Re: [HTML-on-the-WEB] Background images

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 6, 2013
      On 3/6/2013 6:50 AM, Scottish2 wrote:
      > Hi All
      >
      > Question for you. I recently took over doing this website and I was
      > thinking (Unsure if I will or not but....) but was thinking of putting a
      > background image behind the main page. What I would like is for the
      > background image to fit the screen depending on the users screen size. I
      > seem to remember from awhile back that there were ways to do this.
      >
      > So is it possible and does anyone have a link to a lesson site on this
      > or coding that would allow me to do this?
      >
      > Thanks
      > Dave

      My experience is that stretched background images slow down the web
      browser not insignificantly.

      It can be done though:

      http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1150163/stretch-and-scale-a-css-image-in-the-background-with-css-only

      I've got great, time saving software that you might find useful.

      http://cubiclesoft.com/
    • Scottish2
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 6, 2013
        Thanks!

        As I said not sure I would do this anyways but just curious how to do it
        if I so decided to.

        On 3/6/2013 9:21 AM, Thomas Hruska wrote:

        > On 3/6/2013 6:50 AM, Scottish2 wrote:
        > > Hi All
        > >
        > > Question for you. I recently took over doing this website and I was
        > > thinking (Unsure if I will or not but....) but was thinking of putting a
        > > background image behind the main page. What I would like is for the
        > > background image to fit the screen depending on the users screen size. I
        > > seem to remember from awhile back that there were ways to do this.
        > >
        > > So is it possible and does anyone have a link to a lesson site on this
        > > or coding that would allow me to do this?
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > > Dave
        >
        > My experience is that stretched background images slow down the web
        > browser not insignificantly.
        >
        > It can be done though:
        >
        > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1150163/stretch-and-scale-a-css-image-in-the-background-with-css-only
        >
        > --
        > Thomas Hruska
        > CubicleSoft President
        >
        > I've got great, time saving software that you might find useful.
        >
        > http://cubiclesoft.com/

      • Scottish2
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
          Hi

          Does anyone here use yahoo Calender ON their website and know how to
          embed it? I have the link to embed the calender but problem is that
          seems to just redirect me to the calender itself See the page below

          http://www.tseringwangmo.com/Akis-Cooking/index.php?categories_file=Calender

          Is there a way to embed a yahoo calender without the redirect? I know
          with Google it's possible but with yahoo???

          Dave
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
            On 3/30/2013 4:40 AM, Scottish2 wrote:
            > Hi
            >
            > Does anyone here use yahoo Calender ON their website and know how to
            > embed it? I have the link to embed the calender but problem is that
            > seems to just redirect me to the calender itself See the page below
            >
            > http://www.tseringwangmo.com/Akis-Cooking/index.php?categories_file=Calender
            >
            > Is there a way to embed a yahoo calender without the redirect? I know
            > with Google it's possible but with yahoo???
            >
            > Dave

            Don't put a HTML document inside a HTML document?

            <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 3.2//en">
            (Really? We're on HTML 5. 3.2 is so Compuserve...)

            <head>
            <title>Welcome to Tsering Wangmo.com - Calender</title>

            <!-- Start Main Content Code -->

            <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 3.2//en">
            <head>
            <title>(Type a title for your page here)</title>
            </head>
            alink="#ff0000">
            <iframe
            src="http://calendar.yahoo.com/akiwangmo/e0f7501147e4eb1c1cd07108adb03d7a?od=131"
            width="100%" height="500">
            </iframe>

            <!-- End Main Content Code -->

            (You only need the iframe. The browser is probably weirding out over
            the rest of the HTML.)

            TseringWangmo.com <script language="JavaScript">
            var d=new Date();
            yr=d.getFullYear();
            if (yr!=3000)
            document.write(" 2012-"+yr);

            (What is special about the year 3000? 2999 and 3001 are okay to
            display, but I guess 3000 isn't.)

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
              HA HA my HTML editor is old so is probably using old tags just love it
              though as so easy to use even with the quirks in it!!

              And yeah I must have been half asleep as I usually ditch all the excess
              coding but must have slept through that but that said it is still
              redirecting to the calender rather then displaying it on the page

              And 3000 that just happened to be what the author of the auto update
              script wrote into it I just never saw any need to change it since it
              worked fine!

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
                On 3/30/2013 7:22 AM, Scottish2 wrote:
                > And yeah I must have been half asleep as I usually ditch all the excess
                > coding but must have slept through that but that said it is still
                > redirecting to the calender rather then displaying it on the page

                Hmm....this is an interesting problem. This may be relevant:

                http://stackoverflow.com/questions/958997/frame-buster-buster-buster-code-needed

                Is Yahoo Calendar busting out of its iframe? Hard to tell, but the
                target URL has "?reload" in it. (This doesn't solve your other problem,
                BTW, with iframe sizing.) You have some whitespace in between the
                'iframe' open and close tags. Try removing that. Other than that, I
                see nothing wrong other than the Javascript inside the iframe is
                probably causing the page to jump out of the iframe and over to Yahoo's
                full site. IMO, this should not really be possible in the first place.

                During my searches, I ran into:

                http://www.zimbra.com/forums/administrators/37054-using-iframe-display-calendar-doesnt-work-ie.html

                The last reply there is...bizarre. Abuse of the 'object' tag. I don't
                recommend it nor see how it will help.

                IMO, the best approach is to just link to the target website. With
                mobile devices consuming up to 50% of casual traffic on the web (in some
                cases), iframes are a really bad website development strategy going forward.

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
                  Hi

                  Well the first link the given code gives some weird message screen so
                  perhaps something relating to yahoo and the way they handle the calender
                  feature perhaps as I only get it when I try and block the redirect.

                  And yeah have not adjusted the frame at all as not been able to get the
                  calender to display in it so not been able to adjust it yet.

                  As for the iframe I'm not really targeting the site to cell phones due
                  to the nature and content of the site so......

                  I might just use google's calender as I know their embeds just fine
                  without this redirect issue!