Hammonds in Kanawha County, WV

  • paintpal848
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 15, 2001
      Hi,

      My great-grandmother was Julia Hammond(s) who married James Lewis
      Martin. Julia was born in Marmet, VA (Kanawha County, WV NOW) in
      1853 She was, I think, the illigitimate daughter of Lucy Hammond.
      Julia also had a brother named Edward, who fought in the Civil War.
      I can find nothing in the census for any Hammond prior to 1850 and
      Lucy disappears after the 1880 census and is not in the state death
      book, either. Apparently, she was a housekeeper and stayed with
      various families. Can anyone give me any leads or give me some
      ideas?

      Thank you.

      Susie Melick