Baby Metallica

  • Yngona Desmond
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2007
      Couple fights to name baby 'Metallica'

      STOCKHOLM, Sweden - Metallica may be a cool name for a heavy metal
      band, but a Swedish couple is struggling to convince officials it is
      also suitable for a baby girl.

      Michael and Karolina Tomaro are locked in a court battle with Swedish
      authorities, which rejected their application to name their six-month-
      old child after the legendary rock band.

      "It suits her," Karolina Tomaro, 27, said Tuesday of the name. "She's
      decisive and she knows what she wants."

      Although little Metallica has already been baptized, the Swedish
      National Tax Board refused to register the name, saying it was
      associated with both the rock group and the word "metal."

      Tomaro said the official handling the case also called the
      name "ugly."

      The couple was backed by the County Administrative Court in Goteborg,
      which ruled on March 13 that there was no reason to block the name.
      It also noted that there already is a woman in Sweden with Metallica
      as a middle name.

      The tax agency appealed to a higher court, frustrating the family's
      foreign travel plans.

      "We've had to cancel trips and can't get anywhere because we can't
      get her a passport without an approved name," Tomaro said.

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070403/ap_on_fe_st/baby_metallica
    • J Blain
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2007
        Dear all,
        For anybody in the UK - or who might be here in May -

        Association of Polytheist Traditions conference 2007
        Manchester Museum 26 May 2007

        The 'Reburial Issue' - in Britain and elsewhere. From Lindow Man to
        the Ice Princess...
        Thornborough Henges - update on quarrying issues at this threatened
        Sacred Site...
        and the 'What are Gods anyhow?' debate - with Wights, do we 'need'
        Gods - and is there a difference?

        Registration £5 non-members, £2.50 for members. Registration form is
        online at http://www.manygods.org.uk/ , or email me.

        Jenny

        --
        jenny@... jenny.blain@...
        http://www.sacredsites.org.uk
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
          It surprises me that the Swedish government would concern itself with telling people what an appropriate name for their child is. It's ultimately no one's business but their own, and telling Scandinavians what they can and cannot do doesn't seem particularly intelligent...

          Yngona Desmond <yngona@...> wrote: Couple fights to name baby 'Metallica'

[...]

          Peace and blessings . . . Shannon

          "The mind alone knows what is near the heart . . . each is his own judge." - The Havamal

        • Gary Penzler
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
            In Iceland, not only do they accept or reject names, they have a
            published list of acceptable names. Even a foreign couple living
            in Iceland may not legally name a child something not on the
            list. I kid you not. There was a story or blog entry or
            something about it a couple of months ago on IcelandReview.com.

            ~Gary

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Shannon
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
              That's hideous. What a shame. And so completely antithetical to what it means to live in the country that was the last hold-out against conversion and religious tyranny. Pretty ironic.

              http://mail.yahoo.com

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
                The reasons for *not* naming a child 'Metallica' are far
                from "hideous". They are cultural.

                Some Euro-countries have strict name regulations. Which sounds bad to
                Vinlandic ears, but in fact there are thousands of names to choose
                from. The gov reasoning is 'to maintain culture' .. which I can totally
                support.

                Personally, I think 'Metallica' sounds way-cool; but, to a
                traditionally and culturally minded country, its not. Which is why I
                can get behind the gov on this - 'cause I understand the
                reasoning. Its sorta like here in the States when folk try to change
                their name to a series of numbers or .. there was a case several years
                back where a guy wanted to change his name to "Trout Fishing in
                America". The judge declined his request, so I think he settled
                on "Trout".

                ... Yngona
              • Tina LeBouthillier
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
                  Actually Iceland wasn't the last hold-out against conversion in
                  Europe. That was Lithuania in the late 1300's. I believe their king
                  converted because of his marriage. There is a pretty strong pagan
                  group there still:
                  http://www.geocities.com/athens/oracle/2810/romuvawhatis.html

                  A book called "The Northern Crusades" by Eric Christiansen covers the
                  Baltic conversion.

                  There is aso a book about Iceland's conversion called "Under the
                  Cloak: A Pagan Ritual Turning Point in the Conversion of Iceland",
                  1999, by Jon Hnefill Aalsteinsson. I don't have it so I can't comment
                  on it, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has read it.

                  Frith, Tina

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
                    Below is the description of the book...unfortunately,
                    it has not been reviewed on Amazon. Both used and new
                    copies start at $25. (I did not check sources beyond
                    Amazon.)

                    "First published in 1979, 'Under the Cloak' put forth
                    radical new arguments for the legal, and peaceable,
                    acceptance of Christianity in Iceland in the year
                    999/1000. The present edition has been revised and
                    significantly expanded by the author, containing new
                    arguments and information about the events that took
                    place on that momentous occasion, together with a
                    discussion of the works of some other scholars on this
                    subject."

                    --- Tina LeBouthillier <apendragn@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Actually Iceland wasn't the last hold-out against
                    > conversion in
                    > Europe. That was Lithuania in the late 1300's. I
                    > believe their king
                    > converted because of his marriage. There is a pretty
                    > strong pagan
                    > group there still:

                    http://www.geocities.com/athens/oracle/2810/romuvawhatis.html

                    > A book called "The Northern Crusades" by Eric
                    > Christiansen covers the
                    > Baltic conversion.
                    >
                    > There is aso a book about Iceland's conversion
                    > called "Under the
                    > Cloak: A Pagan Ritual Turning Point in the
                    > Conversion of Iceland",
                    > 1999, by Jon Hnefill Aalsteinsson. I don't have it
                    > so I can't comment
                    > on it, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who
                    > has read it.
                    >
                    > Frith, Tina

                    http://www.geocities.com/athens/oracle/2810/romuvawhatis.html
                    > --- In HeathenNews@yahoogroups.com, Shannon
                    > <oldfaithwoman@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > That's hideous. What a shame. And so completely
                    > antithetical to
                    > what it means to live in the country that was the
                    > last hold-out
                    > against conversion and religious tyranny. Pretty
                    > ironic.

                    Be a PS3 game guru.
                  • Erica
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 5, 2007
                      --- In HeathenNews@yahoogroups.com, "Tina LeBouthillier"
                      <apendragn@...> wrote:

                      > Actually Iceland wasn't the last hold-out against conversion in
                      > Europe. That was Lithuania in the late 1300's. I believe their king
                      > converted because of his marriage.

                      Yes, it was to Jadwiga, the Queen of Poland. There is a good book about
                      this period if anyone is interested: The Teutonic Knights by Henryk
                      Sienkiewicz:

                      http://www.amazon.com/Teutonic-Knights-Henryk-Sienkiewicz/dp/0781804337

                      Pro-Catholic, pro-Polish and anti-German (at least anti-the German
                      Catholic knights), but I enjoyed very much anyway. :)