‘Vikings’ presents kinder, gentler side to ancient Norse warriors

  • Christopher Blackwell
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2013
      side to ancient Norse warriors
      Print Text: A A
      `Vikings' presents kinder, gentler side to ancient Norse warriors
      Cassandra Szklarski, The Canadian Press February 28, 2013 2:49 pm

      TORONTO – Cast aside notions of the barbaric, filthy Viking.

      "Camelot" scribe Michael Hirst is on a mission to rehabilitate that
      image with a scripted series that portrays the seafaring Scandinavian
      marauders as not only family-oriented, but rather civilized.

      "Culturally for us the Vikings are always the other — they're always
      the guys who break down your door in the night and rape and pillage
      and they're not normally seen as sympathetic or attractive people,"
      Hirst says in a recent phone interview from his home, just outside
      Oxford, England.

      "Two of the main things about that culture was, one: it was far more
      democratic than anything in the West — anything in England or France
      or Ireland. That they had public meetings, that they had pseudo-democratic institutions. And the other thing that really stood out was … that unlike
      in the West, women could divorce their husband, they fought with their men,
      they could rule. They could inherit property. And this was so far away from
      the sort of cliche of these raping, pillaging guys that I thought, `Well that's
      a way to start. That takes me into their world.'"

      http://www.news1130.com/2013/02/28/vikings-presents-kinder-gentler-side-to-ancient-norse-warriors/
    • Jordsvin
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2013
        http://tinyurl.com/b62wtqt