Re: [HTML-on-the-WEB] Spam

    Message 1 of 54 , Dec 1, 2011
      On 11/30/2011 10:12 AM, Scottish2 wrote:
      > Is it possible to edit what he has? If so how hard is it to edit cause
      > what we have now is just a freebie guestbook and even though free would
      > hate to lose the signers we have in there now.

      Disqus supposedly has both import and synchronization options. You
      should be able to export existing entries and then import them into the
      Disqus platform with a quick little PHP script. Disqus has a free
      version of their service, which is widely used. I see Disqus constantly.

      As to fixing the existing guestbook: Sure - anything is possible given
      enough time and effort. But is it worth it? Changing out the CAPTCHA
      is going to take work as well as integrating the StopForumSpam.com API.
      And you're going to need halfway decent PHP skills.

      Also, I forgot to mention that the guestbook software appears to be
      susceptible to remote data injection attacks. The data is stored using
      a tab-delimiter and I didn't see anything obvious in the code that would
      remove tabs. serialize()/unserialize() is a better data storage
      solution than what that guestbook does. This and other issues tell me
      that the software is not particularly well-written.

      You'll still get spam no matter what you do. That's the nature of
      things at the moment. But there will be a lot less of it.

      > On 11/30/2011 10:19 AM, Thomas Hruska wrote:
      >>
      >> On 11/30/2011 7:26 AM, Scottish2 wrote:
      >>> Well the form has a CAPTCHA
      >>>
      >>> http://namgyalrapper.com/guestbook/gbook.php?a=sign
      >>>
      >>> That is why just wondering what options there are short of just removing
      >>> the GB if I have to. But will check out the forum
      >>>
      >>> Thanks!

      >> known
      >> name for

      >> That CAPTCHA solution is very weak - decent OCR software will get it
      >> right 90% of the time - especially since it appears to be limited to
      >> numbers, is always five characters in length, and that guestbook
      >> software appears to be susceptible to a form of session fixation
      >> attacks. Basically, it isn't very good and you need to replace it.
      >>
      >> Additionally, if 'filter_sum' in 'settings.php' wasn't changed, a
      >> spammer can generate the same images you'll generate fairly easily
      >> without needing OCR.
      >>
      >> reCAPTCHA is better.
      >>
      >> But a CAPTCHA won't stop "sweatshop spammers" though. That is where
      >> StopForumSpam comes in handy. It will block spammers by IP address.
      >>
      >> Stopping spam yourself requires a multifaceted solution that includes
      >> global anti-spam databases.
      >>
      >> P.S. Guestbooks were in vogue about 15 years ago. I don't know anyone
      >> who uses them still.
      >>
      >> P.P.S. You might also look at using Disqus as a "guestbook" platform
      >> instead. They have a great anti-spam solution baked into their
      >> platform. Disqus is free to use and has full social media integration.
      >> And it will be one less thing you'll have to worry about in terms of
      >> that particular website's security.

      Barebones CMS is a high-performance, open source content management
      system for web developers operating in a team environment.

      An open source CubicleSoft initiative.
      Your choice of a MIT or LGPL license.

      http://barebonescms.com/
    • Scottish2
      Message 54 of 54 , Jan 11, 2012
        Hi All

        I was updating a site I maintain this morning to fix some width issues
        (still doing that!!) and I came across something odd.

        My wife's laptop uses IE for her browser, where as I prefer fire fox and
        I noticed on fire fox the picture border set to 1 pixel is white where
        as in IE the border I am guessing is black cause it does not show up.

        http://namgyalrapper.com/index.php?categories_file=upcoming

        Is the block of photos for 2009 mid page.

        Is there a reason for this and if so is there a way to set the border
        color for picture borders?

        I know I can edit the photos to add this and just turn borders off but
        just curious if there is a coding issue that might be causing this

        TIA
        Dave