What is the utility that presents changing images

  • Robin Chapple
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 5, 2008
      Many years ago I had a program which would display images on my web
      site in a sequence and repeat that sequence.

      For instance an image could 'fade' and be replaced by the next image
      in the same position.

      I have forgotten it's name and can't remember the proper name for the
      function so that I can search.

      All ideas are welcome.

      Thanks,

      Robin Chapple
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 5, 2008
        Robin Chapple wrote:
        > Many years ago I had a program which would display images on my web
        > site in a sequence and repeat that sequence.
        >
        > For instance an image could 'fade' and be replaced by the next image
        > in the same position.
        >
        > I have forgotten it's name and can't remember the proper name for the
        > function so that I can search.
        >
        > All ideas are welcome.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Robin Chapple

        GIF Animator?

        There are so many better alternatives now. You can get the same effects
        with Javascript or Flash. GIF is an extremely limited format
        (especially on the color depth front).

        Ph: 517-803-4197

        *NEW* MyTaskFocus 1.1
        Get on task. Stay on task.

        http://www.CubicleSoft.com/MyTaskFocus/
      • Gary Krockover
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 5, 2008
          Shadowbox.

          GJK

          At 06:22 AM 11/5/2008, Robin Chapple wrote:
          >Many years ago I had a program which would display images on my web
          >site in a sequence and repeat that sequence.
          >
          >For instance an image could 'fade' and be replaced by the next image
          >in the same position.
          >
          >I have forgotten it's name and can't remember the proper name for the
          >function so that I can search.
          >
          >All ideas are welcome.
          >
          >Thanks,
          >
          >Robin Chapple

        • Nigel Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 5, 2008
            That looks like a neat utility.

            Despite my dislike for client side scripting, I've downloaded a copy to play with.
            I guess my likes and dislikes have to occationally give way to progress.

            Gary Krockover wrote:
            > Shadowbox.
          • Michael Roush
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 5, 2008
              --- On Wed, 11/5/08, Nigel Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF <nigel@...> wrote:

              > That looks like a neat utility.
              >
              > Despite my dislike for client side scripting, I've
              > downloaded a copy to play with.
              > I guess my likes and dislikes have to occationally give way
              > to progress.

              Some tools and technologies that used to be a complete barrier to people using assistive technologies have made a lot of strides in the past several years. For instance, Javascript, PDF files, and Flash animations used to equal instant inability to access the content for some people who weren't "average users" (with a monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.).

              That has changed, somewhat.

              That said, I think implementing technology like a rolling slideshow should bring to mind a couple of questions...

              1) How does this work (or does it work) for people who have javascript turned off? If you are conveying important information with the slideshow, you are requiring a particular configuration on the user's side to access your content. That just strikes me as being a poor business choice.

              2) Do users have the option of pausing or stopping the animation once they get bored/annoyed with it? And they will. It may look cool the first time or four, but it will either get boring, or annoying, or it may change while they are looking at one picture and weren't done yet, or some other reason.

              Give the user control. That's what separates Web technologies from TV or print, and it's the reason you can't just blanketly apply principles of TV or print advertising to all web media.

              Michael
            • Gary Krockover
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 5, 2008
                I have Shadowbox running on this client site:

                http://www.pjstoverstudio.com/galleries.html?type=Paintings

                If the user disables javascript, then the hyperlinked image opens normally (i.e., linked to the image), otherwise, Shadowbox runs and the user can thumb through the various images on the page.

                GJK

                At 09:50 AM 11/5/2008, Michael Roush wrote:
                >--- On Wed, 11/5/08, Nigel Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF <nigel@...> wrote:
                >
                >> That looks like a neat utility.
                >>
                >> Despite my dislike for client side scripting, I've
                >> downloaded a copy to play with.
                >> I guess my likes and dislikes have to occationally give way
                >> to progress.
                >
                >Some tools and technologies that used to be a complete barrier to people using assistive technologies have made a lot of strides in the past several years. For instance, Javascript, PDF files, and Flash animations used to equal instant inability to access the content for some people who weren't "average users" (with a monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.).
                >
                >That has changed, somewhat.
                >
                >That said, I think implementing technology like a rolling slideshow should bring to mind a couple of questions...
                >
                >1) How does this work (or does it work) for people who have javascript turned off? If you are conveying important information with the slideshow, you are requiring a particular configuration on the user's side to access your content. That just strikes me as being a poor business choice.
                >
                >2) Do users have the option of pausing or stopping the animation once they get bored/annoyed with it? And they will. It may look cool the first time or four, but it will either get boring, or annoying, or it may change while they are looking at one picture and weren't done yet, or some other reason.
                >
                >Give the user control. That's what separates Web technologies from TV or print, and it's the reason you can't just blanketly apply principles of TV or print advertising to all web media.
                >
                >Michael

              • Robin Chapple
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 5, 2008
                  At 6/11/2008 03:04 AM, Gary Krockover wrote:
                  >I have Shadowbox running on this client site:
                  >
                  >http://www.pjstoverstudio.com/galleries.html?type=Paintings
                  >
                  >If the user disables javascript, then the hyperlinked image opens
                  >normally (i.e., linked to the image), otherwise, Shadowbox runs and
                  >the user can thumb through the various images on the page.
                  >
                  >GJK

                  I have not made my needs clear.

                  In the previous program a single part of the page would 'host' a
                  series of images so that the visitor could sit and view a "Programme".

                  Robin Chapple
                • Greg
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 6, 2008
                    Check this out:

                    http://www.brothercake.com/site/resources/scripts/transitions/

                    Greg
                    www.Sites4All.net

                    --- In HTML-on-the-WEB@yahoogroups.com, Robin Chapple <robinski@...>
                    wrote:

                    > At 6/11/2008 03:04 AM, Gary Krockover wrote:
                    > >I have Shadowbox running on this client site:
                    > >
                    > >http://www.pjstoverstudio.com/galleries.html?type=Paintings
                    > >
                    > >If the user disables javascript, then the hyperlinked image opens
                    > >normally (i.e., linked to the image), otherwise, Shadowbox runs and
                    > >the user can thumb through the various images on the page.
                    > >
                    > >GJK
                    >
                    > I have not made my needs clear.
                    >
                    > In the previous program a single part of the page would 'host' a
                    > series of images so that the visitor could sit and view a "Programme".
                    >
                    > Robin Chapple

                  • Robin Chapple
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 6, 2008
                      Thanks Greg