Hammond trip

  • Marie Sorensen
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 3, 2006
      I am puzzled. This is supposed to be a geneology group for those
      interested in researching/sharing Hammond geneology, and yet I see a
      lot of posts that simply do not fit that description.

      At any rate, for those of you who are doing Hammond geneology, I will
      be taking a trip to the Boston area in the spring to take pictures of
      the area around Hammond Pond and to look for gravestones or our
      ancestors in the 1600/1700s. If any of you know where those
      gravesites might be or if you would like me to email you when I get
      back with the results of my research, please let me know. TIA (thanks
      in advance).

      Marie
    • dustin pollaski

        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 9, 2006
             I dont get anything from this group.I guess there arent many Hammonds out there.I joined hoping to find some but know luck.

          dustin pollaski <judy_geren2000@...> wrote:
          I agree with Marie.  I am always getting Spam from this website.  Have a good time in Boston Marie.  Judy Geren

          Marie Sorensen <paandgramarie@...> wrote:
          I am puzzled.  This is supposed to be a geneology group for those
          interested in researching/sharing Hammond geneology, and yet I see a
          lot of posts that simply do not fit that description.

          At any rate, for those of you who are doing Hammond geneology, I will
          be taking a trip to the Boston area in the spring to take pictures of
          the area around Hammond Pond and to look for gravestones or our
          ancestors in the 1600/1700s.  If any of you know where those
          gravesites might be or if you would like me to email you when I get
          back with the results of my research, please let me know.  TIA (thanks
          in advance).

          Marie

        • Mark and Marie Sorensen
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 9, 2006
            Hi,

            Well, I got curious and went back to the group site and found some interesting things.  The "owner" is "bouncing".  Apparently the website was started back in 1998, but emails that go to the man that started it return as undeliverable.  Thus, the group basically has no functioning owner or moderator.  No wonder there is spam.  I found a link to a Hammond website.  I don't know if they were part of the original group that started the Yahoo Group.  There apparently are 92 members, but many of them are "bouncing".  I don't know if that is just because people change email addresses over the years, or if people are blocking their emails from the group because of the spam.

            I really would like to have communication with those of you who are searching your family Hammond tree.  I would be willing to start another Yahoo Group for that purpose and be the Moderator if there are others of you who are interested.  Otherwise, I'm sure we can still use this group.  We just get weird stuff some of the time.

            What's your thinking?
            Marie

            shari wagner <shariw9@...> wrote:
[...]

            Yahoo! Photos

          • shari wagner

              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 10, 2006
                My father (dec.) was Nelson Hammond.... son of Edith Fitzsimmons and Nathan Hammond and born in Philadelphia.  Nathan was one of many Hammonds from the Baltimore area.  Nathan Hammond was my grandfather and born in 1876.

                I am trying to gather as much information as I can since most of my family is no longer here.  If another Yahoo group is started, please count me in.

                  - Drew Hammond

                shari wagner <shariw9@...> wrote:
[...]

                American family home insurance American family home insurance company American family home owner insurance

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              • Trish Spencer
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 10, 2006
                  HI,

                  I am interested in this group.  My maiden name was Hammond and traveled to Missouri by way of Louisa County, IA (Albert J. Hammond) back to New York (John Hammond and Clarrisa Manning.) Please update  me on the site.

                  Trish (Hammond) Spencer

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 10, 2006
                    Drew,

                    I may have my Hammonds mixed up, but I'm thinking Nathan may be the one that left a journal.  I haven't located it yet, but it was one of the things I was going to look for when I went east.  Do you know anything about it?

                    Marie

                    shari wagner <shariw9@...> wrote:
[...]

                    Multi family home for saleSingle family home for saleFamily home finance

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    Yahoo! Photos

                  • Drew Hammond

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 10, 2006
                            Albert was born either Chenango Co. NY or Cattaraugus Co. NY.  Parents are believed to be Joseph Hammond b. Chenango Co. NY  20 Jan 1796 d. July 26 1876 in Clear Creek, Cattaraugus Co. NY m. 8 Nov 1821 to Clarrisa Manning b. 2 Sept 1800, Clear Creek, Cattaraugus Co. NYd. 12 Dec. 1877 Clear Creek, Cattaraugus Co. NY.  John Hammond's parents are believed to be Joseph Hammond ( Joseph Hammond
                            born:
                            9 Mar 1767 Exeter RI, marr: 23 Mar 1793, died: 28 Mar 1848 Clear Creek NY and Anna Talbot (born: 27 Nov 1768, died: 20 Apr 1835).  We (my sister and I) have Albert"s Death certificate and found the rest in an old Hammond book.  We haven't proved it all to our satisfaction however.  Albert died in Chariton County, MO.  We have some cousins who are also interested in the family history but, I am the contact for now.  Thanks for any help!

