error on webpage

  • ** Maria Marsala **
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2010
      Page: http://www.coachmaria.com/ticket/

      I do not understand error I'm getting, but I get that little yellow
      icon on the bottom of the page in IE 8.0 Can someone tell me what I
      need to fix? Webpage error details

      MESSAGE

      Message: 'object' is undefined

      Char: 1

      Code: 0

      URI: http://www.coachmaria.com/ticket/

      PROBLEM LINES

      script type="text/javascript"
      src="http://www.clocklink.com/embed.js"></script><script
      type="text/javascript" language="javascript">obj=new
      object;obj.clockfile="0011-purple.swf";obj.timezone="PST";obj.width=12
      5;obj.height=125;obj.wmode="transparent";showClock(obj);</script>

      <script type="text/javascript"
      src="http://www.clocklink.com/embed.js"></script><script
      type="text/javascript" language="javascript">obj=new
      object;obj.clockfile="0011-silver.swf";obj.timezone="MST";obj.width=12
      5;obj.height=125;obj.wmode="transparent";showClock(obj);</script>

      <script type="text/javascript"
      src="http://www.clocklink.com/embed.js"></script><script
      type="text/javascript" language="javascript">obj=new
      object;obj.clockfile="0011-green.swf";obj.timezone="CDT";obj.width=125
      ;obj.height=125;obj.wmode="transparent";showClock(obj);</script>

      <script type="text/javascript"
      src="http://www.clocklink.com/embed.js"></script><script
      type="text/javascript" language="javascript">obj=new
      object;obj.clockfile="0011-purple.swf";obj.timezone="EST";obj.width=12
      5;obj.height=125;obj.wmode="transparent";showClock(obj);</script>

      Thanks in advance

    • Jim Walls
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2010
        ** Maria Marsala ** wrote:
        > Page: http://www.coachmaria.com/ticket/

        Maria,
        The first thing I did was to run your page through the W3C
        validation service - http://validator.w3.org/ . It came up with 39
        errors. I would start there. That said, I did not see anything quickly
        that would cause the error you are seeing. I don't speak enough
        JavaScript to give you any specifics. I also note that I did not get
        any error using either FireFox or I.E.

        --
        73
        -------------------------------------
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2010
          Well, it's 4 incidences of "object undefined".... and it all comes from the Javascript you have inserted.

          I think my first recommendation would be to put all that embedded Javascript into external files instead. That in itself may clear up the error (and will likely give you an easier time using any code validators you might use).

          Michael Roush
          mdroush@...

          "The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect."
          -- Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web
          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2010
            ** Maria Marsala ** wrote:
            > Page: http://www.coachmaria.com/ticket/
            >
            > I do not understand error I'm getting, but I get that little yellow
            > icon on the bottom of the page in IE 8.0 Can someone tell me what I
            > need to fix? Webpage error details
            >

            > MESSAGE
            >

            > Message: 'object' is undefined
            >
            > Char: 1
            >
            > Code: 0
            >
            > URI: http://www.coachmaria.com/ticket/
            >

            > PROBLEM LINES

            <script type="text/javascript"
            src="http://www.clocklink.com/embed.js"></script><script
            type="text/javascript" language="javascript">obj=new
            object;obj.clockfile="0011-purple.swf";obj.timezone="PST";obj.width=125;obj.height=125;obj.wmode="transparent";showClock(obj);</script>

            Ugh. Hideous code. Please learn how to use Javascript Object Notation
            (JSON) and apply proper whitespace.

            <script type="text/javascript"
            src="http://www.clocklink.com/embed.js"></script>

            <script type="text/javascript">
            showClock({
            clockfile : '0011-purple.swf',
            timezone : 'PST',
            width : 125,
            height : 125,
            wmode : 'transparent'
            });
            </script>

            That is WAY more readable (and probably works).

            Ph: 517-803-4197

            *NEW* MyTaskFocus 1.1
            Get on task. Stay on task.

            http://www.CubicleSoft.com/MyTaskFocus/
          • ** Maria Marsala **
            Message 5 of 6 , May 4, 2010
              Thanks Thomas and Michael -- I'll go try those things.

              I didn't write the script.

              I wonder why, so often, when I download code (html, js, etc) the code
              does not validate. \\\\

              Upwards and onwards,

              Maria Marsala

              Business Coach, Marketing Maven, Professional Speaker,
              Author, and former Wall Street Trader

              Insightful Solution$. Lasting Result$.

              Helping remarkable women CEOs get a life and future from their
              business
              by providing accountability, support and a (gentle) kick in the a**
              when needed.
              Learn more at Elevating Your Business.com

              Connect With Maria Online:

              http://www.Linkedin.com/in/mariamarsala
              http://www.Twitter.com/mariamarsala
              http://www.Facebook.com/coachmaria
              Message 6 of 6 , May 4, 2010
                ** Maria Marsala ** wrote:
                > Thanks Thomas and Michael -- I'll go try those things.
                >
                > I didn't write the script.
                >
                > I wonder why, so often, when I download code (html, js, etc) the code
                > does not validate. \\\\
                >
                > Upwards and onwards,
                >
                > Maria Marsala

                Validation really isn't all that important because the HTML/CSS
                Standards are broken to begin with.

                The question you should ask yourself is why the code you find on the
                Internet is broken. The answer to that is also fairly simple: Most
                programmers don't know how to write software but publish their code
                anyway. Then people like you, who don't know any better, clone that
                code exactly under the assumption that the code works and was written
                properly. Then you discover it isn't. This propagates broken code
                across the Internet.

                (And then everyone wonders why so many websites get hacked.)

                It is incredibly rare to find high quality code on the Internet that is
                ready to be used right away without needing serious modifications - and
                usually needs a complete rewrite. I've found this to be true for any
                language, not just Javascript.