Wiki help - categories

  • Gordon Stewart
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2012
      Hello.

      is wiki help on topic here ?

      We have a namespace set up in a wiki - for a select group of people to view.

      I have found out about wiki "categories" and LOVE the idea - & would
      like to use it. however, when setting it up on a few select pages to
      test out, I find that the Categories are visable to the public /
      everyone (no need to log in..)

      Is there a way to limit the categories so only a select group of
      people can view them. IE only the people that can access the
      individual pages will be able to see the categories. (these categories
      are only for the particular namespace)

      --

      Gordon.

      Changing the world one gift at a time
      Auckland North Shore Freecycle - New Zealand
      http://www.freecycle.org/
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2012
        On 2/3/2012 2:17 PM, Gordon Stewart wrote:
        > Hello.
        >
        > is wiki help on topic here ?
        >
        > We have a namespace set up in a wiki - for a select group of people to view.
        >
        > I have found out about wiki "categories" and LOVE the idea -& would
        > like to use it. however, when setting it up on a few select pages to
        > test out, I find that the Categories are visable to the public /
        > everyone (no need to log in..)
        >

        > Is there a way to limit the categories so only a select group of
        > people can view them. IE only the people that can access the
        > individual pages will be able to see the categories. (these categories
        > are only for the particular namespace)

        Uh sure? But you probably won't find many people.

        Unfortunately, I've never installed a Wiki. I find them too bizarre to
        use in the first place and their performance on average hardware is
        pretty pathetic.

        If it is any reasonably popular Wiki software such as MediaWiki, you can
        probably write a plugin/hook/extension that checks for a logged in user
        and then the privilege level of the logged in user. How you do that
        will require digging into and getting real cozy with the internals of
        the software. There might also be an option to do what you want via a
        configuration file.

        Barebones CMS is a high-performance, open source content management
        system for web developers operating in a team environment.

        An open source CubicleSoft initiative.
        Your choice of a MIT or LGPL license.

        http://barebonescms.com/