htaccess...

  • Gordon Stewart
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2008
      Hi,

      Basically, I have an htaccess RewriteRule (which does work..)

      Basically it feeds all URL input - into the index.php script..

      RewriteRule ^([^/\.]+)/?$ index.php?view=$1 [L]

      PROBLEM / QUERY

      I have created a subdirectory of "http://www.domain/new/"

      Which I want to re-create (improve) the website code - in the new
      directory, without affecting the original site in the main
      directory...

      I have created this htaccess command

      RewriteRule ^/new/([^/\.]+)/?$ /new/$1 [L]
      RewriteRule ^([^/\.]+)/?$ index.php?view=$1 [L]

      I have also tried :- RewriteRule ^new/([^/\.]+)/?$ /new/$1 [L]

      HOWEVER, this does not work..

      Basically, I want the "new" directory to work independently, & to
      "skip" the rest of the htaccess commands in the main directory ...

      Does the [L] command stop the rest of the htaccess being executed - If
      it meets the criteria of the first line ?

      NZ community groups - community@...
      Freecycle Auckland :-
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2008
        Gordon Stewart wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Basically, I have an htaccess RewriteRule (which does work..)
        >
        > Basically it feeds all URL input - into the index.php script..
        >
        > RewriteRule ^([^/\.]+)/?$ index.php?view=$1 [L]
        >
        > PROBLEM / QUERY
        >
        > I have created a subdirectory of "http://www.domain/new/"
        >
        > Which I want to re-create (improve) the website code - in the new
        > directory, without affecting the original site in the main
        > directory...
        >
        > I have created this htaccess command
        >
        > RewriteRule ^/new/([^/\.]+)/?$ /new/$1 [L]
        > RewriteRule ^([^/\.]+)/?$ index.php?view=$1 [L]
        >
        > I have also tried :- RewriteRule ^new/([^/\.]+)/?$ /new/$1 [L]
        >
        > HOWEVER, this does not work..
        >
        > Basically, I want the "new" directory to work independently, & to
        > "skip" the rest of the htaccess commands in the main directory ...
        >
        > Does the [L] command stop the rest of the htaccess being executed - If
        > it meets the criteria of the first line ?

        Yes. But instead of modifying the parent .htaccess file, you can give
        the /new subdirectory its own .htaccess file.

        Ph: 517-803-4197

        *NEW* MyTaskFocus 1.1
        Get on task. Stay on task.

        http://www.CubicleSoft.com/MyTaskFocus/
      • Gordon Stewart
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2008
          On 1/6/08, Thomas Hruska <thruska@...> wrote:
          > > I have created this htaccess command
          > >
          > > RewriteRule ^/new/([^/\.]+)/?$ /new/$1 [L]
          > > RewriteRule ^([^/\.]+)/?$ index.php?view=$1 [L]
          > >
          > > I have also tried :- RewriteRule ^new/([^/\.]+)/?$ /new/$1 [L]
          > >
          > > HOWEVER, this does not work..
          > >
          > > Basically, I want the "new" directory to work independently, & to
          > > "skip" the rest of the htaccess commands in the main directory ...
          > >
          > > Does the [L] command stop the rest of the htaccess being executed - If
          > > it meets the criteria of the first line ?
          >
          > Yes. But instead of modifying the parent .htaccess file, you can give
          > the /new subdirectory its own .htaccess file.

          I know I need/can create seperate htaccess files :)

          - I'm off to bed now - Reply later

          However I CANT 'get' into the new directory at all

          the htaccess command (in the parent directory),

          RewriteRule ^([^/\.]+)/?$ index.php?view=$1 [L]

          Makes any "new" directory get passed as a variable in the index.php
          file of the parent directory..

          eg :- http://www.domain.com/new/1.php gets passed as a variable of

          http://www.domain.com/index.php?view=new/1.php (which is not what i want...)

          I want to tell the "parent" htaccess command to process the script
          HOWEVER the /new/ directory will be ignored by the script & will
          process whatever is in the /new/ directory.... - depending on what I
          put in the directory...

