Time to Get Active

  • Margaret
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 19, 2011
      I am one of the helping hands and eyes (just don't ask for ears).

      Vernice has just written her annual message to let the larger weaving world know of this list's existence and we'll be getting new members.

      However, we are so quiet . . . almost too quiet. As I'm just a helper, it's difficult for me to generate a topic, but since when has not knowing what I'm doing stand in the way.

      How about everyone re-introduce themselves and talk a little bit about what they are working on?

      I'll go first. I'm Margaret (Marg with a hard "g") Coe. My grandmother was blind from cataracts at a time when surgery was at first not existent and later too old to undergo it. With a little sight, she crocheted, tatted, and knitted. When she had no sight, crochet was impossible, but she knitted almost to the end.

      My job, when I was about 9, was to count rows or stitches when she lost count! And from her I learned to crochet and knit, though tatting was always a challenge.

      In weaving I'm working on creating tutorials for designing a variety of different structures using Photoshop. The goal is to have the tutorials and samples done and published as a monograph before CW2012. I am also working as the CW2012 graphics and publicity chair.

      Back to it.

      Marg
    • nancy biggins
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 19, 2011
        since you are calling for intro's, i will make a quick response to margaret

        i too had a greatgrandmother who lived with different family members on
        a rotating basis. that was back
        in toledo ohio at end of WW2. i was about 7 and she taught me to
        crochet which i still do, and to knit
        but the "old" way not throwing your yarn. so, mostly i dont knit as
        patterns and friends who do "proper"
        knitting and i do not seem to communicate well. but, the real reason i
        am responding to margaret is to
        share the me-too about tatting. grandma tatted beautifully but i was
        too young or not coordinated enough
        to learn. i have always been sorry...

        nancy biggins, usually called "old nancy" but vernice has an aversion to
        me by my common name.
        p s, my weaving interest started very early in life as my father wove
        about the time i was born and
        again at the end of his life we shared. i have his loom here. it is in
        the garage where too cold this winter
        for finishing off his warp. i weave on other looms or cut rags to
        finish off his.

        On 3/19/2011 8:43 AM, Margaret wrote:
        > I am one of the helping hands and eyes (just don't ask for ears).
        >
        > Vernice has just written her annual message to let the larger weaving world know of this list's existence and we'll be getting new members.
        >
        > However, we are so quiet . . . almost too quiet. As I'm just a helper, it's difficult for me to generate a topic, but since when has not knowing what I'm doing stand in the way.
        >
        > How about everyone re-introduce themselves and talk a little bit about what they are working on?
        >
        > I'll go first. I'm Margaret (Marg with a hard "g") Coe. My grandmother was blind from cataracts at a time when surgery was at first not existent and later too old to undergo it. With a little sight, she crocheted, tatted, and knitted. When she had no sight, crochet was impossible, but she knitted almost to the end.
        >
        > My job, when I was about 9, was to count rows or stitches when she lost count! And from her I learned to crochet and knit, though tatting was always a challenge.
        >
        > In weaving I'm working on creating tutorials for designing a variety of different structures using Photoshop. The goal is to have the tutorials and samples done and published as a monograph before CW2012. I am also working as the CW2012 graphics and publicity chair.
        >
        > Back to it.
        >
        > Marg

        > -----
        > No virus found in this message.

      • Marg Coe
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 19, 2011
          Hi Nancy

          The different systems of knitting--throwing versus picking are not new or old.  And certainly neither is more proper.  They were described in the past as English versus European.  In most of Europe they pick, in England it's throw.  At least if I'm understanding your message correctly your knitting friends need to back off or they'll be embarrassed if they travel.

          Marg
          ____________________________________
          Marg Coe, Tucson, AZ, USA
          Fit 2 be Tied - a digital approach
          http://www.coeproduced.com/F2bT.htm
          ____________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 19, 2011
            you make me smile
            long ago someone tried to convert me to throwing the yarn and i made a horrendous mess.  now, i mostly dont knit
            as california is a bit warm for knitted and i ..... started to say i am allergic to wool and then remembered the pounds of
            fleeces and the pounds of roving and sliver waiting their respective turns.  i guess our hands react differently than our "bodies".

            i have problem "today" crocheting tho as i cannot figure out present day nomenclatures in the patterns.  i was going to crochet
            some baby blankets and the patterns and i never cooperated.  back to weaving... much easier.  having propped open the collingwood
            bible beside me on loom bench and learned the 3end blocks while at same time threading to do shaftswitching when i figure
            that out, my next project is on that loom to learn the 4end blocks and see the difference.  i am way behind all the rest of you as
            for decades my weaving was all in my mind as i sat endless hours in courtrooms waiting my turn.  my head knows lots more than
            my fingers know.  it is frustrating when they dont cooperate with each other

            On 3/19/2011 10:26 AM, Marg Coe wrote:
[...]

