Re: [HTML-on-the-WEB] Backslash vs. Slash

  • Michael Roush
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2010
      --- On Sun, 2/28/10, Thomas Hruska <thruska@...> wrote:

      > Lately, I've been hearing a LOT of
      > people refer to '/' as a backslash.
      > Anyone else encountering this phenomenon?

      Yes, increasingly so. Mostly I seem to hear it coming from people who don't know very much about web technology, but who perhaps want to sound as though they do. ("backslash" is one of those terms that only uber-geeky-techies use, you know.) Many people who don't spend a lot of time looking at lines of code might have to look for a second to determine whether something is a "slash" or a "backslash" even once they know the difference. I routinely see them backwards on, for instance, signs outside of restaurants that might advertise "2 FISH \ $2". I have yet to be confused for more than a second or two when someone says one when they mean the other. Makes a big difference in programming, but I can generally figure out what is meant when it's used on conversation.

      Michael