Message Boards & Blogs

  • save_the_earth_2003
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2010
      Hi All

      Question for you all. Am setting up a new website and we want to have a board and blog on it.

      What are two good sources for message boards and blogs that are 1 FREE as we are a non profit group and one member is paying for the site so do not want to be racking up large costs when there is no income coming in and 2 has to also be secure as the topic for our site is bound to draw in hackers from one particular party due to the topic we are discussing.

      So what suggestions would you make that are free and secure?

      I have used wordpress before would that be one possible choice? Guess depends how secure wordpress is.

      TIA
      Dave
    • Nigel Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2010
        Probably the most populas board and one that I use is PHPBB.
        I blog on Live Juornal.

        On 07-Jan-10 13:10, save_the_earth_2003 wrote:
        > Hi All
        >
        > Question for you all. Am setting up a new website and we want to have a board and blog on it.
        >
        > What are two good sources for message boards and blogs that are 1 FREE as we are a non profit group and one member is paying for the site so do not want to be racking up large costs when there is no income coming in and 2 has to also be secure as the topic for our site is bound to draw in hackers from one particular party due to the topic we are discussing.
        >
        > So what suggestions would you make that are free and secure?
        >
        > I have used wordpress before would that be one possible choice? Guess depends how secure wordpress is.
        >
        > TIA
        > Dave

        Nigel A. Gunn, 1865 El Camino Drive, Xenia, OH 45385-1115, USA. tel +1 937 825 5032
        Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF (was KC8NHF), e-mail nigel@... www http://www.ngunn.net
        Member of ARRL, GQRP #11396, QRPARCI #11644, SOC #548, Flying Pigs QRP Club International #385,
        Dayton ARA #2128, AMSAT-NA LM-1691, AMSAT-UK 0182, MKARS, ALC, GCARES, XWARN.
      • Scottish2
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2010
          Hi

          I have used PHPBB before also but was years ago not had a board in a few years. How secure is it as I know we will get hackers attempting to shut down the site so trying the best I can to secure it as much as possible.

          Dave

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 7, 2010
            Unfortunately, the more popular the software the more hack attempts you get because the hackers have more sites to
            practice on.
            Most board hackers seem interested in planting advertisements, not destroying or closing down your board so the best
            defence is for you to be vigilant and visit tour own site daily to check on new members.
            Capchas sort of work but users don't like them.

            What I found effective a couple of years ago was to ask a question on the sign up form with the answer being posted on a
            the page carrying the link to the board.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 7, 2010
              Well in this case it would be a direct attack as the group that is hacking sites like mine is doing it for a purpose and do whatever they can to trash the site. Unfortunately this is something we have to deal with to have the site open and we know this headache will be coming with this job.

              And yeah I think it might be PHP but they have a hack that when you join up it asks a random question and you have to answer it to proceed is pretty much bot proof. I know I am admin on one website and the webmaster and I have had very little problems since she installed the hack only a couple of people and those have been humans registering most likely as bots have not been an issue since.

              Unfortunately, the more popular the software the more hack attempts you get because the hackers have more sites to
              practice on.
              Most board hackers seem interested in planting advertisements, not destroying or closing down your board so the best
              defence is for you to be vigilant and visit tour own site daily to check on new members.
              Capchas sort of work but users don't like them.

              What I found effective a couple of years ago was to ask a question on the sign up form with the answer being posted on a
              the page carrying the link to the board.

              On 07-Jan-10 13:34, Scottish2 wrote:
              > Hi
              >
              > I have used PHPBB before also but was years ago not had a board in a few years. How secure is it as I know we will get hackers attempting to shut down the site so trying the best I can to secure it as much as possible.
              >
              > Dave

            • kemark9
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 7, 2010
                Wordpress is free (lots of templates out there for a nice custom look) and there is a plugin that creates a message board for it.

                Margaret Norkett
                http://eyespi20.com
                http://myreadingnook.com
                http://travelinshow.com

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 7, 2010
                  save_the_earth_2003 wrote:
                  > Hi All
                  >
                  > Question for you all. Am setting up a new website and we want to have a board and blog on it.
                  >
                  > What are two good sources for message boards and blogs that are 1 FREE as we are a non profit group and one member is paying for the site so do not want to be racking up large costs when there is no income coming in and 2 has to also be secure as the topic for our site is bound to draw in hackers from one particular party due to the topic we are discussing.
                  >
                  > So what suggestions would you make that are free and secure?
                  >
                  > I have used wordpress before would that be one possible choice? Guess depends how secure wordpress is.
                  >
                  > TIA
                  > Dave

                  I have security-audited several forum software packages and MyBB is the
                  one I now lean heavily toward. MyBB is well-written in a style similar
                  to my own coding methods and has a large community surrounding it. It
                  still has security issues (IMO) but nothing serious. At least nothing
                  like PHPBB, where making comments to others such as "PHPBB is secure",
                  will result in much snickering and ridicule by anyone in the IT realm.

                  On the blog software front, I've security-audited the various blogging
                  platforms out there and nothing exists that is any good
                  (security-wise...including WordPress). However, of all the blogging
                  packages available, only WordPress is any "good". The coding is
                  horrible, the package is bloated and slow (even with Google Gears and
                  all the caching plugins you can throw at it), the available plugins are
                  NOT security-audited and VERY poorly written, the documentation is
                  abysmal, painful debugging sessions (white screen of death), difficult
                  upgrades, and literally impossible to move to another website. I've
                  developed quite a few plugins for WordPress and know the WordPress MU
                  (Multi-User) edition inside and out, so I know what I'm talking about.
                  If you think WordPress is hard to use/program for, try WordPress MU.

                  WordPress also has forum software for it via a plugin, but I **HIGHLY**
                  recommend using a separate, dedicated package. You'll end up skinning
                  two separate apps (forum and blog) but will be worth it.

                  I can't recommend ANY plugins for WordPress. They are all so badly
                  written, I end up rolling my own.

                  My security-audits are a two-fold approach: Research on sites like
                  Secunia followed by an in-depth analysis of the code. Simple things
                  like, "Is there consistent whitespace between elements" tells a LOT
                  about the codebase and the author(s) (artists...or hacks?). And it is
                  usually directly correlated to how many security exploits you encounter
                  on the security sites. My rule of thumb for "secure" is "zero known
                  security exploits in the last six months".

                  Ph: 517-803-4197

                  *NEW* MyTaskFocus 1.1
                  Get on task. Stay on task.

                  http://www.CubicleSoft.com/MyTaskFocus/