Haworthia cultivar name

  • H.Mays
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 8, 2009
      I am trying to trace where the cultivar Haworthia splendens 'Bob's Red' was
      originally published. I wonder if anyone could help please?

      Many thanks.

      Harry Mays
      Editor, Alsterworthia International.
      Coordinator, Cultivar Project
      World Agent, Haworthia Study
      Woodsleigh, Moss Lane
      St Michaels on Wyre
      Preston, PR3 0TY
      UK
      email. hmays@...
    • jgmplants@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2009
        In Haworthia Study Journals in Japan. Bob gave a piece of this plant to Nishi, who later on circulated the plant in Japan as 'Bob's Red'.

        John Matthews, The Haworthia Guy

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 9, 2009
          Thanks for the information.

          A photo of 'Bob's Red' was published in Haworthia Study 11:4 with the name H. 'Picidens' -B. This seems to be a nursery name not an established cultivar name.Other very similar plant was named H 'Picidens' - A & C

          Another photo of Bob's Red' was published in Haworthia Study 17:6 as one of the illustrations for a general article dealing with the variation of H. splendens. It was in both Japanese and English. If the English is a correct translation of the Japanese the cultivar will not be established because the ICNCP requires that there should be a description which will distinguish it from all other Haworthia cultivars.Bob's Red is just mentioned as being one of a number of red plants with shiny & silvery flecks. We need an exact translation of the Japanese for a final decision.

          'Bob's Red' is also listed in the table of cultivars in Haworthia Study 20:6 but with no additional details.

          I was hoping that Bob's Red might have been correctly published and established in the USA but so far there is no evidence of this.