Early New England HART

  • Pat & Orren Gilbert
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2002
      Hi All-
      I found this on a new database on Ancestry.com. Though many of these HART's are a different line than our Edward, I thought you would find of interest. There are more which I will send separately. Have fun reading!
      Pat Gilbert

      Database: Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England, 1620-33
      Combined Matches: 14
      Next Hits

      The Great Migration Begins
      Sketches
      PRESERVED PURITAN

      RICHARD BULGAR

      ORIGIN:
      Unknown
      MIGRATION: 1630
      FIRST RESIDENCE: Boston
      REMOVES: Roxbury by 1637, Exeter 1639, Dover 1640, Exeter 1641, Boston by 1646, Portsmouth RI 1650
      OCCUPATION: Bricklayer. (In William Pynchon's 1632 accounts as treasurer of Massachusetts Bay Colony is the following disbursement: "paid Richard Bulgar for work at the fort, £2/0/0" [ MHSC 2:8:232].) On 5 June 1654 the town of Portsmouth issued to Richard Bulgar a license to sell beer, victuals and liquors [ PoTR 63].
      CHURCH MEMBERSHIP: "Richard Bulgar bricklayer" admitted to Boston church 13 April 1634 [ BChR 17]. In 6 January 1638/9 list of those dismissed "unto the Church of Christ at the Falls of Paschataqua [Exeter] if they be rightly gathered and ordered" [BChR 23].
      FREEMAN: 18 May 1631 [ MBCR 1:366]. Rhode Island, 12 September 1654 [ RICR 1:282].
      EDUCATION: No record of education, but sufficient to be town clerk of Portsmouth and General Solicitor for Rhode Island.
      OFFICES: On 30 March 1641 "the freemen of Exeter have made choice of Mr. Richard Bullgar to be lieutenant of the band of soldiers in Exeter" [ NHPP 1:142], but on 11 June 1644 he was temporarily demoted to sergeant [MBCR 3:8]. Exeter selectman, 8 April 1644 [ Exeter Hist 47].
         General Solicitor for Rhode Island, 20 May 1656, 22 May 1662, 22 May 1663 [RICR 1:336, 467, 504]. Commissioner for Warwick to Rhode Island court, 10 October 1656 [RICR 1:345]. Placed second in the voting for General Sergeant of Rhode Island, 22 May 1660 [RICR 1:427].
         Portsmouth assessor, 19 February 1650/1 [PoTR 48]; auditor, 3 June 1656 [PoTR 72]; surveyor of cattle, 11 August 1656 [PoTR 73]; elected town sergeant 4 October 1656, and then at the June general meeting each year from 1657 through 1659 [PoTR 73, 76, 85, 89]; appointed substitute town clerk at meeting of 15 September 1659, and then elected at the June general meeting each year from 1660 through 1669 (although the record of the 1664 meeting is missing) [PoTR 90, 93, 105, 111, 118, 129, 133, 137, 142]; recorder of land evidences, 9 July 1660; committee to adjudicate disputes on land recording, 9 July 1660, 5 June 1665 [PoTR 95, 129]; coroner's jury, 3 June 1661 [PoTR 107].
      ESTATE: On 8 January 1637/8, in accord with Boston town order of 14 December 1635, granted twenty acres at Muddy River [ BTR 1:24].
         "Goodman Bulgar" was granted four acres and twenty poles in a division of upland in Exeter in 1639 [Exeter Hist 436].
         On 5 January 1656[/7] William Almy of Portsmouth sold to Richard Bulgar of Portsmouth eight acres of land "within the common fence" which had been granted to Almy [PoTR 342-43]. On 16 December 1659 Richard Bulgar of Portsmouth sold to Richard Harte of Portsmouth three acres "in the southeast neck of the place called the common fence ... and is in the land of the aforesaid Richard Bulgar, which was by Mr. William Almy and the freemen of the said town of Portsmouth freely given and granted unto the aforesaid Richard Bulgar" [PoTR 374-75].
