Re: [HTML-on-the-WEB] Replacement for IFRAME

  • Nigel Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
      I guess it's really a concept issue.
      I've always written sites from scratch with just a text editor.

      I go to your documentation page and see sections for programmers, web designers, and content editors. That's me. I'm all
      three of them so which do I start with?
      I've already got the working web site to transfer to the CMS but which parts of my already written pages goes where if
      I'm not starting over from clean?

      I've looked at several CMS packages in the past and it seems like too big a step and too much to rewrite when I already
      have something working.
      I had the same sort of issue with web creation software some years ago. I played with Dreamweaver, it didn't intuitively
      do something I wanted and a raw HTML edit was the easiest solution. I decided that, it I had to know HTML to implement
      things it didn't do then I might as well write from scratch and forget the expensive software.

      --
      Nigel A. Gunn, 1865 El Camino Drive, Xenia, OH 45385-1115, USA. tel +1 937 825 5032
      Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF (was KC8NHF 9H3GN), e-mail nigel@... www http://www.ngunn.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
        I'm usually not home and have no internet access when I want to read.
        I don't like manuals "on screen". I'd rather pay for a book and if "on screen" I want it all in one place, one big document.
        Having to keep switching between many documents, web pages etc doesn't work for me.
        I want real, comprehensive manuals.

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
          On 3/1/2011 7:28 AM, Nigel Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF wrote:
          > I guess it's really a concept issue.
          > I've always written sites from scratch with just a text editor.
          >
          > I go to your documentation page and see sections for programmers, web designers, and content editors. That's me. I'm all
          > three of them so which do I start with?

          The "Getting Started" documentation section entitled:

          "First-Time Users [How to not be immediately lost]"

          :)

          > I've already got the working web site to transfer to the CMS but which parts of my already written pages goes where if
          > I'm not starting over from clean?

          For already working websites, you have a couple of options in Barebones
          CMS. Ideally you just start over, but that isn't always realistic nor
          desired by the developer. The Code Widget allows you to drop in any
          PHP/HTML code you want onto the page. Basically, the Code Widget is a
          programmer's best friend. Then, wherever you want to allow the person
          to edit content, close out any open PHP tags (do the '?>' thing), add a
          Content Widget, followed by another Code Widget where you can continue
          writing raw PHP/HTML. Create an account for the person that allows them
          to edit content and add the "group" that they belong to on each page
          that they can edit content on (users are part of groups even if you only
          set up one group).

          That's the quick-n-dirty solution to getting existing pages into
          Barebones CMS.

          Barebones CMS is a high-performance, open source content management
          system for web developers operating in a team environment.

          An open source CubicleSoft initiative.
          Your choice of a MIT or LGPL license.

          http://barebonescms.com/
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
            On 3/1/2011 7:32 AM, Nigel Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF wrote:
            > I'm usually not home and have no internet access when I want to read.
            > I don't like manuals "on screen". I'd rather pay for a book and if "on screen" I want it all in one place, one big document.
            > Having to keep switching between many documents, web pages etc doesn't work for me.
            > I want real, comprehensive manuals.
            >
            > On 26-Feb-11 17:25, Thomas Hruska wrote:
            >
            >>> I looked at Barebones and decided that the "manual" was insufficient to get it going quickly without too much brain work.

            Ah. So you want a dead-tree edition of the documentation or at least
            the ability to create a dead-tree edition out of a PDF. I'll add that
            to my list of things to do.

            The videos might be a little difficult to print out though.

            Barebones CMS is a high-performance, open source content management
            system for web developers operating in a team environment.

            An open source CubicleSoft initiative.
            Your choice of a MIT or LGPL license.

            http://barebonescms.com/
          • Nigel A. Gunn
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
              Sort of.
              I much prefer a single, book like, file that I can put on a memory stick
              and take with me.

              It's just me I guess. I can appear awkward at times. Don't go to too
              much trouble unless others might find it useful.
              The videos, as long as they can be downloaded, I can cope with.
              I'll take another look.