GFC-SMC

  • Rick A. Riedlinger
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10, 2005
      Dating and Attribution pt 1
      Sîntana de Mures/Cernjachov Culture
      The Goths in the Fourth Century
      By Peter Heather and John Matthews, 1991; ISBN 0853234264

      The identification of this widespread Culture has not been without
      controversy. Events of the twentieth century have made the spread of a
      possibly Germanic Culture across large areas of the Balkans and southern
      Russia at times a sensitive issue. In the past thirty years it has become
      clear that the so-called Sîntana de Mures/Cernjachov Culture can be
      associated with the spread of Gothic power in the period before Hunnic
      nomads forced the Goths into the Roman empire. The Culture dates from the
      later third and fourth centuries CE and from a wide variety of literary
      sources we know that Gothic power was dominant at this time north of the
      Danube frontier of the Roman empire. Ammianus Marcellinus also reports that
      a group of Alans bordering the Goths were known as the 'Tanaites' or 'Don
      People' (31.3.1), suggesting that Gothic power, like the Culture, extended
      no further east than this river. These chronological and geographical
      coincidences support the basic association of this material culture with the
      later third- and fourth century Gothic kingdoms. The extent to which the
      physical remains are those of the Goths themselves is a separate question.

      The principles by which the Sîntana de Mures/Cernjachov Culture has been
      dated are those established for central and northern European remains of the
      Late Roman and Early Migration Periods. All pose the same basic problem, in
      that few precise chronological indicators turn up among the remains. The
      only specifically datable objects are Roman coins and pottery in closed
      finds (i.e. burials), but with pottery, allowance must be made for a time
      lag between production and deposition. Coins are even more problematic;
      large numbers of Roman denarii, minted at any time between Nero and
      Septimius Severns, were circulating beyond the Roman frontier in the third
      century. Dating thus largely revolves around a number of widely found
      objects, most commonly weapons, fibulae (brooches), buckles, pottery, combs,
      glass, and personal ornaments. Each has a reasonably well-defined pattern of
      development, so that the appearance of later types can establish at least a
      relative chronology. The greater the number of objects showing later
      features in any one find of material, the more secure the chronology, and
      this kind of relative dating depends not so much on the features of single
      objects, but on associations. A delineated chronological phase would
      typically consist of the association (for instance) of particular weapons
      with certain forms of fibulae, buckles, pots, and combs.
    • Alfta
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 18, 2005
        explorator 8.11 Snapshot

        Editor's note: Most urls should be active for at least eight
        hours from the time of publication.

        For your computer's protection, Explorator is sent in plain text
        and NEVER has attachments. Be suspicious of any Explorator which
        arrives otherwise!!!

        Thanks to Arthur Shippee, Bill Kennedy, Adrian Murdoch,
        Anastasia Tsaliki, Chris Laning, Croman mac Nessa, Doc Rock,
        Francis Deblauwe, Donna Hurst, Hanan Charaf, Kate Brown, John
        McMahon, Mark Morgan, Mata Kimasitayo, Richard C. Griffiths,
        Rick Heli, Rochelle Altman, Stan Nadel, Sally Winchester, Mike
        Ruggeri, Tony Jackson, W. Richard Frahm, and Yonatan Nadelman
        for headses upses this week (as always hoping I have left no
        one out).

        ** IMPORTANT ** Explorator will likely be on hiatus for the
        next couple of weeks as we depart for the Wild West and I'm
        not sure what my internet access will be like (the 'roaming'
        has never worked as advertised). Keep sending stuff in ... we'll
        assemble a giant triple issue on our return with a brand new
        principle of organization which will hopefully make sense!

