Couple questions

  • Scottish2
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 1, 2012
      Hi All

      Got 3 questions Will list them below.

      First little background. Not sure as just mailed the lady to see if I
      can take over the webmastering of her site for her, but so you know she
      is Tibetan.

      1. Being she is Tibetan there is a chance unsure she might want to post
      some things in Tibetan script. I have never done anything not using
      English style lettering before. Now if she decides to do this and
      she did all the Tibetan script writing and such is there anything I
      need to know specifically to get the Tibetan script to display on
      the website for those who have the script installed as I know it
      requires the Tibetan font to be installed on the users computer as
      with any language in order to display the characters. But should
      they have the script already installed is there anything I need to
      know that might affect how I program my pages.
      2. Secondly are there any free services that office good secure webmail
      services? Being she is Tibetan there is always a chance of her being
      hacked or targeted for spam and such and need to find a solution to
      this as the CCP in China love targeting Tibetans even as high up as
      the Dalai Lama.
      3. Lastly I am not sure if we will need it but should she decide to
      host a blog are there any free blog software out here that is fairly
      secure? I have heard some negatives about wordpress due to how
      popular it is have heard it is more vulnerable to hacking due to the
      popularity of it.

      Thanks
      Dave

      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 1, 2012
        On 12/1/2012 6:34 AM, Scottish2 wrote:
        > Hi All
        >
        > Got 3 questions Will list them below.
        >
        > First little background. Not sure as just mailed the lady to see if I
        > can take over the webmastering of her site for her, but so you know she
        > is Tibetan.
        >
        > 1. Being she is Tibetan there is a chance unsure she might want to post
        > some things in Tibetan script. I have never done anything not using
        > English style lettering before. Now if she decides to do this and
        > she did all the Tibetan script writing and such is there anything I
        > need to know specifically to get the Tibetan script to display on
        > the website for those who have the script installed as I know it
        > requires the Tibetan font to be installed on the users computer as
        > with any language in order to display the characters. But should
        > they have the script already installed is there anything I need to
        > know that might affect how I program my pages.

        The page should be coded in UTF-8. Either declared as such through a
        HTTP header or a http-equiv meta tag (or both). Webpages default to
        ISO-8859-1 (usually). UTF-8 solves a LOT of problems with character set
        encoding and, IMO, should be the default character set for the web.

        > 2. Secondly are there any free services that office good secure webmail
        > services? Being she is Tibetan there is always a chance of her being
        > hacked or targeted for spam and such and need to find a solution to
        > this as the CCP in China love targeting Tibetans even as high up as
        > the Dalai Lama.

        All Google services are capable of running over HTTPS. Use GMail with a
        password of at least 40 characters in length (longer password = more
        secure...Hint: Try using sentences for passwords). Run GMail over HTTPS.

        Relevant: http://xkcd.com/936/

        > 3. Lastly I am not sure if we will need it but should she decide to
        > host a blog are there any free blog software out here that is fairly
        > secure? I have heard some negatives about wordpress due to how
        > popular it is have heard it is more vulnerable to hacking due to the
        > popularity of it.

        Blogger is owned by Google and integrates with Google Accounts. It also
        supports HTTPS.

        I recommend the following plugin for your security-conscious friend:

        https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere

        Barebones CMS is a high-performance, open source content management
        system for web developers operating in a team environment.

        An open source CubicleSoft initiative.
        Your choice of a MIT or LGPL license.

        http://barebonescms.com/
      • Scottish2
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 1, 2012
          Thanks!

          If she did want a blog is Blogger embeddable into the site or not as not
          used Blogger except a quick test ages ago.

          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 1, 2012
            On 12/1/2012 2:08 PM, Scottish2 wrote:
            > Thanks!
            >
            > If she did want a blog is Blogger embeddable into the site or not as not
            > used Blogger except a quick test ages ago.

            I've seen people set up subdomains. Haven't done that myself. Looks
            pretty straightforward though:

            http://smallbusiness.chron.com/can-connect-blogger-subdomain-27305.html

            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 1, 2012
              On 12/1/2012 2:26 PM, Thomas Hruska wrote:
              > On 12/1/2012 2:08 PM, Scottish2 wrote:
              >> Thanks!
              >>
              >> If she did want a blog is Blogger embeddable into the site or not as not
              >> used Blogger except a quick test ages ago.
              >
              > I've seen people set up subdomains. Haven't done that myself. Looks
              > pretty straightforward though:
              >
              > http://smallbusiness.chron.com/can-connect-blogger-subdomain-27305.html

              One other thing: I should warn you that Blogger is pretty limited as to
              what it can do. Google rolled out the latest version several months
              ago. I tried out the WYSIWYG version and eventually switched back to
              the raw HTML version after the WYSIWYG version demolished the layout of
              my content for the umpteenth time. But in terms of setup and ease of
              navigation for new users, it beats WP. WP has a denser feature set but
              has a much larger learning curve and its WYSIWYG editor is, IMO, almost
              as broken as Blogger's.

              If your user outgrows Blogger, WP can natively import Blogger blogs. So
              there is a conversion path available. I personally have a severe
              dislike for WP - big, bloated, slow, and buggy even with caching
              plugins. If a million visitors drop by on a self-hosted WP server, the
              server goes down and the hosting provider will kick you off. Google +
              Blogger have a significant advantage in dealing with massive traffic
              spikes with their scalable architecture you don't pay a dime for.