                            Trish Spencer

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 10, 2006
                                  Mark and Marie,

                                  The Hammond book is an old one by  Frederick S. Hammond published 1902- 1904.  I understand there are inaccuracies in the book.  He does mention John and Clarissa with a son Albert.  We thought he might be more accurate on the later stuff as Albert died in 1886.  I am descended from his oldest son, George Lincoln Hammond.  George L. m. Zelitia Shoop in 1882 and they had 11 children--my Grandfather Henry Blair was the youngest.  (1906-1954).  My father was the oldest of 4 children (1924-1997)
                                  One of the Hammond cousins found a mention of John being murdered for the $70.00 he was carrying.  I don't know where he found that but, I understand that area of New York was a logging area and rather rough.  We would love to confirm the data on John and Clarissa and find if Joseph and Anna (Talbot) Hammond were his parents.  We have access here to the Federal Archives and to some decent Gen. libraries as this is the home of the RLDS Church.  I was able to access the Hammond book I mentioned on line through our county library system.  I can download the pages as a pdf file if there are some that any one is interested in.  I believe it has about 500 pages in total.  I have a scanner and can help with some items--just have never done any web site stuff!

                                  Trish

                                  shari wagner <shariw9@...> wrote:
[...]

                                • Sister Laura Swan, OSB
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 11, 2006
                                    May I get a citation on this Hammond book that these many emails have
                                    been referring to? My Hammonds (Rexville and Benjamin) moved to
                                    Wisconsin from Syracuse, NY in the mid-1800's.

                                    Thanks,

                                    Laura
                                  • Trish Spencer
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 11, 2006
                                      Dear Sister Laura,
                                      These are the 2 sources I have found mentioned.  As I said, I can access the Frederick Hammond book on line although it can be a pain.  Some libraries have the book or can get it on interlibrary loan.  If I can be of any help, please email me.

                                      Trish Spencer

                                      Frederick Stam Hammond, History and Genealogies of the Hammond Families in America, (2 vols., Oneida, NY 1902- 1904).

                                      Eugene Cole Zubrinsky, "The Hammonds of Rehoboth and Swansea, Massachusetts," New England Historical and Genealogical Register, vol. 149, p. 211 (July, 1995) and later "Additions and Corrections," Register, vol. 150, p. 216 (April, 1996)].

                                      "Sister Laura Swan, OSB" <lswan@...> wrote:
                                      May I get a citation on this Hammond book that these many emails have
                                      been referring to?  My Hammonds (Rexville and Benjamin) moved to
                                      Wisconsin from Syracuse, NY in the mid-1800's.

                                      Thanks,

                                      Laura

                                    • Lynne Roberts
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 12, 2006

                                        I’m very interested in a functioning Hammond group because I have two Hammond lines in my paternal genealogy – one from William Hammond/Elizabeth Penn (she arrived in Mass with her children in1634 – her descendant Joshua (William, Benjamin, Benjamin, Barsillian) migrated from Mass to Newport, RI., and eventually to California – the other John Hammond migrated from England to Anne Arundel County, MD – that line migrated to Kentucky, Missouri and finally to California.  I have lots of holes in this huge Hammond genealogy that I would love some help with – and I do possess the two volumes of Frederic Hammond.  I would be happy to research any questions concerning the books.  But I hope that regardless of who what or when – that we can get a viable group going here.

                                        Lynne

                                        Lynne Roberts

                                        Roseville, CA

                                        shari wagner <shariw9@...> wrote:

[...]

                                        !

                                        Yahoo! Photos

                                      • Mark and Marie Sorensen

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 13, 2006
                                            Lynne, thanks for that info one the Hammond line, I also have a Hammond book written by Roland Hammond that was given to me by my grandmother, I will look and see if there is any information on the holes that you are mentioning.

                                            Sandy DeLauretis

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jan 13, 2006
                                              Lynne,
                                              Does you Hammond volume have a Benj and Rexbille Hammond in the
                                              Syracuse, NY area (migrated to Wisconsin after the civil war)?

                                              Laura
                                            • Lynne Roberts
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jan 13, 2006
                                                Laura, can you give me any more Hammond names or information? I have no
                                                listing for a Rexbille and there are a million Benjamins.

                                                Lynne

                                                Does you Hammond volume have a Benj and Rexbille Hammond in the
                                                Syracuse, NY area (migrated to Wisconsin after the civil war)?

                                                Laura

                                                Yahoo! Groups Links