         On 12 October 1664 the town of Portsmouth granted to Richard Bulgar "a parcel of upland laid out to him in the common fence in lieu of a parcel of marsh ground he hath exchanged with the town" [PoTR 126].
         On 29 July 1674 William Hall laid out to Joseph Anthony two acres "out of the land of Richard Bulgar" in two parcels, one acre on Rocky Hill and one acre on the Great Cove [ RILE 1:116].
      BIRTH: By about 1610 based on date of freemanship and estimated date of marriage. (Savage and Austin state that "he was 71 years old in 1679," but the document containing this statement has not been found.)
      DEATH: After 25 March 1684 [ RICT 3:124]. (Moriarty says that Bulgar was "dead before 29 5mo. 1687" [ TAG 20:181], but does not cite the document from which this inference is drawn.)
      MARRIAGE: By 1634 Lettice Underhill, daughter of John and Leonora (Pawley) Underhill [see JOHN UNDERHILL]. She died at Portsmouth on or shortly after 21 March 1672/3, and certainly before 12 May 1673 (at Newport Court on 12 May 1673 "an Indian by the English called John by the Indians punneane" was indicted "for that the said Indian on the twenty-one day of March last past came to the dwelling house of Mr. Richard Bulgar in Portsmouth, and there committed a rape on the body of Lettice wife of the said Bulgar upon which issued death to the said Lettice"; John alias punneane was convicted and hanged [RICT 3:24]).
      CHILD:
         i   JOHN, bp. Boston 20 April 1634 [BChR 279]; no further record.
      ASSOCIATIONS: By his marriage he became stepson-in-law of RICHARD MORRIS and brother-in-law of JOHN UNDERHILL.
      COMMENTS: Until his arrival in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, Richard Bulgar's residences and removes are known more by implication than by direct evidence. He was an early member of Boston church, but we learn only from colony records that he resided in Roxbury by 1637; he did not join the Roxbury church. Boston church records then tell us of his move to Exeter, after which he was at Dover for a few years, and then we learn of his return to Boston from a letter of attorney rather than from a Boston town record.
         Richard Bulgar was one of five Roxbury men disarmed for their support of Wheelwright and Hutchinson, 20 November 1637 [MBCR 1:212]. On 5 June 1639 "Richard Bullgar" signed the Exeter Combination [ NHPR 1:133].
         Richard Bulgar was of Dover on 1 August 1640 when he was a participant in a complicated business deal, during which his credit was rejected and his place in the deal was taken by Captain Richard Morris [his stepfather-in-law] [ Lechford 282-83]. Richard Bulgar was involved in a number of civil suits in Dover and Piscataqua Court in 1640, 1641 and 1642 [NHPR 40:3-6, 8].
         On 9 June 1646 Henry Walton made a power of attorney to "Richard Bulger of Boston" to receive a debt due from John Smith of Saco [ Aspinwall 21].
         On 29 April 1650 "Richard Bulgar is received an inhabitant into this town [Portsmouth RI]" [PoTR 44, 45].
         At Newport court on 7 September 1680 Richard Bulgar sued Thomas Dorfie but was told by the court that "the writ shall abate - because the trespass was committed in Plymouth Colony"; at the same court on 25 March 1684 Dorfie successfully sued Bulgar [RICT 3:98, 124].

