testing in other browsers

  • Dennis Teepe
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2002
      greetings.
      I need to complete browser testing a site for a client. I've been able to
      test in Netscape 4.7, Internet Explorer 4.0, and Opera 6.01. All systems are
      go so far.
      How do I test the site in AOL without AOL invading my home somehow? I really
      don't want to download any AOL stuff.
      And what about other versions of Netscape, IE, or Opera? Should I bother, or
      is this going overboard? What about WebTV?
      And lastly, does anyone know where I can get information on browser usage
      (such as X% of browsers in use are Netscape version 4.7, X% are IE 4.0, etc.)
      so I can show the client?
      thanx in advance,
      Dennis Teepe
      Lincoln, RI
    • Dean Hamack
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2002
        OK, once again, here's my speal on testing:

        You should make sure your sites work on the lowest common denominators.
        These are:

        - Netscape 4.0 (not 4.7)
        - WebTV

        You can get NS 4 here:
        http://home.netscape.com/download/0314102/10002-en----_qual.html?cp=downav

        You can get WebTV Emulator here:
        http://developer.msntv.com/Tools/WebTVVwr.asp

        If your site works on NS, it will almost assuredly work on IE, Opera, and
        AOL. Opera does a few quirky things, so I usually test on it as well. There
        is no way to test for AOL, except to install AOL. Since this requires an
        account, very few people actually do it.

        As far as stats go, they are meaningless. Unless you check the stats on a
        site with exactly the same audience as the site you are building, they won't
        help. In other words, the type of person who visits a site that on web
        development is signifigantly different than the person who visits the John
        Deere Tractor Site.

        Dean Hamack
        Bushido Designs
        tactics@...
        Tel:(360)366-1062
        Professional website design at competitive prices.

      • Michael Roush
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2002
          Dennis,

          I use a tool called "Bobby" to check for browser
          compatibility problems. The version I use is 3.2. It
          checks a web page, or site, up against...

          HTML 2.0, 3.2, 4.0
          AOL 2.5 (Win), 2.6 (Mac), 2.7 (Mac), 3.0 (Win/Mac)
          MIE 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0
          Mosaic 2.11
          NN 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 4.5
          Lynx 2.5, 2.6, 2.7
          WebTV 1.0, 2.2
          Opera 3.5

          Bobby can also be set up to "emulate" a certain
          browser when making its page requests, in case the
          site is set up to serve different content to different
          browsers automatically.

          Obviously the tool is a bit dated. And, the current
          update has been greatly revised. The online version
          does not include the outlining of browser
          compatibility errors that my downloaded version does.

          According to the EULA, I can't give you a copy of my
          Bobby 3.2 either. But, I am e-mailing CAST (the
          people who make Bobby) to see if there is some chance
          of me being allowed to post it or share it. I'm
          saving my $99 for the single-user license on the new
          version just because I use it so much with 508 and WAI
          compliance issues.

          So, if you have a site that you think would be a good
          one for me to check for browser compatibility with AOL
          3.0, I would be happy to do it and let you know the
          results. :)

          Michael
          mdroush@...

          --- Dennis Teepe <djteepe@...> wrote:
          > How do I test the site in AOL without AOL invading
          > my home somehow? I really
          > don't want to download any AOL stuff.
          > And what about other versions of Netscape, IE, or
          > Opera? Should I bother, or
          > is this going overboard? What about WebTV?

          http://health.yahoo.com
        • Steve C. McAusland
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2002
            Is it possible to have say www.mydomain.com forward to
            www.myisp.com/mywebspace but still have it appear in a viewers broswer as
            www.mydomainc.com . I know how absurd this idea is but I am meeting a
            client tomorrow and I think they may ask about this as an option.

            Thanks,
            Steve C. McAusland
            http://www.treelinestudio.com/
            Enter to win a free art card.
          • Ranebow
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2002
              mydomain.com does it, and for free :)

              Raney

              ---------------------
              Ranebow dot Com - helping people weave the web
              http://www.ranebow.com

              > client tomorrow and I think they may ask about this as an option.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Steve C. McAusland
              > http://www.treelinestudio.com/
              > Enter to win a free art card.
              >

              > ~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~*~*~*~*~*
              > For help, subscribe, unsubscribe info, archives:
              > http://www.WebPage-Tools.com/htmldl.asp !!
              > ~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~*~*~*~*~*

            • Albert Lowe
              Message 6 of 7 , May 1, 2002
                So does DirectNIC. Well, it's not totally free. You have to register your
                domain name with them. That's $15.00 a year. And you can pay by the year
                too.

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                > ~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~^*~*~*~*~*~*
                > For help, subscribe, unsubscribe info, archives:
                > http://www.WebPage-Tools.com/htmldl.asp !!

                ---
              • Coach Maria
                Message 7 of 7 , May 1, 2002
                  Last I knew, behosting.com was charging $24 to park domains and gives you a
                  few email accounts to use, too.

                  Maria Marsala
                  www.CoachMaria.com