Tables

  • Scottish2
    Message 1 of 54 , Oct 3, 2010
      Hi All

      Question for you. I am pretty good at using tables but had a question
      about wild cards.

      I'm working on tweaking a page for a group I help sometimes. Below is
      the test PHP page

      http://namgyalrapper.com/test/TYC/test.php

      Now bare in mind I know pretty much what I am doing but the guy that is
      maintaining the site is not all that good with it reason I am trying to
      make things a little easier for him as far as keeping the site updated.

      Now as you can see in the main center area I have a 3 column table. The
      width of the table is 1000 pixels wide and centered. The left and right
      cells are both info that are being pulled from a left and right includes
      files to be able to easily update all pages without having to adjust
      each and every page. Currently the left cell is 122 pixels wide and the
      right cell is 200 wide.

      Now the left column once set I think pretty much will stay as it is in
      regards to width.

      The center column marked currently only as Main Content goes here I have
      set as a wild card so that center cell floats. In that cell is a table
      80% wide & centered that way they can center it and give a little
      breathing room

      Problem is the right column might change as that is one they seem to
      have news and such listed in so that column may sometimes change in width.

      So my question is this. If I set the width like it currently is at 200
      then that would mean they would have to adjust each page on the site if
      the material in the right cell called for more or less spacing.

      So is there a way to set that right hand column as a floater like I have
      the center cell or is this not possible being I already have 1 floating
      cell in the center?????

      If not any suggestions that I can do to make both cells floater cells??

      TIA
      Dave

    • Scottish2
      Message 54 of 54 , Jan 11, 2012
        Hi All

        I was updating a site I maintain this morning to fix some width issues
        (still doing that!!) and I came across something odd.

        My wife's laptop uses IE for her browser, where as I prefer fire fox and
        I noticed on fire fox the picture border set to 1 pixel is white where
        as in IE the border I am guessing is black cause it does not show up.

        http://namgyalrapper.com/index.php?categories_file=upcoming

        Is the block of photos for 2009 mid page.

        Is there a reason for this and if so is there a way to set the border
        color for picture borders?

        I know I can edit the photos to add this and just turn borders off but
        just curious if there is a coding issue that might be causing this

        TIA
        Dave