      Click to view full context

      The Great Migration Begins
      Sketches
      PRESERVED PURITAN

      THOMAS COLDHAM

      ORIGIN: Unknown
      MIGRATION: 1633
      FIRST RESIDENCE: Lynn
      OCCUPATION: Miller. (In a deposition made in November 1662 or shortly before, in the matter of the windmill which had been on John Humphreys's farm, Thomas Coldham stated that "he himself was a miller, both here and in old England, and knew what belonged to a mill" [ EQC 3:11].)
      CHURCH MEMBERSHIP: Admission to Lynn church prior to 14 May 1634 implied by freemanship.
      FREEMAN: 14 May 1634 [ MBCR 1:369].
      EDUCATION: Signed his will by mark.
      OFFICES: Essex jury, 27 September 1636, 28 March 1637 [EQC 1:3, 5]; Essex grand jury, 27 December 1642, 30 December 1645, 25 December 1649, 25 June 1650, 30 November 1652, 28 June 1653, 28 November 1654, 26 June 1655 [EQC 1:44, 89, 180, 191, 270, 283, 372, 390]; Essex petit jury, 31 December 1644 [EQC 1:74]; coroner's jury, 13 April 1665, 28 October 1665 and late 1669 [EQC 3:282, 297, 4:211]. Constable for Lynn, 1 July 1646 [EQC 1:96].
         On 28 December 1647 "Thomas Coldam of Lin was discharged from training, paying 5s. per year to the company" [EQC 1:130].
      ESTATE: "Tho. Coldrum" received sixty acres in the 1638 Lynn land division [EQC 2:271].
         In his will, dated 14 March 1674/5 and proved 21 May 1675, "Thomas Couldum of Lynn ... aged about eighty-six years" bequeathed to "my wife Joannah Couldum all my planting ground in the township of Linn aforesaid containing in estimation about twenty-four acres (viz) twelve acres of it, in estimation being my houselot ... & the rest of it, with mowing ground adjoining to it, being called by the name of Turkye Field the whole containing in estimation fourteen acres & an half ... and also the use of all my housing, and also all my meadow ground (viz) five acres of salt marsh ground lying in Rumney Marsh ... also two acres of salt marsh lying in Rumney Marsh ... & two acres of salt marsh lying in the marsh before the town ... during her natural life, not crossing a covenant or agreement made betwixt myself, & my grandchild Samuell Simonds, touching my considering, or allowing him, for his managing my affairs"; to "my wife Joannah" half the livestock and all of the moveables; to "my son Clement Couldum ... one half of all my lands, housing & meadow as his own proper right," with certain moveables after "my wife's decease"; to "my grandchild Sam[ue]ll Simonds," in accordance with a previous agreement hereby confirmed, "one half of all my housing, lands, meadows & marsh ground & half the orchard ... (viz) after my own & wife's decease"; "my loving wife & my loving brother & friend Mr. Henrye Rhodes" executors; "my loving friend Andrew Mansfield & John Newhall Senior" overseers; witnessed by "Samuell Rodes" & "Joseph Rhodes" [ EPR 3:10-12]
         The inventory of "the estate of Thomas Couldum of Lynn, who died April 8, 1675," totalled £313 19s. 6d., of which £202 10s. was real estate: "housing," £27 10s.; and "upland & meadow ground," £175 [EPR 3:12].
         On 20 September 1675 "Johannah Coldum of Linn, widow of Thomas Coldum of same, lately deceased," made an agreement with "Clement Coldum of Gloster son-in-law unto the said Johanah Coldum" whereby the said Clement would perform certain services for Joanna, in return for the "other half" of the "whole accommodation consisting of house, lands & orchard & being in the township of Lynn aforesaid, which her husband Thomas Coldum died in the possession of he also having given unto the said Clement Coldrum he being his natural son one half of his whole accommodation of house, lands & meadow ground of all sorts as may appear more at large as in his last will"; Clement is also to give "my daughter Mary Simonds" a good cow or the value of it, and to "Sarah Hait" £5 [ ELR 5:58]. On 2 August 1682 Joanna Coldham freed "son-in-law Clement Coldham" from giving the cow to "Mary Symons" and the £5 to "Sarah Hart" [ELR 7:17].
      BIRTH: About 1602 based on deposition of about November 1662 in which he claims to be "aged about sixty years" [EQC 3:11]. (In his will on 14 March 1674/5 Thomas Coldham gave his age as eighty-six, which would place his year of birth at about 1589, an exaggeration of a decade or more.)
      DEATH: Lynn 8 April 1675 (from probate inventory).
      MARRIAGE: (1) By about 1625 _____ _____; died by 1646 (and probably earlier).
         (2) By 1646 Joanna _____ (witness against wife of Thomas Coats in presentment to July 1646 Salem court [EQC 1:99]); she was buried at Lynn 16 June 1687.
      CHILDREN:
         i   CLEMENT, b. about 1625 (deposed 30 September 1662 "aged about thirty-seven years" [EQC 3:10]); m. by about 1647 Mary Pierce (daughter married 15 October 1663; in her will of 5 March 1666/7 Elizabeth Pierce, widow of John Pierce of Watertown, made a bequest to "daughter Mary Coldam" [ MPR Case #17450]).

