Re: [HTML-on-the-WEB] Google service - POORLY described ?

  • Scottish2
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2009
      Yes I agree poorly laid out but great service that does work unlike so many feed services.

      I used it on a friends website he had a blog on the site and we used it to feed a few of the newest blog posts to his home page. Works great if you needing a feed despite how the site looks it does work.

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2009
        Gordon Stewart wrote:
        > i went to a website, & subscribed to get emails on any updates to the
        > site (or so i think ?)
        >
        > I ended up here - To confirm i wanted to subscribe :-
        > http://feedburner.google.com/
        >

        > I finished the subscription service thingee)
        >
        > However, this google site is poorly laid out (in comparison to other
        > google sites)
        >
        > 1) What is its purpose ? - When I see 'feed' i think of RSS feeds - i
        > didn't 'subscribe' to an RSS feed..

        Yes you did.

        Feedburner deals with feeds only, and they have an "email the feed" option.

        > 2) Does it explain anything about daily / weekly emails when a website
        > has been updated ?

        When you subscribe, you will get an email from feedburner with blog
        posts for that day - If the blog was updated. It's daily. Delivery time
        is scheduled by the site owner (not Feedburner.)

        > 3) it shows a 'feed mechanic' - So I'm assuming it detects RSS feeds
        > & sees if they're OK...

        Correct.

        > but thats on the webmasters side of things - What about the USERS side
        > of things - why would i use that site ?

        It sounds like a problem with the site you're trying to get updates to -
        they're not making it clear that you are subscribing to an email of
        their rss feed. I install the feedburner subscription email thing all
        the time and it says "Subscribe to our Feed" out of the box. To make it
        more clear for users, the subscription form box is under an RSS graphic.

        > Am I lost ??

        Google didn't actually design the feedburner site. Feedburner did, and
        Google bought them out and made little or no changes.

        Regards,

        Joann