url age benefit advice requested

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2012
      I have had e-commerce for about 15 years on a particular product. I outgrew a few e-commerce solutions during that time. The one I am on now is nice but the rate has went up over 50$ and my renew is next March and I will not be staying with them.

      Last year I made a secondary site using magento that I hoped to see it work and then knew if it did I could switch to it with magento. Problem is my sales were terrible. Same products, same meta tags etc. but no sales. Very disappointing. So a person suggested that since the secondary site was a new url I wasn't getting the hits I would have gotten if I had used my original url and moved the magento store to it. Does that make sense? My fear of that is if I switch to magento with the original url and it still doesn't work I have no backup option and my sales stink and I have no income.

      Another option is I have a url I made 15 years ago with static html pages that have items pointing to my current sites items. I could try magento on that url to see if the age of the url thing has an impact on sales.

      So to wrap up I have several options and I need to take the most logical one and am asking your input.

      url #1was my very first url and is about 15 years old and currently has static pages on it pointing to my current site (url #2) e-commerce site. http://proaudiomusic.com

      url #2 I've used for internet sales income the past 9 years but the current shopping cart is to expensive. http://dcmusicstore.com using netsuite.com

      url #3 is a site about 1 - 2 yrs old that I installed a magento store on with the very same items url 2 has and was a test to see if a magento store would produce sales and let me abandon the continuing price increases of url #2's e-commerce site. http://maxxsound.net

      Options I see:
      Option #1 Do I try magento on url #1 as it wasn't working on url #3 since url #1 is much older?
      Option #2 Do I push all the chips in and move magento to url #2 and assume it will work? (problem is I'd have no incoming sales from the net if this doesn't work)
      Option #3 is try a different e-commerce solution altogether like enterprise on #3, move magento to #2 and have yet another option in the fire. Problem is for me is running 3 sites for a year test would be a ton of work. But if it needs done than I'd do it.

      What option seems the most logical to you? What I need is sales with an affordable e-commerce solution. I have roughly 6k items. Please use the poll but more importantly post why you feel this is the best action. I sincerely appreciate your input.

      Many thanks for your input.
      Dave
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 12, 2012
        On 3/8/2012 4:28 PM, Dave wrote:
        > I have had e-commerce for about 15 years on a particular product. I outgrew a few e-commerce solutions during that time. The one I am on now is nice but the rate has went up over 50$ and my renew is next March and I will not be staying with them.
        >
        > Last year I made a secondary site using magento that I hoped to see it work and then knew if it did I could switch to it with magento. Problem is my sales were terrible. Same products, same meta tags etc. but no sales. Very disappointing. So a person suggested that since the secondary site was a new url I wasn't getting the hits I would have gotten if I had used my original url and moved the magento store to it. Does that make sense? My fear of that is if I switch to magento with the original url and it still doesn't work I have no backup option and my sales stink and I have no income.
        >
        > Another option is I have a url I made 15 years ago with static html pages that have items pointing to my current sites items. I could try magento on that url to see if the age of the url thing has an impact on sales.
        >
        > So to wrap up I have several options and I need to take the most logical one and am asking your input.
        >
        > url #1was my very first url and is about 15 years old and currently has static pages on it pointing to my current site (url #2) e-commerce site. http://proaudiomusic.com
        >
        > url #2 I've used for internet sales income the past 9 years but the current shopping cart is to expensive. http://dcmusicstore.com using netsuite.com
        >
        > url #3 is a site about 1 - 2 yrs old that I installed a magento store on with the very same items url 2 has and was a test to see if a magento store would produce sales and let me abandon the continuing price increases of url #2's e-commerce site. http://maxxsound.net
        >
        > Options I see:
        > Option #1 Do I try magento on url #1 as it wasn't working on url #3 since url #1 is much older?
        > Option #2 Do I push all the chips in and move magento to url #2 and assume it will work? (problem is I'd have no incoming sales from the net if this doesn't work)
        > Option #3 is try a different e-commerce solution altogether like enterprise on #3, move magento to #2 and have yet another option in the fire. Problem is for me is running 3 sites for a year test would be a ton of work. But if it needs done than I'd do it.
        >
        > What option seems the most logical to you? What I need is sales with an affordable e-commerce solution. I have roughly 6k items. Please use the poll but more importantly post why you feel this is the best action. I sincerely appreciate your input.
        >
        > Many thanks for your input.
        > Dave

        I can't speak to Magento. OpenCart is the only software I've used
        extensively. I can't really recommend OpenCart - too much effort
        required to put something together but I also don't have any other
        recommendations. You obviously like Magento best, so go with that and
        deal with issues as they arise.

        Your core issue is "permalinks". If you want to maintain SEO, you need
        to map each old URL to the new URL scheme - making sure to use either
        301 or 302 redirects. You can redirect a couple of times before
        browsers and search engines give up (around 4 redirects is the limit).
        Depending on the URL scheme you are using now, it could be a matter of
        doing a simple rewrite to something a LOT more complex that takes an old
        URL and maps it using a database table you build. From the end-user
        perspective AND Googlebot, if you do it right, you won't see any
        reduction in sales due to technical issues. Then the only remaining
        issue is if there is a bug in the software or users can't figure out how
        to use the new store software and give up.

        If you can figure out how to use the new software so that the URLs are
        100% IDENTICAL, then that is better, but I suspect you'll need redirects.

        Old URLs with lots of inbound links are considered to be VERY valuable
        and rank well in search results. Old domains are too.

        Barebones CMS is a high-performance, open source content management
        system for web developers operating in a team environment.

        An open source CubicleSoft initiative.
        Your choice of a MIT or LGPL license.

        http://barebonescms.com/