         ii   MARTHA, b. say 1631; m. Watertown 19 March 1650 Richard Whitney [ WaVR 15].

         iii   (poss.) ENOCH, who appears on four occasions in Essex court records in 1652, 1653 and 1654 (of which three involved charges against the wife of Christopher Collins of Lynn) [EQC 1:274, 276, 285, 348], and in no other New England records.

         iv   MARY, b. say 1634; m. by 1654 _____ Symonds. On 28 March 1676 administration on the estate of "Samuell Simons, intestate," was granted to "Clement Coldom," who brought in an inventory, totalling £16 6s. 6d., on the estate of "Samuell Simons, grandchild of Tho. Couldum of Lynn, who died in the beginning of August 1675" [EPR 3:50].

         v   THOMAS, b. about 1638 (deposed 25 March 1663 "aged about twenty-five years" [EQC 3:26]); d. Lynn between 10 March 1672[/3?] (date of will) and 24 June 1673 (inventory presented in court), apparently unmarried. In his will, dated 10 March 1672 and proved 26 June 1673, "Thomas Colddum" of Lynn bequeathed to "my cousin Sara Horte" money and household goods; to "my sister's Whitnise children all my wearing clothes"; to "my sister Whitny" livestock and a debt due to him; to "my loving mother" cloth and a hat, and additional clothing to "my sister Whitny & ... my cousin Sara Hort"; to "my honored father two barrels of cider with all my debts that are due unto me"; and to "my cousin Sarah Harte" another debt due [EPR 2:357]. The inventory of the estate, undated but sworn in court 24 June 1673, totalled £32 17s., and was arranged "in the several parts according as it was willed by him to his sister Martha Witney & her children," to "her children," to "Sarah Hart," to "his father Thomas Coldum," and to "his mother Johana Coldum" [EPR 2:357-58].

      ASSOCIATIONS: The wills of Thomas Coldham Sr. and Thomas Coldham Jr. state kinship relations which have not yet been explained, but which should eventually lead to more knowledge of this family. Thomas Sr. names brother Henry Rhodes as co-executor, and the two witnesses are Samuel Rhodes and Joseph Rhodes. Thomas Jr. makes bequests to "cousin Sarah Hart," who has not been identified.
         Two of the children of the immigrant, Clement and Martha, found their spouses in Watertown, at a time when there were relatively few connections between Lynn and Watertown.
      COMMENTS: Alonzo Lewis in 1844 created an extra Clement Coldham, brother of Thomas the immigrant and father of the Clement who was actually son of Thomas [ Lynn Hist 119]. Savage followed Lewis in this error, but apparently had an inkling that something was amiss when he wrote "I know no more but that he had Clement, and probably others," indicating that he had not found any record evidence for this elder Clement. This error was sorted out (along with a number of lesser problems with the family) by James G. Dempsey in 1971 ("Thomas Coldham of Lynn," NEHGR 125:24-28).
         Thomas Coldham was in court on a number of occasions as plaintiff or defendant in civil suits: 24 September 1639, 25 June 1650 [EQC 1:12, 192].
         The nearly complete disjunction between the legatees named in the wills of Thomas Coldham Sr. and Thomas Coldham Jr. is worthy of note. Both name Joanna Coldham (as wife in the one case and mother in the other), and Thomas Jr. makes a bequest to Thomas Sr., so we know that Thomas Jr. was indeed son of Thomas Sr. But Thomas Sr. names as descendants only son Clement Coldham and grandson Samuel Simonds, whereas Thomas Jr., in addition to his parents, names only sister Whitney and cousin Sarah Hart. This might be interpreted to mean that Clement (who was clearly older than Thomas by more than a decade) and the mother of Samuel Simonds were children of the immigrant by a first wife, and that Thomas and Martha were children by a second wife, a hypothesis which would require us to place Mary between Clement and Martha in the list of children. But Joanna Coldham explicitly calls Mary Simonds her daughter, so the sequence of the children as given above is probably correct. If the children of Clement Coldham were not all by one wife, then the likely division would be that Clement and Martha were by the first wife and Mary and Thomas by the second. If this is the case, then we might suspect that the first wife had a connection with some Watertown family, given the spouses chosen by Clement and Martha, and that the connection to "cousin Sarah Hart" would be through Joanna, the second wife, since only she and her presumed son Thomas Coldham name this person.
         A John Coldham of Gloucester was admitted freeman of Massachusetts Bay Colony on 19 October 1664 [MBCR 4:2:134], but there is no evidence that he was part of this family.

