Re: [HTML-on-the-WEB] Web Site Critque

  • Steve C. McAusland
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 27, 2000
      All I get with credit.f2s.com is the top navigation bar. Also on the
      page you need to place your javascript between the <head> </head> tags
      as the way you have it right now it is simply showing as text at the
      very top of the page.

      I will have a look at the bizland site later.

      Steve C. McAusland

      Lisa Peters wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > I wonder, if I can have your views, opinions, and suggestions on my web
      > site.
      >
      > The web is a business site therefore:
      >
      > Are the colours TOO bold and outrageous for a business site?
      >
      > Which of the site as regards the colour scheme is more attractive?
      >
      > http://www.credit.f2s.com/
      >
      > OR
      >
      > http://cred.bizland.com/
      >
      > Password: visitor
      > Username: belmont
      >
      > (NOT CAPITALS!)
      >
      > Your views and suggestions are most welcome and highly appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks and regards
      >
      > Lisa

      > ~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~*~*~*~*~*
      > For help, subscribe, unsubscribe info, archives:
      > http://www.TheWebHut.com/tools/htmldl.asp!!
      > ~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~*~*~*~*~*
    • Lisa Peters

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2000
          At 10:36 AM 10/1/00 +0100, you wrote:
          >Hi
          >
          >I wonder, if I can have your views, opinions, and suggestions on my web
          >site.
          >
          >The web is a business site therefore:
          >
          >Are the colours TOO bold and outrageous for a business site?
          >
          >Which of the site as regards the colour scheme is more attractive?
          >
          >http://www.credit.f2s.com/
          >
          >OR
          >
          >http://cred.bizland.com/
          >
          >Password: visitor
          >Username: belmont
          >
          >(NOT CAPITALS!)
          >
          >Your views and suggestions are most welcome and highly appreciated.
          >
          >Thanks and regards
          >
          >Lisa

          The second site (cred.bizland.com) is by far more attractive, but is far
          from perfect. Here are some suggestions that I have to make the second
          site better:

          1) I like the spinning globe. It would be nice to keep it, but it really
          needs to go in about the same place on each page. I think that it would be
          even better to break out one of the images in the animation and create an
          onmouseover (JavaScript) event to start it spinning. Use onmouseover again
          to make it stop spinning.
          2) Get rid of the counter. I've tried that particular counter and have
          never gotten it to work correctly. Also, most business sites don't usually
          use counters anymore except internally on the server.
          3) The buttons on top could be designed with more contrasting colors (not
          _clashing_ like site 1).
          4) What in the world is <a
          href="../../../My%20Documents/webmistress@...">Webmaster</a>?
          ?? I suspect you have no idea what this link is on the second site because
          you are hiding the HTML with FrontPage. I am going to assume that you
          actually meant for this to be an e-mail address. The link SHOULD be: <a
          href="webmistress@...">Webmaster</a>. (The other links have
          the same problem which I attribute to FrontPage's horrible coding practices).
          5) Don't use FrontPage. FrontPage is for individuals who want to just get
          their homepage onto the internet. It is an okay tool for individuals, but
          a bad idea for businesses. WYSIWYG editors are not the best way to make a
          web page. I personally use notepad since I can't find a good editor that
          won't slap its name onto every page I create. Also, it is easy for people
          to tell that you used FrontPage (the HTML code says so as well as the
          horrible layout of the code...try 'View->Source' on one of the pages to see
          what I mean).
          6) The Press Release link does not work.
          7) The background is good on both sites, but the foreground colors need to
          be reconsidered. You might want to consider using a light-colored
          background for the text delivery portion of the page, put a single
          background globe in the upper left (current background image) with the
          animated globe centered on the image. Use a colored background (consisting
          of several images) to create a smooth graphical curve to separate the menu
          at the top with the globe from the text portion of the page at the bottom.
          8) The text on the buttons is hard to read.
          9) There are two different sets of contact information (one at the bottom
          of the main page, the other in the 'contacting us' page). This will
          probably confuse customers and clients.
          10) If I am a new customer/client to the site, then I would want to know
          what this company is all about. Only one line in the non-working
          'Interactive' section gives me a clue: "The matter of Credit. How your
          life has been improved, ruined, are the processes unfair or highly fair and
          so on." An 'About' page will fix this. If you have a short
          motto/mission/purpose statement, this can go either on the main page or the
          About page. If the mission statement is long, it should only go on the
          About page. (Site 1 has an About page, Site 2 does not).
          11) 'Organization' is spelled incorrectly several times on Site 1.
          12) Grammatical errors on both sites.

          I think that is enough suggestions for now. I know that if you get rid of
          FrontPage and use a plain-vanilla text editor, you will find development to
          be much easier and the web pages will look a lot better. Sure you have to
          learn HTML, but the time spent is worth more in the long run.

          Thomas J. Hruska -- shinelight@...
          http://www.shininglightpro.com/
        • Lisa Peters
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2000
            Hello Thomas,
            Thanks a lot!

            Superb analysis and highly constructive and positive.

            Let me go back to the drawing board and re engineer the valid points you
            have raised.

            I am again truly grateful to you and also delighted at your analysis.
            Regards

          • roger.wittwer@bedag.ch
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2000
              Hello folks,

              Just a Comment:

              Nice analysis, but the link

              You have to put the "mailto:" in front of the URL. Like this:

              That's all.

              Greetings from Switzerland.

              Roger