Background images

  • Scottish2
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 6, 2013
      Hi All

      Question for you. I recently took over doing this website and I was
      thinking (Unsure if I will or not but....) but was thinking of putting a
      background image behind the main page. What I would like is for the
      background image to fit the screen depending on the users screen size. I
      seem to remember from awhile back that there were ways to do this.

      So is it possible and does anyone have a link to a lesson site on this
      or coding that would allow me to do this?

      Thanks
      Dave
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 6, 2013
        On 3/6/2013 6:50 AM, Scottish2 wrote:
        > Hi All
        >
        > Question for you. I recently took over doing this website and I was
        > thinking (Unsure if I will or not but....) but was thinking of putting a
        > background image behind the main page. What I would like is for the
        > background image to fit the screen depending on the users screen size. I
        > seem to remember from awhile back that there were ways to do this.
        >
        > So is it possible and does anyone have a link to a lesson site on this
        > or coding that would allow me to do this?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Dave

        My experience is that stretched background images slow down the web
        browser not insignificantly.

        It can be done though:

        http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1150163/stretch-and-scale-a-css-image-in-the-background-with-css-only

        I've got great, time saving software that you might find useful.

        http://cubiclesoft.com/
      • Scottish2
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 6, 2013
          Thanks!

          As I said not sure I would do this anyways but just curious how to do it
          if I so decided to.

          On 3/6/2013 9:21 AM, Thomas Hruska wrote:

          > On 3/6/2013 6:50 AM, Scottish2 wrote:
          > > Hi All
          > >
          > > Question for you. I recently took over doing this website and I was
          > > thinking (Unsure if I will or not but....) but was thinking of putting a
          > > background image behind the main page. What I would like is for the
          > > background image to fit the screen depending on the users screen size. I
          > > seem to remember from awhile back that there were ways to do this.
          > >
          > > So is it possible and does anyone have a link to a lesson site on this
          > > or coding that would allow me to do this?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > > Dave
          >
          > My experience is that stretched background images slow down the web
          > browser not insignificantly.
          >
          > It can be done though:
          >
          > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1150163/stretch-and-scale-a-css-image-in-the-background-with-css-only
          >
          > --
          > Thomas Hruska
          > CubicleSoft President
          >
          > I've got great, time saving software that you might find useful.
          >
          > http://cubiclesoft.com/

        • Scottish2
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
            Hi

            Does anyone here use yahoo Calender ON their website and know how to
            embed it? I have the link to embed the calender but problem is that
            seems to just redirect me to the calender itself See the page below

            http://www.tseringwangmo.com/Akis-Cooking/index.php?categories_file=Calender

            Is there a way to embed a yahoo calender without the redirect? I know
            with Google it's possible but with yahoo???

            Dave
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
              On 3/30/2013 4:40 AM, Scottish2 wrote:
              > Hi
              >
              > Does anyone here use yahoo Calender ON their website and know how to
              > embed it? I have the link to embed the calender but problem is that
              > seems to just redirect me to the calender itself See the page below
              >
              > http://www.tseringwangmo.com/Akis-Cooking/index.php?categories_file=Calender
              >
              > Is there a way to embed a yahoo calender without the redirect? I know
              > with Google it's possible but with yahoo???
              >
              > Dave

              Don't put a HTML document inside a HTML document?

              <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 3.2//en">
              (Really? We're on HTML 5. 3.2 is so Compuserve...)

              <head>
              <title>Welcome to Tsering Wangmo.com - Calender</title>

              <!-- Start Main Content Code -->

              <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 3.2//en">
              <head>
              <title>(Type a title for your page here)</title>
              </head>
              alink="#ff0000">
              <iframe
              src="http://calendar.yahoo.com/akiwangmo/e0f7501147e4eb1c1cd07108adb03d7a?od=131"
              width="100%" height="500">
              </iframe>

              <!-- End Main Content Code -->

              (You only need the iframe. The browser is probably weirding out over
              the rest of the HTML.)

              TseringWangmo.com <script language="JavaScript">
              var d=new Date();
              yr=d.getFullYear();
              if (yr!=3000)
              document.write(" 2012-"+yr);

              (What is special about the year 3000? 2999 and 3001 are okay to
              display, but I guess 3000 isn't.)

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
                HA HA my HTML editor is old so is probably using old tags just love it
                though as so easy to use even with the quirks in it!!

                And yeah I must have been half asleep as I usually ditch all the excess
                coding but must have slept through that but that said it is still
                redirecting to the calender rather then displaying it on the page

                And 3000 that just happened to be what the author of the auto update
                script wrote into it I just never saw any need to change it since it
                worked fine!

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
                  On 3/30/2013 7:22 AM, Scottish2 wrote:
                  > And yeah I must have been half asleep as I usually ditch all the excess
                  > coding but must have slept through that but that said it is still
                  > redirecting to the calender rather then displaying it on the page

                  Hmm....this is an interesting problem. This may be relevant:

                  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/958997/frame-buster-buster-buster-code-needed

                  Is Yahoo Calendar busting out of its iframe? Hard to tell, but the
                  target URL has "?reload" in it. (This doesn't solve your other problem,
                  BTW, with iframe sizing.) You have some whitespace in between the
                  'iframe' open and close tags. Try removing that. Other than that, I
                  see nothing wrong other than the Javascript inside the iframe is
                  probably causing the page to jump out of the iframe and over to Yahoo's
                  full site. IMO, this should not really be possible in the first place.

                  During my searches, I ran into:

                  http://www.zimbra.com/forums/administrators/37054-using-iframe-display-calendar-doesnt-work-ie.html

                  The last reply there is...bizarre. Abuse of the 'object' tag. I don't
                  recommend it nor see how it will help.

                  IMO, the best approach is to just link to the target website. With
                  mobile devices consuming up to 50% of casual traffic on the web (in some
                  cases), iframes are a really bad website development strategy going forward.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
                    Hi

                    Well the first link the given code gives some weird message screen so
                    perhaps something relating to yahoo and the way they handle the calender
                    feature perhaps as I only get it when I try and block the redirect.

                    And yeah have not adjusted the frame at all as not been able to get the
                    calender to display in it so not been able to adjust it yet.

                    As for the iframe I'm not really targeting the site to cell phones due
                    to the nature and content of the site so......

                    I might just use google's calender as I know their embeds just fine
                    without this redirect issue!