Music on a website

  • marksmith1978
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2002
      I am revamping a friend's website and she has asked for some kind of
      music to be included.

      The site is related to club promotions. She puts on "nights" at
      various venues and wants to include music from either their resident
      djs or classic club tunes.

      Now....

      I am faced with two problems.

      Firstly I'd like to use this music through some of external player or
      in a similar way to the radio on nme.com. It looks like medi player
      is somehow embedded in the site. Is this possible or easy to do?

      Secondly I can probably get most of the music I need from Kazaa, but
      how legal is it?! I don't want to get her in trouble!
    • Melinda Robinson, Web Artisan
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2002
        Mark wrote:

        > Secondly I can probably get most of the music I need from Kazaa, but
        > how legal is it?! I don't want to get her in trouble!

        If the music is copyrighted in any way, you cannot use it without prior
        permission -- and quite likely, a hefty royalty. Unless you use an MP3 that
        is specifically noted as being for public use, you and she are in violation
        of copyright laws and can be fined, charged, and all manner of lovely
        things.

        HTH,
        Melinda
        Dragon Spirit Computing -- http://www.dscomputing.net/
        *** Web Design & Development, Marketing and Graphics ***
        "Harness the power of the Internet and take your business
        to a higher level of success.. all for less than you'd expect!!"

        "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
        -- Mahatma Gandhi
      • Dean Hamack
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2002

          You have two choices: you can have links to the files on your site and
          people can just click on them, or you can embed a player into the page
          itself (or a popup window) and stream the files.

          The first option is pretty much illegal unless gotten permission from the
          artist to distribute the files. The second option is legal, as long as you
          obtained the files legally (bought them), because you aren't distributing
          anything. Internet radio stations are perfectly legal becuase you can just
          listen to the files, you can't copy them (at least not easily).

          The first option is easy. The second one is only easy if you have Frontpage.
          Microsoft has a plugin for Frontpage that writes all the code for the player
          and writes the .asx file for you. All you have to do is make a few mouse
          clicks.

          If you don't have FP, obviously you can still do it, but it's a huge pain in
          the ass because there is a lot of code to write. Here's some reading on
          Streaming media for you:

          http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/00/45/index3a.html?tw=multimedia

          I use Windows Media 8 format for all my streaming audio. To convert your
          MP3's to that format, you need a program called AudioSlimmer.

          http://www.mp3-converter.com/wma/audio_slimmer.htm

          Good luck,

          Dean Hamack
          Bushido Designs
          tactics@...
          Tel:(360)366-1062
          Professional website design at competitive prices.
        • Melinda Robinson, Web Artisan
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2002
            Hi all...

            I've reworked the baseball logo and would love to know what you think!

            http://www.dscomputing.net/CorpusBaseball/logo.jpg

            Thanks!
            Melinda
          • PamP
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 1, 2002
              I like it-----
              BUT there is somethignabout the ball and the lettering,
              do you think it would look better if the ball was the same size of the letters????
              But it is good---everything you do is good!!!!
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 1, 2002
                Pam wrote:

                > I like it-----
                > BUT there is somethignabout the ball and the lettering,
                > do you think it would look better if the ball was the same size
                > of the letters????

                No, I tried that and it looked really "off"... strange and unwieldy.

                > But it is good---everything you do is good!!!!

                Awwww... <blush> Thanks, Pam!!! =)

                Take care,
                Melinda
                Dragon Spirit Computing -- http://www.dscomputing.net/
                *** Web Design & Development, Marketing and Graphics ***
                "Harness the power of the Internet and take your business
                to a higher level of success.. all for less than you'd expect!!"

                "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
                -- Mahatma Gandhi
              • Mindy, Elvis, Scratchy, Buster and Webst
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 1, 2002
                  i love it, melinda!

                  Mindy
                  I've reworked the baseball logo and would love to know what you think!

                  http://www.dscomputing.net/CorpusBaseball/logo.jpg

                  Thanks!
                  Melinda

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  ~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~*~*~*~*~*
                  For help, subscribe, unsubscribe info, archives:
                  http://www.WebPage-Tools.com/htmldl.asp !!
                  ~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~*~*~*~*~*

                • Kvasov Dmitriy
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 2, 2002
                    Hello Web!

                    MRWA> I've reworked the baseball logo and would love to know what you think!

                    I think there's low contrast between word Baseball and green
                    background. (For test try to see it in grayscale). Perhaps made a
                    green field a bit brighter.

                    Anyway, good.

                    --
                    Best regards,
                    Dmitriy Kvasov mailto:akbot@...
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 2, 2002
                      Oh, well, if it does look weird than that looks great!!!!

                      And all your stuff is good---no need to blush!!!!

                      I want to be like you when I grow up as they say!!!