      Click to view full context

      The Great Migration Begins
      Sketches
      PRESERVED PURITAN

      EDMUND HART

      ORIGIN: Unknown
      MIGRATION: 1632
      FIRST RESIDENCE: Dorchester
      REMOVES: Weymouth 1636, Westfield 1664
      CHURCH MEMBERSHIP: Admission to Dorchester church prior to 14 May 1634 implied by freemanship.
      FREEMAN: 14 May 1634 (as "Edmond Harte," eighth in a sequence of ten Dorchester men) [ MBCR 1:369].
      EDUCATION: He made his elaborate mark to a deed in 1666 [ SLR 5:82].
      ESTATE: Granted sixteen acre Great Lot at Dorchester, 16 January 1632/3 [ DTR 1]; "John Phillips shall have for Edward Hart three-quarters of an acre meadow at Squantum Neck," 1 February 1635/6 [DTR 15]; received Lot #53, four acres, in the meadows beyond Naponset [DTR 321].
         Granted eighteen acre Great Lot in Weymouth, 1636 [ Weymouth Hist 199]; granted Lot #49, seven acres, in the first division, and Lot #19, twenty-one acres, in the second division, 14 December 1663 [Weymouth Hist 200-01].
         In the Weymouth land inventory of about 1643 "Edmond Hart" held three parcels of land: eleven acres in the East Field, "first granted to him"; three acres in Kingoke Hill, "first granted to Aingell Hollard"; and eighteen acres among the Great Lots [Weymouth Hist 188].
         On 5 September 1664 "Edmond Hart of Weimouth" sold to James Nash Senior of the same "my dwelling house & lot adjacent thereunto being twenty acres more or less ... land first granted to Edward Sarell alienated from him to Timothy Wales from him to Stephen French & now in the possession of me Edmond Hart," also "my two divisions of commons," also "all my right title & interest in the town" [SLR 5:82].
         On 17 October 1664 "Edmund Hart lately of Waymouth, planter," purchased of Praisever Turner of Northampton, miller, one-half of two parcels which Turner had purchased of Edward Griswold of Windsor, at Worronoco, "being seven or eight miles ... from Springfield": one-half of twenty-five acres of meadow, and one-half of twenty-five acres of upland meadow (the other half of each lot being sold to Cornelius Merrey) [ HamLR A:58].
         30 September 1672: "Edmund Hart of Westfield dying suddenly this sennight past inquiry was made by a jury of 12 men concerning his death who found it to be by the immediate hand of God in thunder & lightning as they conceive; their verdict is on file. And the said Edmund Hart dying intestate the inventory of his estate was presented to this Court and power of administration upon is granted to George Phelps which he accepted of. Also Elisha Hart son of Edm[un]d Hart being weak to manage his own matters chose his uncle the said Geo[rge] Phelps for his guardian whom the court approved of for that end" [ HamPR 1:147].
         The inventory of the estate of "Edmund Hart late of Westfield deceased" was signed 25 July 1673 and totalled £68 16s. 6d. including real estate valued at £96 1s.: "eleven acres of meadow £55"; "twenty acres of land in the woods £40"; "a homelot Fortside four acres land not taken up £1 1s." There was a debt due to Aaron Cooke from "Edmund Hart ... his son-in-law John Scone can testify to it." "There is also a cow John Scone hath not inventoried which is said to be given to Scone's wife: Also Edward Neale hath one acre of land: Also John Greet hath one acre of land not inventoried" [HamPR 1:148].
         On 31 March 1674 the court further ordered that the distribution of the estate of Edmund Hart of Westfield be "that Elisha Hart (for that he is very weak for abilities of his mind ... being crazy in his body) shall have £15 of the said estate"; "Edm: Hart's daughters shall have the rest of the estate in equal portion: and if any of the daughters shall die before distribution of the estate be made such portion shall go to the children of such daughters if they have any; and Elisha Hart having at the last court at Springfield chosen his Uncle George Phelps for his guardian whom that court allowed of, this court declares that no person shall trade or bargain with said Elisha without consent of his said guardian" [HamPR 1:154].
      BIRTH: By about 1610 based on receipt of land grant early in 1633.
      DEATH: Westfield about 23 September 1672, "by the immediate hand of God in thunder and lightning" [HamPR 1:147].
      MARRIAGE: By about 1638 _____ _____; she died Weymouth 20 August 1659.
      CHILDREN:
         i   ELIZABETH, b. say 1638; m. Weymouth 26 June 1661 John Moor.

