Hello.. - Blinking Tabs in browsers

  • Gordon Stewart
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 17, 2009
      Hi,

      On some screens (Eg Gmail, when a personn is chatting to you, the
      browser tab (Mozilla Firefox), blinks when the other person has typed
      - to let you know to go back to that screen/tab..

      Does anyone know how to use this ? & what is the process called (so I
      can at least start googling it),,,

      Are there any tutorials

      (will try & see how Gmail does it, but i guess I need to wait until
      someone chats to me)

      Freecycle Auckland :-
      http://www.freecycle.org/
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 17, 2009
        Gordon Stewart wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > On some screens (Eg Gmail, when a personn is chatting to you, the
        > browser tab (Mozilla Firefox), blinks when the other person has typed
        > - to let you know to go back to that screen/tab..
        >
        > Does anyone know how to use this ? & what is the process called (so I
        > can at least start googling it),,,
        >
        > Are there any tutorials
        >
        > (will try & see how Gmail does it, but i guess I need to wait until
        > someone chats to me)

        I've never seen what you are referring to, but if I had to venture a
        guess, there is probably Javascript that watches for the focus on the
        "window" (tab) to go away/return (lose/gain focus) and then if "away",
        then the document.title is altered every so often (say every half
        second) and just simply sets the title to an empty string and then back
        to the previous string and then back to an empty string and then...
        Until the user sets the focus to the window again (probably looks for
        mouse movement).

        Ph: 517-803-4197

        *NEW* MyTaskFocus 1.1
        Get on task. Stay on task.