Family of John Edward Hart

  • Monty Hart
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2002
      Greetings Cousins and Friends-

      Hope you are all happy and well.

      Our Alice Smith has forwarded the following message to me from John
      Edward Hart, Jr. John is looking for any information on his ancestry.
      Alice thinks he might be related to our Edward Hart line. If anyone
      thinks they recognize his father or grandfather, please let me know and
      I'll get you in touch.

      Thanks,

      Cousin Monty
      montyh@...
      ________________________

      I really do not have much to go on other than family lore. I have no
      other family on the Hart side left, except for my own wife and children
      so I
      have no one to ask the right questions.
      It had always been taken as fact in my father's family that we were
      descended from the John Hart that signed the Declaration of
      Independence.
      My father's name was John Edward Hart, being born in the Bronx, New
      York in
      1898 and died in 1975. My grandfather was Edward Hart born in New York
      City
      in 1874 and died in about 1943 in Scarsdale, NY. He was an employee of
      Wells Fargo, later American Express Company. I have no knowledge of my
      great grandfathers name who was probably born in the 1850's, and the
      only
      thing that I recall about him was that he had to hide out for his life
      after
      he filed a suit in a New Jersey court to regain land that was
      confiscated
      at some point from the family many years prior. Either he, his father,
      or
      perhaps grandfather once owned Hart Island which is in Long Island Sound

      very close to Manhattan below the Bronx. It is now owned by the City of
      New
      York and used for a prison and potter's field. One of them lost this
      island
      in a supposedly crooked poker game in NYC according to family legend.
      I know that this is not much to go on but all I have is my
      recollection
      of these family stories. Thank you for any help that you can give.
      Regards - John Edward Hart Jr. (b. 1931)