Re: [HTML-on-the-WEB] Re: Still No Music!

  • Michael Roush
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2002
      Some tips I have always tried to keep in mind when
      using audio on a website....

      * Always make listening optional. Forcing a sound to
      play takes up too much time and may drive people away
      from the site.

      * Offer the audio in several formats (mp3, wav, real
      audio, etc), and supply links to downloadable
      applications for each format.

      * State the size of the file on the page, so that the
      browser can have some idea of how long it will take to
      get the file.

      * Offer a "clip" as well as a full version of each
      audio file, so someone can download a 15-second clip
      to see if they like part of a song before spending 30
      minutes downloading the full version.

      Michael
      mdroush@...

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
    • Dean Hamack
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2002
        I don't mind music on sites, as long as it's not MIDI. That stuff sounds
        absolutely horrid. I think on a site for a band, background music is almost
        expected.

        I do think it's a good idea to have a button to turn it off though. I've
        figured out a few cross browser methods for doing so with simple HTML. It's
        also really easy to create a flash movie that is nothing more than an off
        button and a background sound.

        Dean Hamack
        Bushido Designs
        tactics@...
        Tel:(360)366-1062
        Professional website design at competitive prices.