        AFRICA, EUROPE, AND ASIA

        Analysis of archaeological remains near Norfolk suggests it was
        a 'hub' of resistance against the Romans:
        http://tinyurl.com/8oedh (EDP24)

        Various and varying coverage of Time Team's Big Roman Dig:
        http://tinyurl.com/b64cb (Guardian)
        http://tinyurl.com/8ubwr (Guardian)
        http://tinyurl.com/b4a6d (Guardian)
        http://tinyurl.com/aj2dx (Guardian)
        http://tinyurl.com/8xcpv (icWales)

        ... see also:
        http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/B/bigromandig/index.jsp

        A possibly 10th/11th century Saxon 'rotunda' has been found
        in Herefordshire:
        http://tinyurl.com/c8j4y (BBC)

        A Scottish housing development may be intruding upon an 'ancient'
        Gaelic burial ground (I thought Gaelic was a language):
        http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=756782005

        EXHIBITIONS, AUCTIONS, AND MUSEUM-RELATED

        Mysterious Bog People:
        http://tinyurl.com/dh5w9 (AP via Yahoo)
        http://tinyurl.com/bdhs7 (Times Leader)

        REPEATS

        Kennewick Man Study Finally Begins:
        http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8498704/
        http://tinyurl.com/9dtcd (CNN)

        OTHER SOURCES OF ARCHAEOLOGICAL NEWS

        About.com Ancient History (blog):
        http://ancienthistory.about.com/

        About.com Archaeology (blog):
        http://archaeology.about.com/mbody.htm

        Archaeologica:
        http://www.archaeologica.org/NewsPage.htm

        Archaeology in Europe (blog):
        http://archaeology.eu.com/weblog/

        Archaeology Magazine's Newsbriefs:
        http://www.archaeology.org/magazine.php?page=0305/newsbriefs/index

        Bible and Interpretation Breaking News:
        http://www.bibleinterp.com/news.htm

        CBA Newsfeed:
        http://www.britarch.ac.uk/newsfeed/index.html

        CBA Archaeoblog:
        http://www.britarch.ac.uk/archaeoblog/

        Classics in Contemporary Culture (blog):
        http://www.people.memphis.edu/~mhooker/ccc.html
        <http://www.people.memphis.edu/%7Emhooker/ccc.html>

        Cronaca (blog):
        http://www.cronaca.com/

        Egyptology News (blog):
        http://www.egyptology.blogspot.com/

        Francis Deblauwe's 'Iraq War and Archaeology' site:
        http://iwa.univie.ac.at/

        Maritime Underwater Archaeological News:
        http://www.munarchaeology.com/munarchaeology/news/main.htm

        Megalithic Portal
        http://www.megalithic.co.uk

        Michael Ruggeri's Ancient America and Mesoamerica News:
        http://community-2.webtv.net/Topiltzin-2091/MIKERUGGERISANCIENT

        Mirabilis.ca (blog):
        http://www.mirabilis.ca

        Paleojudaica (blog):
        http://paleojudaica.blogspot.com

        Stone Pages Archaeo News:
        http://www.stonepages.com/news/

        Texas A&M Anthropology News Site:
        http://www.tamu.edu/anthropology/news.html

        EXPLORATOR is a weekly newsletter representing the fruits of
        the labours of 'media research division' of The Atrium. Various
        on-line news and magazine sources are scoured for news of the
        ancient world (broadly construed: practically anything relating
        to archaeology or history prior to about 1700 or so is fair
        game) and every Sunday they are delivered to your mailbox free of
        charge!

        Useful Addresses

        Past issues of Explorator are available on the web at Classics
        Central:

        http://s9.invisionfree.com/Classics_Central/

        To subscribe to Explorator, send a blank email message to:

        Explorator-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:Explorator-subscribe@yahoogroups.com>

        To unsubscribe, send a blank email message to:

        To send a 'heads up' to the editor or contact him for other
        reasons, reply to this message.

        Explorator is Copyright (c) 2005 David Meadows. Feel free to
        distribute these listings via email to your pals, students,
        teachers, etc., but please include this copyright notice. These
        links are not to be posted to any website by any means (whether
        by direct posting or snagging from a usenet group or some other
        email source) without my express written permission. I think it
        is only right that I be made aware of public fora which are
        making use of content gathered in Explorator. Thanks!