.

              Thanks for sharing, Peggy. What are the rest of you up to?

              Merry Warps and Happy Dyepots, Kati