          (does that make sense ?) - Sorry, been awake for 19+ hours
          - Off to bed....

          Goodnight - Thanks....

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2008
            Gordon Stewart wrote:
            > On 1/6/08, Thomas Hruska <thruska@...> wrote:
            >>> I have created this htaccess command
            >>>
            >>> RewriteRule ^/new/([^/\.]+)/?$ /new/$1 [L]
            >>> RewriteRule ^([^/\.]+)/?$ index.php?view=$1 [L]
            >>>
            >>> I have also tried :- RewriteRule ^new/([^/\.]+)/?$ /new/$1 [L]
            >>>
            >>> HOWEVER, this does not work..
            >>>
            >>> Basically, I want the "new" directory to work independently, & to
            >>> "skip" the rest of the htaccess commands in the main directory ...
            >>>
            >>> Does the [L] command stop the rest of the htaccess being executed - If
            >>> it meets the criteria of the first line ?
            >> Yes. But instead of modifying the parent .htaccess file, you can give
            >> the /new subdirectory its own .htaccess file.
            >>

            > I know I need/can create seperate htaccess files :)
            >
            > - I'm off to bed now - Reply later
            >
            > However I CANT 'get' into the new directory at all
            >
            > the htaccess command (in the parent directory),
            >
            > RewriteRule ^([^/\.]+)/?$ index.php?view=$1 [L]
            >
            > Makes any "new" directory get passed as a variable in the index.php
            > file of the parent directory..
            >
            > eg :- http://www.domain.com/new/1.php gets passed as a variable of
            >
            > http://www.domain.com/index.php?view=new/1.php (which is not what i want...)
            >

            > I want to tell the "parent" htaccess command to process the script
            > HOWEVER the /new/ directory will be ignored by the script & will
            > process whatever is in the /new/ directory.... - depending on what I
            > put in the directory...
            >
            > (does that make sense ?) - Sorry, been awake for 19+ hours
            > - Off to bed....
            >
            > Goodnight - Thanks....

            You might want to look at RewriteCond rules and special-case the new
            directory to NOT be included in the global rule.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 5, 2008
              On 1/6/08, Thomas Hruska <thruska@...> wrote:

              > You might want to look at RewriteCond rules and special-case the new
              > directory to NOT be included in the global rule.

              I've found this :- (does work)....

              however the web page does not tell me what the commands actually do ...
              (I'll put that on my 2-do list to find out - How/why it works...)

              - The [NC] command

              RewriteEngine on
              RewriteCond %new/ -f [NC]
              RewriteRule .* - [L]
              RewriteRule ^([^/\.]+)/?$ index.php?view=$1 [L]

              NZ community groups - community@...
              Freecycle Auckland :-
            • Brutal Advantage Marketing
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 7, 2008
                Just thought you might like to know about a special I found.

                "LIMITED OFFER: WE ARE GIVING AWAY HOSTING, SELECT ANY ANNUAL WEB
                HOSTING PLAN AND PAY $0. OFFER ENDS 8/JAN/2008 12PM. LIMITED TO 1
                PER CUSTOMER. NEW SIGNUPS/ACCOUNTS ONLY.

                USE THIS COUPON CODE DURING SIGNUP: ALLFREE
                SPECIAL ALSO INCLUDES A FREE DOMAIN. NO GIMMICKS, NO CONDITIONS."

                There are only about 14 hours left for this, so if you're
                interested, check it out soon. :-)

                I took advantage of the special, myself, and it's true - no
                gimmicks, no conditions. I now have a new domain name for a new
                website I'm planning, and hosting for the next year - all gratis.
                I checked them out beforehand and everything seems like it's on
                the up-and-up. I was happy with the turnaround time for domain
                setup, too - within 5 minutes I had confirmation of the order,
                and within 30 they already had my domain and hosting ready to
                roll.

                Hope everyone's having a great 2008 so far!

                Melinda

                Brutal Advantage

                <http://brutaladvantage.com/> http://brutaladvantage.com

                "It's time to rise."