Happy Holidays and Good Health

  • vmyers78
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 24, 2010
      This group has been very quiet lately. We are now two years old and have 22 members. I have some good and some not so goood news about myself. First, I had to finally sell my beloved AVL 16 shaft loom. But it did go to a good home and a local weaver. It was becoming just too stresssful for me to use at my young age of 86.. But I still have my 8 shaft Woolhouse and 4 shaft Leclerc table looms. I am now trying my hand at tapestry weaving on frame looms but have to use cotton yarns.
      As I have previously mentioned Wyoming does have great help for the visually impaired. In September I was accepted into a special Trust Grant program. In November I received a lot of new equipment, including 3 free hours of installation and instruction from a tech who had to come all the way from Colorado to help me. He was so patient with me. I received a 19" flat screen, new keyboard, a screen reader (where I can now read newspapers and magazines, etc.) and Zoom computer program. Did not need a new monitor as the one I have now had lots of space left on it. Also, some more lighting.I can even click on one little knob and each thing I type in talks to me by telling me what I am doing. I have not been able to find a spell check for items like I am doing on this e-mail.
      Now I am saving to buy a microphone and a web cam so I can take some of the classes offerfed through Weaveolution.
      It is a very quiet day today because I am alone (except for my cat "Molly" who very often jumps up and runs across my keyboard.) I no longer can read large print books but do receive from the State Library boooks on tape. They come and go right to my mail box. I have been an avid reader all my life and it is taking me awhile to get use to the book tapes.
      I love to play bridge. Have a bridge program on the computer. Also, I have three friends who come a couple times a month to play bridge with me.
      I still am getting the "lucentsis" shots in my eye but only once every two months now. As I am blind in the left eye they go just into the right eye which is about 20/200and has the wet macular degeneration.
      Would love to hear back from some of the members. Vernice Myers, Cody, Wyoming vwm@...
    • Kati Meek
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 24, 2010
        Dear Vernice,

        Thank you for your posting and information about your new technology that is helping.  It sounds super.  I am very happy for you.  Actually glad you found a new home for your source-of-frustration-AVL.  I think that is a good move.  I'm happy that you have your other looms and are doing some tapestry weaving.  My next study unit in the OHS Weavers Course is tapestry and I have been putting it off as I've always had trouble doing the fine, small-muscle work that tapestry needs, preferring the big-muscle dancing movements of shuttle throwing.  Of course there is plenty of fine, detail work getting the warp on, but I put on long warps and then reap my reward with lots of tromping and shuttle throwing.

        We have about 15 inches (38 cm) of snow on the ground and interesting ice formations on the bay.  Our daughter is due here in about an hour, then Vigil Mass, followed by Par-Tay. Yesterday, while my husband was in town, I wove a 60 inch scarf for him in three hours with minimal hourly breaks.  It is my first weaving of Michigan Tartan since it became official and it was the first hint I had of ANYTHING dh might like as a Christmas present.  I had to try, and to my amazement, I got it done 40 epi/ppi. If you haven't seen the Michigan Tartan, there are pictures on my blog.

        Wishing you and all on the list who will receive it,  a blessed Christmas and healthy new year.  Keep up the nudging the rest of us.  We need it.

        Treadle with Joy,

        Kati Reeder Meek
        Treehouse Handweaving Studio
        Reflections from A Flaxen Past: For Love of Lithuanian Weaving, Warp with a Trapeze and Dance with your Loom
        http://katimeek.blogspot.com