         ii   MARTHA, b. Weymouth 12 October 1640 (record says "Mathew son of Edmund," but there is no other record for a Mathew, and Martha must have been born about this time); m. Weymouth 24 January 1662[/3] Edward Neale.

         iii   Daughter, b. say 1642; implied by estate of Elisha Hart.

         iv   Daughter, b. say 1644; implied by estate of Elisha Hart.

         v   CHARITY, b. say 1646; m. by 1677 Thomas Loveland, one of the two administrators of Elisha Hart's estate [ TAG 72:42-48].

         vi   MARY, b. say 1648; m. by about 1668 John Greet [TAG 72:42-48].

         vii   EXPERIENCE, b. say 1650; m. and in 1677 divorced William Shepard of Westfield [TAG 70:82-83].

         viii   SARAH, b. say 1653; m. (1) by 25 July 1673 John Scone of Westfield [HamPR 1:148]; m. (2) Springfield 15 July 1692 John Burbank [ NEHGR 61:139].

         ix   ELISHA, b. by 1658 (and probably before 1651); living 30 September 1672 "being weak to manage his own matters," and chose "his uncle George Phelps" guardian [HamPR 1:147]; d. Windsor by 9 October 1683; the inventory of the estate of "Elisha Heart" was taken at Windsor 9 October 1683 and at Westfield 4 December 1683; administration was granted to Edward Neale and Thomas Loveland, and the court ordered distribution to "said Heart's eight sisters, to each an equal portion" [ Manwaring 1:320].

      ASSOCIATIONS: Elisha Hart chose his uncle George Phelps as his guardian in 1672, suggesting that Edmund Hart's wife was a Phelps, or that Hart's sister or his wife's sister was one of the two wives of George Phelps.
      BIBLIOGRAPHIC NOTE: In 1997 Gale Ion Harris provided the evidence and arguments in favor of the identities and spouses of the immigrant's daughters Mary and Charity [TAG 72:40-48].

      Click to view full context

      The Great Migration Begins
      Sketches
      PRESERVED PURITAN

      JOHN HART

      John Hart appears on a list of passengers embarking at London on 7 March 1631/2 [ Hotten 149]. This was the William & Francis, which arrived at Boston on 5 June 1632 [ WJ 1:93-94].
      COMMENTS: Savage claims that the 1632 passenger by the name of John Hart "went home, and came again, 1635" and settled at Salem, but there is no particular reason to believe this rather than that there were two men of the same name, with the 1632 passenger dying or removing soon.

      Click to view full context

      <

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)