          • vernice
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 19, 2011

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 19, 2011
                vernice,
                maybe it is part of my "name" to me and not an indicea of age because i started my children clients
                calling me that decades ago when i in my 30s.  i am old now, really old, but the "name" predates that
                by years and years.  right now i am COLD, WET nancy, and i want the eternal rain to stop.  stop!!!

                somehow until i retired i was not aware that wood doors [and other wood stuff also] swells and shrinks
                in perpetual rain.  there are two doors between me and the loom i would prefer to work on that are
                rain-swollen and i already broke one of them kicking it.  alas and alack.  when dry weather and summer
                comes, i have to have a carptenter deal with them but i suppose i need to mark them with chalk where
                the sticking is...
                and as for there not going to be enough time to do.......i really understand that feeling.  i had to wait
                til now, and now will never be big enough for all the things i have waited to get to do or ways to try.
                however one nice thing is discovering the universities with free online lectures to download.  i have
                downloaded about 60 hours of theoretical physics from stanford and i listen over and over and over.
                then of course i had to buy a good math book to update me in trig or calculus and did not know
                whether to laugh or cry when occurred to me that i was 50 years out of practice and out of date.
                but i listen while i weave and am grateful that i am now "old" enough to get to stay home and "try".
                it is nice about weaving that you can do two things at once

                since you are calling for intro's, i will make a quick response to margaret

                i too had a greatgrandmother who lived with different family members on
                a rotating basis. that was back
                in toledo ohio at end of WW2. i was about 7 and she taught me to
                crochet which i still do, and to knit
                but the "old" way not throwing your yarn. so, mostly i dont knit as
                patterns and friends who do "proper"
                knitting and i do not seem to communicate well. but, the real reason i
                am responding to margaret is to
                share the me-too about tatting. grandma tatted beautifully but i was
                too young or not coordinated enough
                to learn. i have always been sorry...

                nancy biggins, usually called "old nancy" but vernice has an aversion to
                me by my common name.
                p s, my weaving interest started very early in life as my father wove
                about the time i was born and
                again at the end of his life we shared. i have his loom here. it is in
                the garage where too cold this winter
                for finishing off his warp. i weave on other looms or cut rags to
                finish off his.

                On 3/19/2011 8:43 AM, Margaret wrote:
                > I am one of the helping hands and eyes (just don't ask for ears).
                >
                > Vernice has just written her annual message to let the larger weaving world know of this list's existence and we'll be getting new members.
                >
                > However, we are so quiet . . . almost too quiet. As I'm just a helper, it's difficult for me to generate a topic, but since when has not knowing what I'm doing stand in the way.
                >
                > How about everyone re-introduce themselves and talk a little bit about what they are working on?
                >
                > I'll go first. I'm Margaret (Marg with a hard "g") Coe. My grandmother was blind from cataracts at a time when surgery was at first not existent and later too old to undergo it. With a little sight, she crocheted, tatted, and knitted. When she had no sight, crochet was impossible, but she knitted almost to the end.
                >
                > My job, when I was about 9, was to count rows or stitches when she lost count! And from her I learned to crochet and knit, though tatting was always a challenge.
                >
                > In weaving I'm working on creating tutorials for designing a variety of different structures using Photoshop. The goal is to have the tutorials and samples done and published as a monograph before CW2012. I am also working as the CW2012 graphics and publicity chair.
                >
                > Back to it.
                >
                > Marg

                > -----
                > No virus found in this message.

                No virus found in this message.

              • Holly Shaltz
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 20, 2011
                  I was diagnosed with diabetes-related retinopathy
                  2 1/2 years ago, which after a few months of
                  improvement (I control my diabetes *very*
                  tightly), suddenly turned into diabetic macular
                  edema. I had a series of injections in the left
                  eye, culminating in a vitrectomy in May last year,
                  which has reversed the DME. Since then, several
                  injection in the right eye, which seems to have
                  done the trick as my acuity is slowly improving as
                  the edema shrinks.

                  Soon after the operation, but not caused by it, I
                  developed cranial nerve neuropathy in the right
                  eye, making me have double vision. It was quite
                  severe at first, keeping me from doing anything
                  without a patch over one eye. It improved fairly
                  rapidly, then after a couple months stabilized at
                  a level which isn't too bad - it's worse when I'm
                  tired or have been exercising or have to change
                  where I'm focusing frequently, but I can usually
                  read without closing an eye, and I can drive if
                  I'm not too tired. This hasn't changed in about 8
                  months, so looks like I'm stuck with for the
                  foreseeable future. Most cases totally go away in
                  6 months.

                  So, my eye issues aren't that bad - I have been
                  hampered more by my recovery from rotator cuff
                  surgery last July than by the eyes, in all
                  honesty. And looks like the other shoulder will
                  need work some time in the next couple years. So
                  I'm making the most of my weaving time right now,
                  winding warps and stashing them so there's no
                  delay between one and the next - I couldn't weave
                  for 6 full months last year, so that's all I want
                  to do now while I can! <g>

                  I have an 8-shaft Schacht floor loom, and I have
                  the use (storing it for a friend) of a 16-shaft
                  AVL (manual dobby) that I don't really like as the
                  dobby skips fairly often and my eyes aren't quite
                  up to seeing the mistakes in time to correct them.

                  On the Schacht I just took off a set of samples
                  for a datebook project our little guild's study
                  group is doing - 20/2 white mercerized cotton
                  (which went much easier than I expected) in huck
                  lace was my contribution - and I finished
                  yesterday my guild project for this year - the new
                  Michigan Tartan designed by Kati Meek that was
                  just approved by our legislature late last year.
                  I used cottolin for warp and weft, and wove a
                  table runner to be a gift, and a guest towel to
                  give my retinologist, not just for saving my sight
                  but because he's simply the nicest doctor I've
                  ever met. I *think* Kati is on this list? She's
                  coming to talk to our guild at our meeting on
                  March 30th.

                  All in all, my eye issues aren't slowing down my
                  weaving yet, and I plan to continue to control my
                  diabetes such that I will protect my eyes
                  carefully. Being on this list helps me remember
                  how well my eyes are doing, as well as reminding
                  me that, even if my control doesn't protect my
                  eyes forever, I will be able to continue weaving
                  far longer than I ever dreamed.

                  Holly in Michigan