Heathen Cakes (14th century)

  • Kerry
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 3, 2003
      Heidenische kucken (Heathen cakes)
      Original:
      Diz heizzent heidenische kuchen. Man sol nemen einen teye und sol (den) dnne
      breiten und nim ein gesoten fleisch und spec gehacket und epfele und pfeffer
      und eyer dar in und backe daz und gives hin und versirtez niht.
      Translation:
      These are called heathen cakes. One should take a dough and should spread it
      thin and take a boiled meat and chopped fatty bacon and apples and pepper
      and eggs therein and bake that and give out and do not damage.
      My Redaction:
      Pastry crust bottom
      1 1/2 lb. beef
      1/4 lb. side pork/fresh bacon
      1 apple
      1/2 tsp grated peppercorns
      2 eggs
      Line pie tin with pastry dough. Roast beef for 1 hour. Cook bacon at the
      same time. Slice into small goblets. Chop cooked bacon. Mix bacon and beef
      together, then layer into bottom of pie tin. Sprinkle pepper over the meat.
      Slice an apple and layer onto the meat. Beat two eggs then pour over
      everything. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes, or until it appears
      done. Serve warm. Makes 1 pie.

      Kerry
      Argue not with dragons, for thou art crunchy and go well with brie

      No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large

    • Alaric
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 3, 2003
        This recipe sounds delicious, Kerry. Do you have the source for it?

        Alaric

        Pagans are all who say Yes to Life, to whom 'God' is the word for the great Yes to all things.
        - Nietzsche

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Kerry
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 3, 2003
          This is where I got it:
          http://www.kateryndedevelyn.org/german1.htm
          14th Century German Feast

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 3, 2003
            Thanks!

            Pagans are all who say Yes to Life, to whom 'God' is the word for the great Yes to all things.
            - Nietzsche

            Argue not with dragons, for thou art crunchy and go well with brie

            No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Ron Branga
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 3, 2003

              > This is where I got it:
              > http://www.kateryndedevelyn.org/german1.htm
              > 14th Century German Feast
              >
              > Kerry

              This is pretty cool Kerry. Thanks:-)
              Have you tried it yet?

              frith
              Ron Branga
              Eþelæceres/Othala Acres
              http://www.othalaacres.com
              http://homesteading.othalaacres.com
              http://library.othalaacres.com
            • Kerry
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 3, 2003
                > Have you tried it yet?<

                No, I haven't. I just found it today, so maybe sometime this week I will!

                Kerry
                Argue not with dragons, for thou art crunchy and go well with brie

                No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large

              • R T GRELS
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 4, 2003
                  Hello Kerry,
                  It probably tastes great but as a student of Norse Germanic history I seriously question whether these recipes are of Norse-Germanic origin. All of the descriptions sound much more like ancient Celtic societies. Are you sure the countries and people didn't get mixed up? Ullfr thorr

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 4, 2003
                    > It probably tastes great but as a student of Norse Germanic history I
                    seriously question whether these recipes are of Norse-Germanic origin. All
                    of the descriptions sound much more like ancient Celtic societies. Are you
                    sure the countries and people didn't get mixed up?<

                    It was from a medieval site - usually pretty accurate, but not necessarily.
                    Do you know a better site for recipes from the Norse? I admit to having
                    some difficulty in that area.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 5, 2003
                      Pork, Beef, apples, eggs, dough and pepercorn. What makes you feel that is
                      a Celtic Recipe as opposed to a Germanic one? I am only talking about this
                      one specifically as I didn;t read the other recipes on the site.

                      Ron

                      > Hello Kerry,
                      >            It probably
                      > tastes great but as a student of Norse Germanic history I seriously
                      > question whether these recipes are of Norse-Germanic origin. All of the
                      > descriptions sound much more like ancient Celtic societies. Are you sure
                      > the countries and people didn't get mixed up?   Ullfr thorr

                    • Emily Yelton
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 5, 2003
                        It is my understanding that the Norse people were a trading (raiding) people and that many different cultures influenced theirs. Why could this not be a "Norse" recipe just because it may have a Celtic flavor?

                        My homemade roast beast in a crockpot has a very European flavor, but it is all American. :) And if I were to sit you down to eat at my table, I doubt you would be able to tell my baked potatoes from the french ones I have had at other resteraunts. LOL!!!

                        Emily Y.
                        faun2@...
                        http://www.craft-info.com

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 5, 2003
                          > My homemade roast beast in a crockpot has a very European flavor<

                          So, are you going to share this recipe, or leave us all curious (and
                          hungry!)? LOL!

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 16, 2003
                            Hello Ron,
                            Sorry I didn't reply sooner. From all of my studies, I have only seen peppercorn referred to in the celtic-gaelic cultures. Absolutely no references that I know of in norse germanic cultures. ullfr