Oracular Seidhr / Spae in Hillsborough, NC

  • Dan Campbell
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2009
      Wassail!

      Idhavelli Hof's seidhr practitioners invite you to attend a Spae
      session (a.k.a oracular seidhr) in Hillsborough, NC on Saturday, Nov.
      14. Details are below; if you have any questions, please contact Dan
      at vidholf@....

      ATTENDANCE:- ...is free, but donations of any amount to UUCH and to
      Idhavelli Hof will be much appreciated.

      WHEN:- Saturday, November 14th. Gather at 7:30pm; Spae to start
      promptly at 8:00pm.

      WHERE:- Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Hillsborough (UUCH),
      in Hillsborough, NC. Directions are here:
      http://www.uuch-nc.org/directions.html

      WHAT:- Ask, and we shall answer. Oracular Seidhr / Spae is a ritual
      where our Seers/Seeresses seek answers in the interwoven strands of
      wyrd (fate). Much as was done with the Oracle at Delphi, you will be
      able to approach the Seer/Seeress and ask your question. Please come
      with a meaningful question or two that you'd like to have answered
      (but no lottery number questions, please ;-).

      ABOUT Seidhr & Spae:- Seidhr is an Old Norse word for witchcraft,
      including spell-songs (ON: galdr), herb use, rune magic, and spæ. Spæ
      is an oracular practice similar to what was done by the Oracle at
      Delphi in Greece, in which querants asked the seeress about their fate
      and how best to approach life's difficulties. Most accounts of spæ
      and seiðr are concerned with the seeress’s ability to know the deep
      past and to give voice to the fate of individuals. The clearest
      descriptions of spæ in the Icelandic sagas reveal only a little of how
      the seeresses performed spæ. Song is mentioned in several accounts as
      key to enabling the seeress to see what is hidden. A high seat or
      platform is also used in the rite, and helping spirits may or may not
      have been important, depending on how one interprets the sagas. We
      incorporate all of these in our own practice.

      ABOUT Idhavelli Hof:- Idhavelli Hof is a Heathen organization
      dedicated to establishing land and hof (temple) buildings consecrated
      to the Aesir & Vanir (the Germanic gods) in the Hillsborough, NC area.
      We believe that consecrated land is vital to the practice and
      continuation of our religion. Consecrated land held in common provides
      a dedicated place for worship, fellowship, and education. While we
      work towards this goal, we will provide educational programs and
      religious services for those who wish to worship the Aesir & Vanir in
      frithful fellowship and/or who are interested in Heathenry.

      dan campbell

      Idhavelli Hof
      http://www.idhavellihof.org
      --